550 Buying Advice | FerrariChat

550 Buying Advice

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550nitis, Aug 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I've started the amazing process of buying a 550. Was first looking at a 360 but had the chance of going for a drive in a 550 with Tubi exhaust and that was it, sold, but not on the car i was test driving as it just had way to many problems. I found a 2000 550 and seemed good and emailed the seller a few questions that I found on this chat and these were his answers. I mean its it possible that a 17 year old car doesn't have any of the problems associated with a typical 550?

What are your thoughts?

1) All Keys, Books, Tools, Full Service records and history?
    Yes, all complete.

2) Your assessment of exterior condition out of 10 with 10 being "new"? What flaws if any? Any chips, dings, scratches?
    9.8 - underside of front spoiler scratched from parking

3) Your assessment of interior condition out of 10 with 10 being "new"? What flaws if any? Any tears, marks, scuffing, carpets good?
    9.9 - the interior is as flawless as can be for a 17 year old scrupulously-maintained car

4) Condition of glass?
    Perfect

5) Condition of seals? Door and windows in particular?
    Perfect

6) Ever smoked in to your knowledge? Wife is ultra sensitive to that.
    NEVER smoked in.

7) Electrics all ok?
    Perfect

8) Driving all good through gears, clutch etc?
    Perfect

Here are some known flaws with the earlier 550s if you could comment please.

9) Engine hoses weak - often upgraded to 575 hoses. Done?
    No upgrade, no need thus far

10) Mounter mounts weak - often upgraded to 575 mounts. Done?
    No upgrade, no need thus far

11) Reverse synchro weak - any sychro issues in to reverse gear?
    No problems with synchros

12) Fuel Tank seals fail - any whiff gas around fuel tank area or outside/inside car?
    No problems

13) Shocks fragile - have these ever been replaced or serviced?
    No replacement as no need

14) OBD2 issues - any CEL (Check Engine Light) lights on or has it been on an OBD reader recently with error codes?
    No problems

15) Low over hang can damage radiator plug - any damage under front area? Plug ok?
    No damage; see #2 above re small scratches

16) Manifold leaks (should cause a CEL) - ok?
    No problems

17 Timing Belt tensioner weak. Ugraded or checked/change at service?
    Changed at 15k service.

18) The proverbial dash shrinkage and stickies. Leather ok? Dash all ok?
    Leather is perfect; all sticky issues resolved recently

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like used car salesman answers, for sure.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #3 fatbillybob, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    I don't see any of those statements unreasonable regarding condition. Mine car is perfect like that because many of us do things like replace the sticky interior and recover the shrinking dash that are known issues. I have owned 2 550s and still own 1. I have been through these cars from front to back never using a pro mechanic since my 1st Ferrari over 30 years ago. That said...some clarifications need to be made as you do research. For example there are no 550 motor mounts. They are all 575 mounts. It is as unlikely you will find a 550 motor mount as you would the original mag wheel with the cracking wheel inserts. The tensioner was never a failure problem but the HE one is better like all his stuff is. Radiator plugs don't get damaged. Any damage to one would destroy the radiator and it would be obvious. Like the 575 mounts you will be hard pressed to find a 550 some near 20 years old with the original gaskets that caused the manifold to leak. Those gaskets just don't exist. Shocks were never an issue and unlike the 575 shocks are rebuildable by any bilstein rebuilder to any valving you want if you change spring rates. There is no transmission weakness. Reverse is fine in the fleet. A maintained car has no issues with hoses. The valley hoses get hot in the valley and need to be mainatined. Often they are not and you get failures. That's not a car problem that's a who's your mechanic problem. There are better SRI hoses if you want to skip maintenance but if you just do your 30k service every 5 years there is no issue. Fuel tank vapor leaks are known but obvious and randomly effect the fleet. You may never have an issue with a 1997 but might with a 2001 or vice versa. It is totally random. I have had 2 550's and neither had the problem.

4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Milage is in my opinion not very important. The storage is very importat (as these cars usually aren't driven much after all). And service is important. How you use it is also important of course. I have seen cars look like "new" with 200.000kms. And "neglected" (can have been neglected for only a few months of its life many years back) with low milage. A car that is frequently used, washed, polished, serviced over and over again is your best car!

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    See if you can get the Service Documents for the past 3 years.
    Most private sellers will have these, not sure about a dealer car for sale.

There should be at least an oil change every 12 months on these cars.
    Most shops put the current odometer reading on their service document.
    You can see how much the car has been driven over the past 3 years by reading these docs.

Also, look for fixing things along the way.
    A well-maintained car will have a few either small or big repair items thrown in when they take the car in for an oil change.
    Your chances of the car being easy to live with go up if an enthusiast owned it before you and didn't defer maintenance on everything.

If no Service Docs, then see if the CarFax says anything about services recently.

6. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    In my view get one that has been used. When you use them like mine at 76k kms you eventually sort out all the problems. Main problems. Fuel pumps are submerged and eventually the rubber in them fails AC units eventually fail Steering racks wear out. And suspension actuators break. That's it. They are strong cars buy one. I've had mine 10 years and will never sell. Simply pass on to my son along with a 1965 330 GT that i also have had for 8 years

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Actually (lack of) recent mileage would be more worrying to me...if it's done very few miles in last 2 years I'd be more tentative.

8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    So true. Mine has 48K miles on it and runs beautifully. It's really laughable how mileage becomes such a big issue with Ferrari. A car that's 16 years old at 3K miles per year is considered high mileage in Ferrari world. Aren't these cars supposed to be driven? 🙄

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1 it's ridiculous. There's a high mileage 550 for sale in EU at the moment, 170 kms (~110k miles), grigio titanio with bordeaux. I may put a cheeky offer in by the end of the year if it's still there, would make a great daily especially if it's been maintained as well as they claim...

Like the 260K+ miles Murcielago, I think once it reaches such high mileage you kind of take it anywhere, really. Blast across Europe, putting 5000km on in 2 week? Go ahead.