456 Clutch Master DIY | FerrariChat

456 Clutch Master DIY

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by cls, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 cls, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While working on my interior, I noticed my clutch master cylinder had a leak on the inside. Pic 1. Replacement is straightforward, the new part is shared by many cars and is inexpensive to buy. Unfortunately, the new masters come black painted rather than cast like the originals, but I couldn't find any alternatives and didn't want to have mine rebuilt (maybe later.)

Start on the inside and remove the 13mm bolt and nut that secures the pedal to the plunger.

Then, after protecting adjacent surfaces, remove the top hose. I capped mine with a bolt while working (pic 2.) If you want, you can bleed fluid from the lines in order to minimize the chance of a spill. The bleeder is located under a cover plate, under the car between the cats, shown in pics 4-5.

Next, remove the 13mm hose end from the lower hose (red.) A crowfoot wrench helps.

Then, remove the 10mm nuts from the pedal board to master. The lower nut is hard to reach and needs the right size extension to grab it.

Remove the fork from the original master and install it on the new master, then install and bleed the system.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login