Generic USB 2-port adapter/charger - 456/550 | FerrariChat

Generic USB 2-port adapter/charger - 456/550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by asgor, Jun 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    #1 asgor, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    I have been thinking about replacing the useless (to me) cigarette lighter in the front ashtray with something I can actually use: a USB adapter/charger. I am aware that Ferrari electrics are best left alone but I suspect the very modest draw of a similar device will not create problems - heck the cigarette lighter heats up to volcanic temperature in about 15 seconds, so I know the capacity is there.

The other day I attempted to fit one of the USB adapter I routinely use in my other cars, but noticed that the plug socket in the console is too wide and every single USB charger I have ends up wobbling hopelessly without making proper contact.

I admit that until now I thought all cigarette lighter sockets are the same size but, this being a Ferrari, obviously it's throwing a curve ball even for the simplest of things.

Have any of you 456/550 owners (maybe even 575) found a generic two-port USB adapter/charger device that fits properly? I found on eBay a "Scuderia Ferrari" *original* USB charger that at least on paper should do the job, but I am thinking it is the typical Chinese knockoff with a bogus label that was never deigned to fit in a Ferrari. Here it is: Ferrari Bundle Car Charger Carbon + 2 in 1 ( 8pin + Micro USB) Charger Black | eBay

Disclaimer: I have searched this forum before posting using a general "USB" keyword but I didn't find any relevant results. I did find some other interesting threads about completely different issues that I ended up spending quite some time reading, but that's another story.

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    CG Mobile makes licensed mobile accessories. This could be a knock off, but that brand is real and makes licensed products.

I use a 2 port low profile one I bought at Walgreens.

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have one that you can have for free. Perfect fit in the cigarette charger hole, but you will need to work a little to fasten it from underneath (the nut, as is, slightly interferes with the ashtray door.)
    PM me if you want it.

4. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Not sure if this will help, I was looking to replace the actual lighter as it was missing and found the lighter was the same as a Mercedies of the same era.

I have been using a generic USB charger but as you found it was "loose" in the housing and pops out.

I was going to use the rear cig lighter (M) but there is no power, the manual does show a fuse for it....

5. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    I replaced the becker stereo in the 550 with an alpine.....it has Bluetooth phone and a usb charging port.

6. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Very generous of you, thank you. I just ordered a "Griffin PowerJolt" - or whatever - that according to reviews seems to be the holy grail of car USB adapters, for a meaty $7.50. Reviews also mention that it fits wider sockets. We'll see.

I'll be back in touch if the mighty Griffin doesn't work as advertised :)

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    PM me if you would like to try both.

8. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
  9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Closing the loop: I received the "Griffin PowerJolt" and it fits snugly in the receptacle. No wobbling, just a tight fit.

In addition this adapter is small enough that the ashtray lid can be closed while leaving it inserted.