Interior Light Operatio | FerrariChat

Interior Light Operatio

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by msark, Jun 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    #1 msark, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Folks....

I've only had my 1999 456M GTA for a couple days and I'm working on getting acquainted with the systems.

The interior lights works but will only switch on using the spot light switch on the light itself or the overhead switch's mounted above the rear view mirror.

PRIMARY ISSUE: The interior lights don't come on if the driver or passenger door are opened.

I took a look for door pin switches that would control the lights but have not been able to locate any on the door or jamb.

Any thoughts on repair would be greatly appreciated.... We drive to the beach some evenings and the interior lights are quite helpful...

Thanks in advance ... Mark

2. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Msark.

Congratulations on your new car. They are great driving touring cars, beautiful, understated, and very capable. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I have a very similar 1999 456M GTA. I also have the interior light issue and have not been able to correct it.

The red caution lights on the outer end of the doors and the step/puddle lights on the bottom of the doors do not work, either. Occasionally, the lights will work correctly, but rarely.

This seems to be a fairly common issue with the 456M/550 models. There are some other threads on FerrariChat regarding this issue. You may want to search for "dome light" or similar searches in the 456M/550 section. I have not seen a definitive answer that actually solved the problem.

When I had my car in for service the dealer told me the problem was in the security system module. I didn't want to deal with the complications of changing the module so I haven't tried changing the module.

Other people have said to change the micro-switch in the door. That is somewhat of a simplistic answer that may be true, but there are several switches in both door locking mechanisms controlling the auto-window controls, interior lights, and door locks. Knowing exactly which switch controls the lights and exactly where it is located may be part of the problem.

My theory is it would be rare for both door switches to go bad at the same time. That would lead me to believe that the problem is more likely an ECM or relay that both door switches are connected to that is not responding properly to the respective light switch signals in either door. In any event getting to the switches to check/test them is a bit of work, but they could be jumpered or by-passed to test the switches.

Hope you get it resolved.

Jerry

3. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    Thanks for your note... Considering I had a paid PPI at a reputable shop I'm surprised it arrived here with the issue..... My in door markers are also inop.

I'll look at the microswitch issue first when I figure how and how hard it is to remove the door panel. I need to refinish the door handles anyway due to stickiness. I'm going to clean and polish them then clear rather than re-coat.

I did have film installed on the rear window yesterday. There's a film I've had installed in the past that is 99% clear .... really invisible when installed but cuts out 90% uv's and more than 80% infrared... which is the heat... Can't tell it's there .. Thanks again for the answer and I'll keep researching ...

4. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    There are also a couple of good threads on removing the door panels in this section.

Another known issue is that the door locks will lock with the remote, then immediately unlock.

The door panel removal process may be in that thread.

I also used the clear "window tint" on the windshield. I think it keeps the leather on the dash much cooler and also reduces the glare. I used a 3-M product, Crystalline. It may or may not be legal on the windshield in some states.

Best regards,
    Jerry