deformed mirror/window gaskets | FerrariChat

deformed mirror/window gaskets

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #1 AVIMAX, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The rubber piece that surrounds the door mirror on my car is deformed and as a result the rubber window gasket has folded over. (It was like this when I got the car a few years ago) Because of this, I get a drip or two coming in when washing the car, but nothing when driving in the rain. Is this a common problem? If it is common, any idea what causes this? I can't tell what happened first, mirror gasket deformed causing window gasket to fold, or the other way around. The passenger side is not a problem, only the driver's side. Easy enough to change the rubber part around the mirror, but the window gasket looks a little more difficult.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Impounder

Impounder Karting

Aug 6, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Mine does that in the summer time when it is hot, I just have to keep an eye on it.

3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mine does the same if it has a bad day. It is in for new gaskets now in Italy... Hope the problem disappear.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    known problem. it is another fine Ferrari quality problem. All you can do is replace it.

5. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    when I first got my car the gaskets were actually rolled up and twisted around from getting caught in the windows.

I bought new gaskets, and very carefully installed them. How you install them and where the gasket sits when you torque down the screws that hold the mirror on affects how well it holds up. Mine have held up quite well.

As to why it happens, its basically a poor design. Its a relatively tight channel that the window has to glide through and being that the windows often shift due to known issues with the window mounting hardware the window going up sometimes catches the gasket and pulls/tears it.

6. MogulBoy

MogulBoy Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2004
    Devon
  7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well you owned the best ferrari had to offer. It only gets worse so you better start looking at porsches.