Curious beeping. | FerrariChat

Curious beeping.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Impounder, Apr 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    So driving the 575 to the Long Beach Grand Prix yesterday with my son we noticed that when we were driving, primarily at a stop light, we occasionally heard this faint beeping sound underneath the dash. Once we started moving it would stop. No warning lights on the dash, car runs fine, just back from service.
    I have never heard this in all the years of driving this car. Does anybody have a clue as to what this may be?

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It beeps because it wants you to go much much faster... 😉 Happy easter!

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F1 system will beep at you if it is not happy, but that is usually accompanied by an F1 warning lamp. Leave her in 1st gear on level ground and take your foot off the brake. If the beep you hear (only one as she goes to neutral after a short delay) is the same, something is not quite right with the F1 system. Probably time to change the fluid, check for leaks, bleed and have PIS adjusted. Needs to be done every 3 years at a minimum.

4. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    The same happened to me driving my 456GT 6-speed the other day: while on the highway I started hearing this faint, rhythmic beeps/chirps, at the rate of maybe one every three-four seconds, coming from somewhere under the dashboard or maybe immediately below the windshield area.

It was a fairly hot day, and the A/C fan was pushing significant air into the cabin: I almost thought that maybe the A/C fan was causing the rhythmic chirping due to, maybe, dry bearings or what have you (it has happened to me on two other cars in the past).

I arrived at my destination and turned off the car: no more beeps/chirps. About three hours later I got back in the car, turned it on, started driving and only heard one very short instance of the same noise: but it only lasted for a few seconds and then quit.

I haven't heard any more of it in the past several days (I drive this car nearly every day) - and I did drive on nearly all instances with the A/C fan on.

Plain weird :)

5. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I had an aftermarket trunk release installed in my 575. The install is similar to an aftermarket alarm but no siren or sensor. I kept hearing a ticking from that area until I deactivated (via new fob fir trunk) it's Alarm.

Doubt it's similar but maybe security?

6. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Not sure if it is all related but you maybe right Taz. Last week I came to a quick stop and shut off the car, when I went to restart it wouldn't fire up. It cranked but just wouldn't fire. After a bunch of tries I finally called a tow truck, when we pushed the car a foot or two as to line it up with the flatbed I tried one more time and it seemed to fix the problem.
    I wonder if it just needs to be plugged into a computer and reset. The part that sucks is I just got it back from being in service for over a month and had everything checked out.

You know we have a list of serial numbers and vin's, we should start compiling a list of all the gremlins, I guarantee it would be longer.

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    A K40 Radar Detector/Laser Defuser will beep if a receiver is dirty or there is a faulty connection.

8. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    It could also be the seat belt warning, which chirps if you drive without it.
    The switch in the buckle can act weird and trigger the chirps occasionally. I disconnected mine and the problem is gone. It's easy, there is a connector under the seat, just follow the cable from the buckle.

Stefano

9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    These beeps are very strange. I have never ever experienced it Even after 60.000kms. in 456M and 550, both manual cars.

10. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    I have a Valentine Radar, thought it maybe that but I disconnected the detector. Seat belt is always on. The interesting thing is the beep is very faint, it is not pronounced like the reverse beep or other warning beeps. I also spoke with my repair shop and they have never heard of this before.

My only other thoughts would be my wife put a tracking device in my car and the battery is running low, or there is a Gremlin under the dash playing the old handheld football game from the 80's.

11. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Have you been acting out with your Russian buddies? NSA tracking you? Perhaps a broader view might enlighten this faint beeping....just a perverse thought....

12. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Found it!

In my case the beep/squeak that occurred about every five seconds or so was due to the A/C compressor clutch. The compressor would produce a noise halfway between a squeak and a beep (more squeaking than beeping, really, but very close) every time it engaged.

A/C off = no beep/squeak. This quickly led to inoperative A/C.

The problem was found to be relay B and relay G as shown in the user manual. Not knowing which one was at fault I just replaced both. Once those two relays were replaced not only did the A/C started blowing cold air again, but also the noise is now gone. Perhaps one of the bad relays was providing insufficient current to the clutch that, in turn, engaged more slowly or even partially (if that is at all possible), therefore producing the noise.

Hope this helps!

13. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Well done, and thanks for updating the thread with the solution.

I normally prefer to diagnose a problem, but in the case of relays, they're so cheap, it really is easier to just throw in a batch of new ones, when in doubt.

14. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    #15 Impounder, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Took the car out again yesterday and narrowed down the weird beeping. It started after about 15 minutes of driving. It happens when I pull to a complete stop, foot on the brake, once I release the brake it will beep exactly three times as soon as I step on the accelerator. It happened continuously for about 6 to 7 stops. It is a very dim beep.

I stopped to get gas and turn the car off, I drove it home, quick 2 minutes from the fuel stop, it did not make the sound again. I looked under the dash and the only thing that looked out of place was this disconnected connector. But cant see where to put it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login