The cheapest (estimated) 456 I have seen | FerrariChat

The cheapest (estimated) 456 I have seen

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Mar 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  2. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Right place to buy a commercial auto auction house, wrong place to sell, bit like Mecums Auction It's from my observations a restomod Auction place.
    Nowhere enough details about this car although it does appear to a good service history . My guess is it will get bought and sorted and be back on the market for a lot more.

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That's one hell of a car. If it had the steering on the "right" side, I would have bought it.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wonder if she needs valve guides? Not as expensive to fix in the UK as in the US, though, if she does. Labor rates seem to be cheaper.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Yes, Graeme, agree. I bought my Testarossa there, a while back, at a great price. Always wonder why someone would consign a Ferrari there. But I was grateful they did. A very honest operation too with none of the annoying slickness of some houses. Cars drive or are pushed past the gavel. You need to fight your way through the men in sheepskin coats to take a look. The restaurant is a pie counter.

I wonder, though, if this will be one of those cars that busts its estimate by 300 per cent!

For 15k plus the valve guides etc, however, I would be tempted to buy it and use it for the school run!

6. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #6 au-yt, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    The lumpy running could be an indicator however I recon at nearly 90,000ks they would have been done, mine (5 copper guides) was embarrassing at 28,000.

I'd suspect that if the Auction company is using an industry price guide like the Australian red book, that's what the automated system tells them the price is milage and at 19 years old it's almost scrap value.

7. Monsieur Yoge

Monsieur Yoge Karting

May 20, 2016
    Beautiful car, 20k is a steal

Timeless combo, are there many high mile 456's around?

8. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Some discussion on pistonheads re this car
    Has apparently has failed its MOT and vendor suspects a "valve issue" with the engine.

9. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Running rough and high HC or other emission test failure can be other things than valves/guides. Together with TT bearings it does suggest a serious bill on the horizon. Still a very low estimate, could be a bargain.

10. number46

number46 Karting

Jun 21, 2005
    London
    And the 'noisy torque' !!!!! that will be cheap to fix!!!!

11. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #11 2000 456M, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    The valve guides and new valves ground from Manley blanks cost me about $10k. The torque tube cost is due primarily to the ridiculously expensive (3 of them at $894.50/ each at Ricambi) bearings. Somewhere in the universe there has to be cheaper substitutes that aren't made of vibranium.

12. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    Thats how much these cars ought to be so that people who want to buy thier first ferraris can climb up the ladder. In recent years 550 512 tr and even some of the v8 models have begun to go up in value. Why??? i do not understand. I used to have a spare 98 model 355 B standard car with manual gearbox and red car with black leather. i sold the car to a london dealer for £22k back in 08. Same cars are asking for close to 100k why, when where???

I could not give my 612 away and decent money let alone get a good price.

13. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Once apon a time I would have agreed, however classic car maket has moved on significantly
    Modern classics 456 550 575 as they are referred to now have become the favourite of the market of late.
    If people want an entrant level Ferrari the Mondial is still affordable.

14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I don't really think many of those cars are selling. It's a fishing expedition in most cases it seems.

It's also a result of low interest rates for nearly a decade. The bubble will burst at some point...my bet is on the rise of rates being the catalyst.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    This car sold for £37,800.

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I had a local Australian collector ring me about this car, as he knows the Auctioneer and wanted some insight into what the repairs would cost.
    My take was add 10k uk for the valves, 2k for the bearing, so we are already up to 50UK, not that cheap after all. the price they got was as much as you would want to pay, and much better than the estimate.