track tire experiences | FerrariChat

track tire experiences

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by otose, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. otose

otose Rookie

Nov 15, 2013
    Greetings - has anybody had good experiences with track tires? - searched a few threads without any luck. Looking at Pilot Sport Cup 2's, but open to other experiences & feedback.
    Can't get a perfect match on sizes for a 2001 550 (245mm vs 255mm OEM Front) (295/30-18 vs 295/35-18 Rear) - any thoughts on how this would impact handling?
    thank for looking.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i ran the pirelli corsa in the stock 19" sizes. i loved them so much i drove on the year round

3. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    +1👍

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What is a track tire? I'm a racer. There are slicks...full race tire. There are DOT race tires not really for street and not really streetable. There are high performance street tires that can be used on track like the mich ps2, conti extremecontact sport. There are a bunch of 200TRW street tires for track and auto-x that meet class rules for some spec street tire classes.

I think the best street tire is the continential extremecontact sport which replaces the really great conti DW extreme. It has the best balance for great dry grip and wet performance.

5. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    I think I the pirelli and nitto are the only ones making stock sizes.

She's a portly thing so I wouldn't want to go down to a 245 front section width.

I've been asked about lack of treadwell but frankly don't care if they last 4 to 5k miles. How much do you drive a ferrari anyway...

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    That's treadwear

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Most people are probably driving on old, hard tires.

I'd bet majority of wipe outs in low mile cars is because people don't replace their tires every 4-5 years.

8. philfrench

philfrench Karting

Jan 3, 2012
    France
    Hello
    You shoud go with Cup 2 .
    I use them on Nordsleife Spa Monza etc...and go back home with them:they are street legal and often used on F cars on your size.
    .They really last a lot.
    You feel safe with them by the feeling at the end:they don t slip fast but slowly..
    Enjoy

9. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    +100

nothing more dangerous, IMHO - look at the Porsche Carrera GT that Paul Walker died in. RIP

10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    exactly... anything you get is going to likely time out by age vs wear. 50k mile warranty isn't going to do you any good.

only issue with the DOT R type tires is that they tend to pickup and throw little stone so if your as OCD as I am you stay awake worrying about road rash. :)

11. otose

otose Rookie

Nov 15, 2013
    Appreciate all the feedback and discussion - was interested in tires that could go to the track and then drive the car back home. To the point of some of the feedback, not a lot of mileage is normally put on the car outside of track days and a bit of summer back country driving. Have checked availability and it seems like only the 19 inch tires are available in our original widths.

12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Love R888's

Sent from my 16M

13. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    This. The Contis are affordable and good. I have tracked my car twice with these on it and they were fine. They held up and did not overheat. Good under braking, good handling. I was impressed, given that the 550 is such a heavy car.