Do my Tubi back boxes add any hp to my 575? | FerrariChat

Do my Tubi back boxes add any hp to my 575?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Apr 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have Tubi back boxes, which sound great. (They are also around half the weight of the surprisingly heavy OEM back boxes which weigh around 17kg each.) Everything else is OEM, and its assembly number is just before the exhaust straight centre pipe change.

All I know about exhausts, which is not much, tells me that, because the point of most resistance is further up the pipes, the back boxes make zero difference to either hp or anything to do with engine operation. They just make a nice noise.

Maybe the weight saving (in total, the weight of a decent suitcase) makes a marginal difference to both performance and handling, but that's not to do with engine function anyway.

Is this correct?

2. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    ..if only Fabio were around to answer such questions. I wonder if there can be a statute of limitations, amnesty, or general forgiveness to allow such a valued contributor back onto Fchat.

3. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #3 Konadog06, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Darius, your thoughts are in line. Difficult to measure differences with silencers alone, likely single digit hp changes at best. Removing the center resonator would be a slightly better result. There are actually numerous restrictions in our exhaust. Besides the manifolds and cats, the rear pipes around the transmission and the factory "straight pipes" have numerous crimps and bends to allow for clearance. Included on those straight pipes and rarely mentioned are heat shields with a mat material inside around the trans area. Those crimps and bends have to accommodate space for those as well, all inhibiting air flow.

Most of the restriction however is at the front. As you mentioned replacing pieces upstream accomplishes most with Fabio's complete system adding about 10% hp per his research.

Bill
    FL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Send a PM to Rob and see if he will change his mind. I already tried unsuccessfully.

In general, any lessening of back pressure will result in a slight increase in hp, and the Tubis will do that. To take full advantage, the center muffler/resonator/cork needs to be replaced with straight pipes (maybe too loud with Tubis), X-pipes, or one of Sergio's H pipes (straight pipes with balance tubes). That will probably loosen 10-20 hp compared to the OEM center piece. Since you already have Tubis, no big deal to fiddle with replacing the center resonator, which is really restrictive.

5. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I cut my OEM rear boxes open and looked inside... they seem to be very restrictive compared to "straight-through" mufflers such as Capristo, Tubi and several others. According to the 550 press kit, the superb exhaust system has variable back pressure to enable both great torque at low rpms., and "open up" (the Valnes) for high rpm performance. The question is what backpressure that is ideal......?!?! I feel with 95% confidence that t
    my 550 is considderably faster with my Capristo rear mufflers than the stock mufflers.... And I do have Hyperflow sports catalyzers too. So in the end, I would say sports rear mufflers adds horsepower. And definately more Ferrari-fun to the car.

6. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    I tried several combinations on my 456GT.

1) Stock exhaust system = too quiet but inoffensive.

2) Tubi with rest stock. = loud but "felt" like better performance

3) Braden "resonator delete" center pipes with Tubi. = raspy sound,
    and WAY too loud for me !

4) Braden centers with stock rear mufflers = the way I kept it.

Little more V-12 sound, but nobody complained. Best sound of all

7. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Is there any difference in an aftermarket straight pipe like a Bradan vs. the OEM version on the late models

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- Not a bit of difference, except cost. A good muffler shop could make you a set out of stainless pipe, too.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks everyone. Interesting. I guess one would need a rolling road to verify.

TZ750, your first two descriptions exactly match my experiences. The sound is just right for me right now. Interesting idea also to get straight through centre pipes and stock muffler/silencer. I'm not planning to change, at the moment.

If Fabio's system gets another 10% power that's more than another 50 horses. Quite significant.

Taz, I will write to Rob..