Non-Ferrari car cover recommendation | FerrariChat

Non-Ferrari car cover recommendation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GFL, Jul 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GFL

GFL Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    New York City
    Apologies in advance if this is as repost (I just couldn't find it in search)

Does anyone have recommendations for a good indoor car cover for the 458 that protects against dust and won't scratch the paint? I am keeping my car in a public garage in NYC and I don't want to use the standard red cover as it attracts too much attention (still).

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Go to Auto Zone. They have plenty of car covers to chose from. They can also order a very nice cover.

You also may want to buy a car brush. It removes dust and is very gentle. I own alot of cars and I found covering them was troublesome. The brush was much easier.

Good luck :)

Lee

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I have had a very good experience with Car Covers Direct and this particular fabric. http://www.carcoversdirect.com/parts/covers/cars/224165/materials/307 They have made four for me; a 911GT3 (with the big wing); a Cayman S; a 458 Italia; and an F430 coupe. Each has fit perfectly and provided the protection I wanted. The fabric itself is actually a light outdoor fabric but I use it for indoors because it gives better protection than the usual indoor fabric. In 5 years I have never had a problem with their products. Nice folks too.

4. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What about the cover that comes with the car - is there a problem? Best

5. eclipsisNA

eclipsisNA Southern California
    BANNED

Feb 9, 2009
    LA & OC, CA
    #5 eclipsisNA, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    Never use a car cover, even if you just had the car detailed. It doesn't matter if the cover is made from the softest material on Earth: even the tiniest dirt particle can be dragged over the clear coat by the cover. A car isn't a small object that you can always be 100% sure there isn't 1 incredibly small piece of dirt or dust that will cause even slight damage. A car cover is tight enough to be form fitting, which means it clings tightly to the paint and will drag whatever is on the paint with the fabric.

Give your car a good detail, wax it properly for protection, and let it sit in the garage.

No duster, not even the California Duster or Zymol duster, are gentle enough to not cause scratching or swirling. Nothing can substitute a proper wash and wax to protect paint without damaging it.

6. ktm

ktm Formula Junior

May 24, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    I think the OP is trying to protect his car in a public garage but does not want the undue attention of the Ferrari cover.

7. eclipsisNA

BANNED

Feb 9, 2009
    LA & OC, CA
    The only thing the cover will do is hide the fact that it's a Ferrari; it won't physically protect the paint. If anything, it'll damage it. If the OP doesn't mind having people know it's a 458, then he should just leave it bare.

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #8 leead1, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    No disrespect meant and the post it is a smart one.

Any car after about 1999 for Porsche give and take the years for other cars should not be waxed. The waxes yellow or fade and once you start you are faced with doing it again and again. The newer paint systems stay bright for the life of the car.

If he meant using the liquid wax then I agree it really adds a shine requires no buffing so you avoid scratches.

The gentlmans coments on the car cover can be valid in my view. I never saw it on my cars but it is plausible. But I stopped covering my cars just because I am lazy.

The comment on the soft brushes again is plausible. I do use one on all my cars exotic or classic and have never seen the problem. I brush each car gently each time I take it out of storage. I think gently is the key word.

What I have seen that cause the circle scratchs is people washing a car with a dirty or gritty rag.

great thread :)

Lee

9. GFL

GFL Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    New York City
    That's exactly right, it's not so much about protecting it from dust, it's more just trying to be discreet. The car is going to be kept in a public garage in New York City 24x7, the staff there obviously knows it's a Ferrari but I don't want people who walk past the garage see it and then want to come in and check it out etc. That's also why I do not want to use the red Ferrari standard cover, I just want an ordinary one that doesn't attract as much attention.

10. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Perfect for this purpose. Exercise a few common sense precautions and it will be fine.
    1. Keep inside surface away from contact with dirt/dust.
    2. Apply cover only to a clean car
    3. Machine wash occasionally (Simple Green)

11. eclipsisNA

BANNED

Feb 9, 2009
    LA & OC, CA
    Thanks for the reply Lee. You're mistaken about waxes though: any car from any time period should 100% be waxed. I'm not sure where you heard you shouldn't wax any car after 1999. Wax is a sacrificial layer of protection between the elements and your clear coat.

Going back to the cover, being the OP is looking for something discreet, a cover is his only option. He has to weigh what's more important: discretion, or damaging his paint.

Even if I just completed a freshly detailed car, I still would never put a car cover on any car. We don't live in vacuums or clean rooms where dust particles don't exist. In the real world, your car will always have some form of contamination on it, especially in NYC. Trust me on this one.

12. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No expert opinions on detailing from me but OP might want to try California Car Covers. I'm very happy with their machine-washable (and driable) Weathershield indoor/outdoor cover. I've bought from CCC for Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Mazda and Fiat. (I must ask for a discount next time :)).