New Fob Solution | FerrariChat

New Fob Solution

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, May 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #1 tazandjan, May 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Specialized ECU Repair (ecudoctors.com) have recently reengineered our alarm fobs with new cases, a new electronics board, and lithium ion battery power. They can also pull alarm PINs from the immobilizer or from a red fob, much like ImmoFixer does in Australia. These are the same guys who built the immobilizer bypass system that is still available from them. Here is their ad on E-Bay offering a new set of fobs and a new PIN, for those who already have their old PIN.

Set of 3 Ferrari Keyless Entry Remote Key Fobs 355 360 456 550 575 New, Upgraded | eBay

This is pretty tempting for me to pick up a new set of fobs where you do not have to worry about changing the batteries every 6 months to 1 year, nor worry about the heavy 12V battery spreading the contacts in your pocket and not working when you need it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Terry - my battery is now 4+ years old with now issue but I do plan to change it and keep forgetting.

The cat's meow would be if Jorge could pull the PIN from the black (non-master FOB) but he tells me he cannot (at this time)

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Most likely because the PIN is not in the black fob. There is an identifier in there that both tells the Alarm ECU which fob it is and which rolling code to expect next, and that also identifies it as part of a matched set of three fobs. The PIN is not in there as far as I know.

Jorge is making really good progress on all this stuff. I mentioned to him the 360 guys want to put 360 fob guts into an F-430 like fob including the key. Will see if he is interested. Very tempting to get a new set of fobs.

My battery would never last that long because the fob is in my pocket every day getting jostled around.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Terry - thanks. I just got off the phone with Mark who pretty much said the same. I called Jorge today but he is not in so I will call back Monday.

I have 1 black FOB and what I believe is the proper PIN. I think I got the PIN to work once with the key. I say "think" as I've never been able to a second time so I don't know if it was a fluke. I'd like to see if Jorge can code a FOB for me with a provided PIN number but based on what you and Mark are telling me, I'm guessing not.

If he can, that would be a way to confirm if my PIN number is correct as I'm of the belief now that something my be wrong in the ignition wires to the immobilizer (just guessing)

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That's good news but getting rid of the system and using the fobs as a door lock device is the best plan. My Ford pickup stands a far better chance of being stolen than any Ferrari.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, May 5, 2017
    Brian- Sometimes it is hard for an owner to steal his own Ferrari. Have not had much trouble with the system except the time the battery contacts spread too far to make contact. Now have a fob repair kit and new battery in my pocket. Naturally no problems now that I have the screwdriver and battery on my left pocket keychain.

A new, modernized set of fobs is tempting, though.

Dave- Assume you have tried to start the engine with the key alone? Best way to confirm the PIN.

7. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I also only have one black fob. No 2nd black and no red.... Would love to get a new set. Would Ferrari be able to supply the correct pin given that no one have changed the immobilizer in the car?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am glad you haven't. It is one of the more problematic systems Ferrari has ever employed and is pretty universally hated. All up it has cost Ferrari owners a lot of headaches and money for a device that was unnecessary in the US. For the most part here cars are stolen for joyrides and parts. No one buys hot Ferrari parts so there is no market there and no one knows how to steal one for a joyride but everyone knows they can steal a GM car in seconds. No one steals cars here and sends them by train to Russia.

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You can get a PIN code retrieval from Ferrari for $350-$550ish.....

They will not guarantee it but if you are 100% certain your hardware is original, go for it.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't see the system as a problem. The problem is the owners and or dealers that lose the PIN and FOB's. Not really certain how so many people can be so careless but that's another topic :)

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dave- Affirmative, my 575M was only 4 years old when I bought her, but she only came with one black fob and, luckily, the PIN. Basically, she only had one owner besides dealers, so who lost all those fobs? At that time, I had no clue about how many fobs I should have. Luckily, I sent the young saleslady at Boardwalk flowers when the deal closed, so she thought fondly of me and sent me a new set of fobs with new PIN for free. That is customer service. That is why I wrote that programming document, so I could do it myself with a simple checklist.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Terry - I called the prior owner of my car the first two years asking him "Have the FOB's turned up?" since I'm pretty certain he has them but just does not know we they are. I'm due for another call :)

13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You are a genious!!

14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #14 ferraridriver, May 5, 2017
    I have everything in the third brake light housing.

One OEM remote there hard wired to car's system, the other two are in my desk and they all work.

The $35.00 remote on my key chain operates the factory system, opens the trunk and open/closes the garage door depending on which button I push.

15. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Thanks for that document Terry, a very good reference.

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Brilliant, Dave - just Brilliant :)

17. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    +1 Brilliant is the word for Dave :)

18. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    A new, modernized set of fobs is tempting, though.

Of course I have all 3 two black one red all original , but like you said Terry very tempting :)

When I got my car I even had the original unopened envelope with the code in it,

I couldn't resist so I opened the envelope :)

Terry, if I understand correctly I can give them my code and they can put my original code into their unit ?

cheers

19. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    Ha ha...I opened mine, too. The code didn't work! :)

20. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As for the new battery they are using I suspect it is a CR 2034, that's what is in my Ford Excursion Fob which just died yesterday. It's a 2002 so that's 15 years of use. Pretty good I'd say.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And anyone with half a brain saw that one coming. All for no reason whatsoever except Ferrari wanting to stick it to American owners who had no reason to need the system.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #22 tazandjan, May 5, 2017
    Bill- I do not think they would put the same code in as the set you have. Would be nearly impossible to have the rolling codes lined up. That is one of the things programming the Alarm ECU to accept new fobs does, reinitialize the rolling codes for all three fobs.

Dave- Very ingenious set-up with your key fobs. I cheated and put HomeLink in my overhead lamp console, but cannot open my trunk except with the button in the cockpit. Nice close-up of the visors you fixed, too.

23. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Terry, That Homelink setup you have is first class. In retrospect I should have done that and used the third channel for the gas flap.

What you really need is an electrochromatic rear view mirror like the 599 option. They fit and it's an easy installation, take your guy about an hour start to finish.

24. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    never tried it, but it's the same # that's on the metal tab attached to the red one.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #25 tazandjan, May 6, 2017
    Dave- For whatever reason, I have always hated the night position on rearview mirrors and the electrochromic mirrors. Guess the glare never bothered me and I preferred the real view of the mirror.

Bill- The number on those little metal tags actually goes with the key and is not the PIN code. Early on, you could take that number to your dealer and he could order a new key for your Ferrari. With the keys NLA, no longer possible. Look in your owners manual pouch and you should find the paper with the PIN number.