Spring Cleaning | FerrariChat

Spring Cleaning

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SpykerBAS, Apr 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    #1 SpykerBAS, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. atl_boy

atl_boy Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2014
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Nice stable man. What car is the blue one? Jaguar?

3. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Spyker C8. Rare car! Have only seen a handful of them. How is it in comparison with 458?

4. Terrible expert

Terrible expert Karting

Sep 10, 2012
    Harrogate, North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Kev W
    Cars - gorgeous, extra point for the Spyker!
    House - stunning
    Grounds - beautiful

Fantastic, enjoy!

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice collection! I'd also like to hear about how the cars compare to each other and also- what is your daily car?

6. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Very kind, Gents.

The blue car is a 2006 Spyker C8 Spyder, one of 252 made. Mine is #115, and there are about 55 in the US. I bought it new in 2008 and have put 10k miles on it.

My Cali is a 2011, and is for sale. I used it as a DD for three years and racked up 31k miles. I really enjoyed it (was my first F-car) and chose the Cali because I had little kids at the time, and it fit all of us. My biggest dislike was that I could not uncouple the sport suspension from the increased throttle response of that setting, the way I can with the 458 Spider, but roads in PA are not the best. I added Fabspeed sport cats and exhaust and Modulare 21" wheels, and it has served me well.

I added the Bentley and 458 this past December. The Bentley is a GTC Speed, bought to allow bigger back seats for my now bigger kids. It replaces the California and is my winter DD. My wife DD's a 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. In warmer months, I alternate between the Spyker and 458.

The Bentley is classy, stylish and very smooth. Neck warmers and seat massagers are fun and pleasant. It handles well for what it is, but does not have the agility of a sports car. I like the exhaust note. The build quality is superb. I love the torque. The cabinet is rather windy with the top down, but my other convertibles are much smaller cars. The car is very wide, and does not drive much smaller than it is. The gray exterior allows it to blend a little, and it does not get the attention of a Ferrari.

The 458 is a 2012, optioned beyond any 458 I have seen, with full alcantara and CF. I loved the color combination and am very glad I bought it. It's the most competent sports car I've had (and I had a '12 911 Turbo S Cab), with thrills beyond what a 911 can offer (at least, a non-GT3 variant, which I won't buy until they make a drop top). I added carbon fiber rear lens covers, external sills and a lip spoiler and am very pleased with the look. My Cali has many yellow accents (badges, calipers, tach, wheel caps), and the 458 has none except the nose badge. The 458 also now sports Fabspeed sport cats, headers and exhaust, with a Capristo valve switch. I am pleased with the mods. It pops on shifts now, much like the 2010-2011 458s before the software upgrade, and burbles on liftoff and downshifts. I find the 458 a huge rush, and with the bumpy road setting on, is much more compliant than my Cali in Sport. I've posted before that I drive it in Race mode at all times (and the Cali in CRT off), and people seem to think I am crazy. I guess I am just a bit hard core. The 458 was at 4/5th of tire wear when it was delivered in December, and I will replace the rubber this summer. As is, it doesn't hook up well in first gear, but I expect new tires will cure that. It is a blast, overall.

All that said, the Spyker is incomparable. It's all aluminum and about 2700 lbs dry. Makes about 425bhp on the dyno, which is more than the factory says. Without assists, it is the most raw and pure driving experience I have ever had. The handcrafting is something you just don't encounter anymore. It is thrilling where the 458 is exciting. It's a total rush every time I drive it. It is also very extroverted. You get noticed. Ultimately, the 458 is more competent and solid, but also bigger and more challenging to place. The connectedness of the Spyker is otherworldly, and I'm a big fan of shifting for myself. The roar is like a '65 Cobra, but with some creature comforts. It's a very compromised design, too hot about 80 degrees, very weak A/C, no radio. I removed the soft top because it was useless. I love the balance, and have tracked it. It's not going to pass the Broomstick test on any track that requires it, though. For all out fun in the sun, it's always my choice. I've read many tests of the C8 that really don't match my experience. They say super car looks with sports car performance. I don't agree. Up through 4th gear, it's a match for the 458, and then it does fall off. I don't live in a world where I use much performance above that, so figures on paper are not the same as lived experience. Overall, I'd call it raucous, barely-restrained and not fully tamed. Perfect.

7. fuddman

fuddman Karting

Jan 11, 2015
    So, lets see what the garage looks like now that you cleaned it.

8. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    #8 SpykerBAS, May 1, 2015
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fantastic write up! Thank you. Really enjoyed reading that.

10. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    I enjoyed writing it, although I should have been out driving!

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Beautiful collection of rigs. Thx for sharing bro.

12. fuddman

fuddman Karting

Jan 11, 2015
    Thanks. Obviously, some serious car enthusiasm going on there.
    Are you concerned about not using any one of them enough? Or do you have a schedule for each?

13. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Awesome write up and great stable of cars. I am thinking of buying my wife a Bentley convertible in the same color so your feedback helped. We have two little kids so we need a back seat :)

14. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    I do a lot of driving, Fuddman, so the cars do get use, except in winter. Once the Cali is sold, I'll have fewer to put more miles on, at least until I add the next. Typically, I take one to Cars and Coffee on Saturday mornings, then switch and drive another for the duration of the day on Saturday. It's not hard to rotate them, though there are some logistics with multiple garages and lifts. First world problems.

15. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Nice stable, Chris. The Bentley is great for kids, if you like top-down driving at all times the way I do. The only other cars that would fit them are the Maserati and Audi, both of which did not push the same buttons for me. They used to fit fine in a 911, and then the Cali, but are too big now. Does that mean a full-size Bentley Grand Convertible may be my next option once they outgrow the CGT, or will the kids be out of the house by then? It will be interesting to see the timing of Bentley's pace of production vs. the pace of my kids' growth.

16. jaywell

jaywell Rookie

Jan 8, 2015
    SG
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Amazing garage. Thanks for sharing!

17. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    I like the Bentley ... Thinking of getting one too.

Nice cars and thanks for sharing. :)

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #18 Melvok, May 3, 2015
    I don't get the 4 photo's ... am I the only one ?

Can you please re-send ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Zakalwe

Zakalwe Rookie

Apr 27, 2015
    UK
    Beautiful cars to match a beautiful home!

One thing I've noticed are the orange reflectors at the front sides of all the cars. Is that a North American requirement?

20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Great stable brodisan. Like the argento spider mine is titanio. Looks like you're a clean freak like me. Low maintenance colors ftw. I went from a cali to a 458 spider too.

Question how difficult is it to maintain the light colored interiors with top down motoring? Cuoio got dirty easily so I went Nero in 458 but it gets hot in the sun.

21. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Some of the top surfaces in the Cali are Crema, and with the top down all the time, they have picked up some permanent grime, and the driver seat has the inevitable discoloration caused by blue jeans. Minor, but a darker color would have been less susceptible (still, I love the drama and tradition of crema). That said, when I get small nicks in the leather in the Spyker (which is like Cuoio inside), the nicks stand out because the surface under the leather is lighter in color. The 458 has full Alcantara, which I'll stick with from now on (as well as the racing seats). Seems to wear very well, though I'll forever wonder at the wisdom of Alcantara floor mats, on many levels. The Bentley is a smarter design, so even though it has very light (crema-like) seat inserts, the top facing leather is the darker gray shade, and thus should be less susceptible to discoloration than the Cali. The new Cali T's interior scheme fixes this issue, and is similar to the Bentley. Yes, I think the orange side markers on the 458 are US spec.