Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 458 Italia/488

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

That's what I figured. I'm been searching and can't find a Suntec installer in my area. Everyone uses XPEL and one guy uses a new film called STEK Dino shield which no one else seams to have heard of. This particular installer tends to do most of the high end cars locally and is 30% more expensive than everyone else. They say STEK is better than all of them but the lack of any outside information makes me wonder if they have some exclusive and are just getting higher profit margins?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Xpel vs. 3M Pro

I have had Xpel on my 2010 458 Italia for 6 years now since it was new. I did some research on the latest films about 6 months ago with the intention to replace the old film in the near future. Most films last about 5-7 years although mine is still holding up quite well. The latest 3M Pro film is very impressive and I have seen it at the installer's shop during a demo. The self-healing property seems to be better than that of Xpel Utimate. Both clarity and reflectivity are slightly better as well. That's likely what I will go with in the coming months.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:07 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK308 View Post
Reading this thread over again it looks to me like SunTek is getting the best response. And from personal experience it's the better of the two.

As for 3M? Thick ugly and yellowing film. No thanks.
Suntek importer is in another state. Also they don't have any recommended installers ( trained ) in my state
Old 04-21-2017, 01:18 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Any comments on Opti coat PPF
Old 04-21-2017, 06:45 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Finally found a Suntek shop with the help of suntek corporate. I just bought a new tesla that I'm picking up today and I'm going to give it a try and have him do suntek full wrap (as I'm getting a black and I want to protect from swirls). I can then compare with the xpel head to head so when my B Fuji 488 spider comes in in June I can decide
Old 04-21-2017, 11:11 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Berg
It 3m films on my 458 and Maserati on front and fenders, price was $1.800 each on Foreign Cars Italia in North Carolina. It was well worth it!! Protection is key, when dealing with the paint work on these cars...
Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: spider
Chose any of them. They all look like plastic wrap, especially over metallic paint in sunlight.

Last edited by spiders; 04-22-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:16 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCorsa View Post
Finally found a Suntek shop with the help of suntek corporate. I just bought a new tesla that I'm picking up today and I'm going to give it a try and have him do suntek full wrap (as I'm getting a black and I want to protect from swirls). I can then compare with the xpel head to head so when my B Fuji 488 spider comes in in June I can decide
You will be happy with Suntek....I tried the others in the past and currently have Suntek on my 488....undetectable if applied correctly.
Make sure they use the second generation version of Suntek ( I forget what it's called ) which is an improvement over the first gen and has a longer warranty.
In addition, I had C-Quartz Finest applied by one of only a handful of C-Quartz Certified Installers.

Last edited by rocketman; 04-22-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

I just had mine done in Xpel, the new self healing one, then they applied two coats of CQUARTZ . The car looks incredible, it seems to have brought out the richness of the paint. The color looks deeper. I am very happy with the results, the installer is one of the best which makes a difference.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngcanada View Post
I just had mine done in Xpel, the new self healing one, then they applied two coats of CQUARTZ . The car looks incredible, it seems to have brought out the richness of the paint. The color looks deeper. I am very happy with the results, the installer is one of the best which makes a difference.
I am having the same done to my new 488 Spider. After doing a lot of research on the films it seems the quality of the installer is much more important than the film itself.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiders View Post
Chose any of them. They all look like plastic wrap, especially over metallic paint in sunlight.
Lol. Not IMO but much better than a bunch of rock chips but of course I drive he hell out of my cars. No garage queens here.