Looking for 550 or 575M Original Radio | FerrariChat

Looking for 550 or 575M Original Radio

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Gianni_430_Scud, Mar 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gianni_430_Scud

Feb 12, 2015
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Gianni
    Hello All,

I recently purchased a 550 Maranello in Japan that I exported to Canada. The last non-original part to replace is the radio, which is has been difficult to find.

I received the following informative message from Maranello Classic Parts in the UK (thank you MCP).

"Originally they would have had either a Sony or Becker stereo – one would assume normally a Sony unit for Japan. If you have the last 6 numbers of the VIN we can check that and see what it tells us. Original part number for the USA/Canadian market Sony radio is 174266 and the Becker number was 177783 (also used in the 575M). These were normally radio cassette units with the option of a CD changer as well.

The actual radio connections are pretty standard right across the range, but most audio places (certainly over here) have fly leads that can adapt most connections as well in the case of different style connectors.

Bad news is that these units are all long sold out at the Factory. You would have to go checking for a secondhand unit from a car where someone has changed one out I suspect."

So if anyone here has any leads to finding an original 550 Sony/Becker radio or 575M Becker radio, please let me know and you'd make me a very happy man!

Regards,
    Gianni

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #2 greyboxer, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Place a WTB ad on the classifieds here or search eBay. I've looked in the past at these and they seem pretty easy to source used from eBay or other used parts places.

Best!

4. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #4 deeprivergarage, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    I think the Ferrari/Becker BE-6105 is the best OEM radio for the 550/575.

The BE-6104 is also good, but I like the Ferrari digital graphics on the BE-6105 better.

If you buy a non-Ferrari Becker for about $50.00, it will fit and work, but won't have the Ferrari digital graphics when you turn it on.

There are several (Ferrari Becker) on eBay most of the time. Generally they are over $500 with the code, but if you are not in a hurry they can be found for a lot less money. FerrParts had a new one a few months ago.

I bought one for about $200 as is, but had to get the code from an eBay vendor for $6.00.

I also had to buy new wiring harness terminals (1-power, 1-speaker) because the OEM terminals had been cut off to install after market radios, before I bought the cars. I actually bought VW terminals, but had to switch a couple wires in the terminal connector to match the Ferrari radio. Physically they plug into the radio the same, but a couple wires are reversed. You can see the wiring diagram on the radio.

New knobs can also be purchased on eBay.

Good luck.

5. Gianni_430_Scud

Feb 12, 2015
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Gianni
    Hello All,

Thank you for your advice. I found a Becker BE4372, P/N 177783 on E-bay USA asking $1,000 USD. I was told by Maranello Classic Parts, an official distributor of Ferrari original parts, that this is the correct model for my 1997 550 Maranello, although there were other models also available from Sony and Becker. There was no mention in the E-bay ad of the code number, so I have asked the seller if its available.

Ferrari 360, 355, 550, 575, Becker Radio With Cassette Player, Used P/N 177783 | eBay
    or
    Ferrari 360, 355, 550, 575, Becker Radio With Cassette Player, Used P/N 177783 | Exotic Auto Recycling

Since this part is on auction with no bidders so far, I'll wait for a reply about the code number, then decide to make a bid. In the interim, I'll continue to search for a Sony or Becker cassette/CD radio that would be correct for a 1997 550.

Thanks again to all!

Regards,
    Gianni

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Gianni- Getting the code is easy, so do not let that influence your decision. If you buy it and can read the serial number on the E-Bay photos, you can have the code before you have the stereo.

7. Gianni_430_Scud

Feb 12, 2015
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Gianni
    Terry,

As always, thank you, good information to know.

Regards,
    Gianni

8. Gianni_430_Scud

Feb 12, 2015
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Gianni
    Thanks for your reply and guidance. I found a "new in-the-box" Ferrari/Becker BE-6105 on E-bay USA, but it had a manufacturing date of 09/07 which is 10 years after my 1997 550 was built. So I suspect that this model was probably not used in my 550, but more likely used in later 550s, 575Ms, and F430s, although the E-bay add referenced 360/430.

I'm overseas on business and do not have access to my Ferrari audio manual, otherwise I'd know exactly the original radio make and model...yikes!

But thanks for your assistance and if you have any other suggestion or reference, I'm all ears!

Regards,
    Gianni

9. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I would say don't feel rushed, these are plentiful. Honestly, I'm not sure how much help your manual will be, sometimes, it seems that Ferrari put in any stereo they had lying around-- I don't think they gave much thought to that part.

10. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    #10 ///Mink, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Becker CD would not have been original to your 1997 550, the Sony cassette would. This is what you need, if you're going for originality. It's basically a Sony XR-F20 with a Ferrari logo glued to the front.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #11 308 GTB, Mar 11, 2017
  12. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    #12 ///Mink, Mar 11, 2017
    Ah, that's right. The XR-C720 becomes the XR-F20 with the application of the Ferrari badge and black paint.

If you're going to be super retentive, you should also locate a "Hi Fi System" manual, which is nothing more than a Sony-printed owner's manual with a red Ferrari cover.

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I think the only difference between the two units were the faceplates. I've seen them sold separately from time to time on eBay. Same with the radio heads and CD changers.

14. Gianni_430_Scud

Feb 12, 2015
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Gianni
    Hello All,

Many thanks for all of the advice. Although I have not found a Sony F20 radio/cassette player yet, I have found a Sony CD Changer Stereo Radio CDX F20, that I assume was the CD player option in a 550. Can anyone confirm this is correct, and also, where was it located (glove box, trunk, etc.)?

And if anyone knows of a "Hi Fi System" manual for sale, please let me know.

Regards,
    Gianni

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    On the 575 the cd changer was in the trunk right side - 550 probably same - maybe easiest to look at the online parts book at Ricambi for confirmation & bracket details

16. Gianni_430_Scud

Feb 12, 2015
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Gianni
    Thanks for introducing me to Ricambi...very information site. They do have the bracket and stereo diagrams for the radio and the CD player, but it does not show where it's located in the car.

Regards,
    Gianni

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    By the sound quality of these factory systems, Ferrari must have redefined the term hi-fi for themselves (to the worse). The sound is so bad, it can be used for traffic announcements but not much more in my opinion. It would be better if they did not put a stereo in their cars at all if this is the best they were able to offer.

18. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Yes, the CDX-F20 is the changer you're looking for. On the 550, it's mounted on the upper left side of the trunk.

19. Gianni_430_Scud

Feb 12, 2015
    Edmonton Alberta
    Full Name:
    Gianni
    Hello Greyboxer and Mink,

Thank you both for your replies and guidance.

The best I was able to find in the past 2 months is the next generation Ferrari radio (Becker BE 6105 P-N 217283) that has the CD player built into the radio (and no longer a separate CD changer in the trunk). I deal with 2 Ferrari dealerships, so I'm hoping between them, they can get this "new" radio working.

I purchased this car in Japan and imported it into Canada and the existing Japanese aftermarket radio/GPS doesn't work here (just makes a lot of static noise). So by at least having a Ferrari branded radio, I'm hoping we can get it to work.

But I'm still searching for an original 550 radio, Sony XR-F20, if anyone sees it online or knows where to buy it. (I'm guessing that Ferrari would put a Sony in a Japanese car and not the German Becker.)

Regards,
    Gianni

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #20 308 GTB, Apr 16, 2017
  21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I might have the hi-fi manual for the Sony. I considder to sell my later version Becker 2000/2001/2002 model Becker/Ferrari head unit too. It has a build-in cassette player behind the flip-out screen. I also have the 1999 Becker CD-changer. Both working fine. Considder to upgrade to something more modern. Both are European versions with eaven and uneaven numbers on the FM band transmitter. And for the real dinosaur-radio-enthusiasts, I can confirm that it also has AM radio!!

22. WHSclub

WHSclub Rookie

Mar 28, 2018
    Is the BE4372 the original for a year 2000 550?

23. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have a BE4377 fitted to mine

24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
  25. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The Becker system is a much better choice than the SONY. SONY no longer repairs the XR-F20. Factory Car Stereo Repair in Florida provides fine repair service for the unit these days. But the SONY CD changer skips something awful over the slightest road surface irregularity.