Thinking of buying 456 in bad condition | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying 456 in bad condition

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rrari456, May 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rrari456

rrari456 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    Hey guys, nice to be on this forum. I signed up because I wanted to ask your opinion on buying a bad condition 456 GT. There is a local auction happening soon with the starting price of 5,000€. The left side window is missing, the car hasn't been started since 2010 and it's milage record looks like this:

26.10.2009 153488 KM
    10.09.2008 4038 KM (!!!)
    12.08.2006 32407 KM
    24.07.2004 27784 KM
    22.05.2003 19099 KM

What are your thoughts? Here is a picture Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its a Ferrari, they said. It'll be a blast to restore, they said!!

Wonderful car that is going to break your heart in the process of getting back to the wonderful. If you can take the wallet hit, and the frustration, what a great project!

And this from a 456 owner. This is worse than a street drug and therefore way better!!

3. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    The most expensive Ferrari is a cheap Ferrari.

4. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Parts value is likely around 12000-15000 eur assuming everything is more or less intact. If you can get it for less, it'd be hard to lose on this.

5. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My favorite variation of this thought: "If you can't afford a good Ferrari, you certainly can't afford a bad one."

6. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Guy Your question raises a lot of questions back. First the basics. What year and is it a manual or auto, desirable color scheme, damages to paint, leather, body (rust/oxidation or accident), etc.
    Then, your goal. Is it to own, drive, flip for cash?
    And what are your skills and lust for adventure, will you do some or most of the work yourself?

The mileage could be accidental turnthrough of the 1. It could also be the cluster was tampered with in the past which lead it to be sensitive to that. What year is it, the mileage does not seem excessive but if the car is a 1994 and the first mileage record in 2003 is 19k, it could easily have been at 119k at a point.
    Financial look at it: take everything that obviously needs fixing, price it, take into account a (large) risk and annoyance factor, and the lack of service records, then subtract all that from the price of a no-story car. That is your max at auction. Stick to it.

7. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad

Which auction house is selling it?

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Parts car.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    that'll go for way north of 5k....

10. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
  11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Any pictures?

12. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    See my post above yours.

13. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Busted window... sitting outside for God knows how long... probable water damage... mold... electrical issues...

I'd run. But I'm no 456 expert.

14. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    Unless you know what you're doing and plan on doing all the work on it yourself, be prepared to spend a lot of money. Even doing it yourself, it's going to cost. If you want it to be reliable and a car you will enjoy, there is no such thing as a bargain basement Ferrari.

15. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I'll second that, the genuine Ferrari only parts, not counting the Bosch bits, are 3 to 4 time what you expect. Just look at the price of door seals, Their 10 times say a Lambo Gallardo.
    Even the tyres are an issue only Pirelli make them, every two years.

Shame as the cars are great things to drive and perform more like a sports car than a GT.

As the old adage goes if can afford a good Ferrari you certainly cannot afford a bad one.

Cheap exotica often ends up bodged and the value plummets to spare parts status.

16. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
  17. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    run away.
    OR, buy it as a parts car.
    OR, if the starting price is close to 0, you might end up with a $40k car, that is worth $40k.....

but it might be worth it depending on our own skills, and patience.

18. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    The hood alone is worth five grand

If you have space, buy it and part it out.

Don't try to resurrect it.

Scott

19. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    If you can buy it for 7000 you will make money on the engine and transmission. or break even. The parts guys will probably pay more for the whole unit.

20. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    From a quick search on Latvian sites, looks like a bit of a dud. It was repainted from a lighter blue, has a light (crema?) interior, manual. Owned by a former millionaire dealer and property investor.

Pics show a decent-looking interior, but partially disassembled (bad regulators would be my guess). Apparently it was in an underground garage until recently.

21. rrari456

rrari456 Rookie

May 31, 2017
    I can't reply to all questions but as it appears you guys already found all the information about the car. The one more thing I can add a "friend of a friend" type of story that the owner did care after the car. And yes it was stored in underground parking so no rain damage.

My ideal scenario would be getting the car for under 20k$ and dropping some 5-10k on restoration. Honestly I wouldn't like another headache in my life, and even selling it for spares (if a lot is wrong with it) would be exactly that for me. So you guys are pretty confident that it WILL cost more and it WILL be a headache?

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Always costs more than anticipated and then there are the issues of parts not being available that stop the job, sometimes for a very long time.

Older cars that were well cared for have hidden issues, it's just the way it is. Cars that no one cared about are a 4 wheeled collection of them.

Several have said in different ways how bad an idea it is to buy a cheap Ferrari. It has been a very hard learned lesson by nearly everyone who has done so but most of us have learned it at someone else's expense. If you turn out to be another I am officially reserving my right to say I told you so.

23. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    When I bought mine a friend reminded me of a saying Id heard years ago.
    Buying a Ferrari is only the initial installment, with yearly large payments to follow.
    Initially he was right.

24. rgottschalklaw

Apr 4, 2015
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Randy
  25. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name: