Feeling blue | FerrariChat

Feeling blue

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Apr 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    #1 Themaven, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I had to go and pick up the 488 Spider I am reviewing over the Easter week (tough job, and a great sacrifice on my part to do this myself rather than send a writer).

Uniquely among car brands, Ferrari here insist that their review cars are picked up from their head office in the unlovely townlet of Slough, a little west of London. Big TV shows send a minion, usually I take the 15 minute fast train ride out and then a taxi smelling of last night's kebabs.

This time, they kindly agreed to take my 575 in 'part exchange' for the week, parking it securely inside; and what do you know, the 488 is also blue. Corsa, rather than TDF.

I actually had a pang, leaving the 575 there; there aren't many cars I'd actually rather drive than a manual 575 with FHP, but the convertible roof and sunny weather made me more cheerful. (Very first world pang, I know).

Anyway, I think I prefer TdF as a colour, what does anyone else think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, my 456M is Tdf and I love the color in the sunshine. But that Corsa looks pretty nice as well. Not quite as electric as Interlagos (BMW) but brighter and bluer than TdF.

Tough choices....

3. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    On the right we see a premier league football player wearing Kayne West sneakers on his way to pick up his botox enhanced WAG.

What was your question?

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    There are no substitute for dark blue V12 Ferraris...

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    TDF definitely a keeper colour of the two, but I prefer darker colours in V12s.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    So that's why all the girls I drove past were smiling at me today...

Only connoisseurs notice the 575 and I rather like it that way.

Can't argue with the 488's performance. I'm about to embark on a longer tour in it, and slightly wondering if I'd rather be driving the TdF car. We will see..

7. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I love TdF.

What wheels do you have? Those look bigger than stock.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    On the 575? Stock wheels. Must be the camera angle.

9. Vereeken

Vereeken Formula Junior

May 16, 2014
    Belgium
    Oh yes performance wise the 488 would be miles ahead. But the performance of cars has far exceeded my driving talents since the early 90's.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I second that. I usually joke about this, but all jokes have some truth in it: a V12 Ferrari is a gentleman, classy, dignified, its power evident while understated. It reminds me of a quote by former british prime minister Margaret Thatcher: "Being powerful is like being a lady: if you have to tell people you are, you aren't". Or like a taylor-made suit: extremely elegant, but you should have it in a classic colour, not yellow or pink.

A Ferrari V8 is a bit of a bar brawler: it just wants to go fast, accelerate and rub it in your face. It's loud. Nothing understated about it.

Not sure I managed to stress the right analogies nor if I expressed myself correctly, english not being my mother tongue, but in my humble opinion it kind of shows why more classic, neutral, clean, discreet colours are the perfect match for a V12, whereas more flashy and extravagant colours are a better match for a V8.

If you try to have a refined V12 GT in a V8 colour, you'll end up with something of a mismatch and if you decide to paint your V8 in a discreet colour, you'll end up with a car that isn't living to its full visual potential.

That said, the Blue Corsa is a very striking and beautiful colour for the 488 and if I'm not mistaken, it was the colour with which Ferrari elected to paint its first 488 Spider to present to the public. I wouldn't select it for any V12.

Wish Darius a series of extremely pleasant trips. Hope you enjoy the 488 in good health and that it provides you with lots of writing material!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    L'amour est bleu.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTo9-lmZ6oE[/ame]

:)

12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is only the youth that drives around with turbos. Gentlemen have moderation and a stable conduct.

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It is only the youth that drives around with turbos. Gentlemen have moderation and a stable conduct.

14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #14 308 GTB, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    As the owner of a TdF Maranello and a Rosso Corsa Maranello I can't have a favourite...or I do, but it varies, as do my other preferred colours. Certainly if I were specifying a Maranello right now from the factory I'd order it as follows:
    575, gated manual, HGTC, TdF on Crema, blue carpets, dark blue piping on the Daytonas, dark blue shelf, shields.
    I'm around 95% of the way there with mine...and I am liable to change my mind (about the colour, and the model) on a daily basis.
    But I wouldn't go for Azzuro Corsa on a Maranello, I don't think. Or white. Though the press F12 was Bianco Avus and looked pretty good. Hmmm...