456 drive experience | FerrariChat

456 drive experience

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JM35, Apr 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM35

JM35 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Texas
    Guys,
    What is your drive experience at high speed I mean above 120Mph with your car ?

How do you feel the car in general ?
    How do you feel the steering ?

J

2. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Very planted and composed. A bit of wind noise, but nothing crazy. Feels the same as driving a regular car at half that.

In fact, I'd say that you could comfortably cruise at that speed for a long, long time and not get tired, sore or fed up (unlike most sports cars). The steering feel isn't at all skittish or lightened, and the car actually feels much happier. The only issue, of course, becomes fuel consumption. The steering feel isn't at all skittish or lightened, and the car actually feels much happier--right in the powerband, but still with plenty of reserve. You barely notice minor road imperfections either.

3. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

Very stable. With the suspension on the hard setting, and the spoiler obviously engaged, it's simply bolted to the road. I had a chance to drive my wife's car for extended periods of time between 200 and 250 kph, and it was brilliant. Long sweepers at 200, then squeeze the throttle to 250. As said previously, the wind noise is there to let you know you are stonking along, but if your windows have been sorted properly, it's minimal. (Over 160kph, the window ecu's push the windows a little harder upwards). And the sound of that engine!!......

4. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    my experience is that the steering starts to feel different over 150mph.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Having just rebuilt my suspension from ground up, I can tell you that every little neglected detail adds up to a sloppy car. Luckily with the 456 parts really aren't that expensive for a complete suspension rebuild. Once everything is refreshed, your car will behave like a Ferrari (if you're implying that it's not now.)

6. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Like others have said, very stable; no drama. I really love the car more and more each day. I've kept it at least twice as long as any other exotic rides I've owned. As Hammond said in his M&M piece, "no other car gives you such a sense of occasion."

7. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Had my 456 at Mosport,a fast track. 150mph up the back straight. Very stable, But I have 13" wide tires on the back. With standart tires and wheels the car runs looser.

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I must see what mine is like on the track to experience that.

The car has a sense of occasion from startup and there ability to raise the nose at speeds well above where most cars has run out of puff never ceases to impress.

9. sully456

sully456 Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Steve O'Sullivan
    What did you do/replace for the rebuild, I have purchased a set of front and rear Superperformance upgraded bushes, what else did you replace?

I have already replaced the bombs and have a set of rebuilt shocks to install.

10. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Sorry my mistake, i didn't read the title, mine is a 550.

11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    All bushings including sway bars, all ball joints, rebuilt shocks from Delta Vee, and bombs.

12. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Nice and firm. :)

I keep the shocks soft unless I drive faster than 130mph which is when I like them in the hardest setting. Still pleasant at 160mph, I haven't driven much faster as there was always too much traffic on the Autobahn. :D

Standard car with one exception: 550 wheels with brand new Michelin PSS's.

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The 456 flies even on uneaven ground.

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I agree with that, Aussie back roads which I like, are just that, back roads, and the car handles these far better than a GT like this should should, part of that is there is still some sidewall compliance with the 17" rims.

15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I agree. I travelled from Stockholm to Oslo in just over three houres through the forest.. This trip usually takes about 6 houres in a normal car. That tells about the qualities...

16. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    These cars were built for high speed long distance motoring, so comfort and security at high speeds should not be a surprise.

17. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    id say, very well planted up to around 170mph, starts feeling a little light around there... and the brakes aren't really up to that speed...

however, up to 130mph or so, a very composed gt...