458 versus Mclaren 650s? | FerrariChat

458 versus Mclaren 650s?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ss7026, May 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ss7026

ss7026 Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    I am looking into purchasing either a 2012-2014 458 or a Mclaren 650s. The Mclaren is enticing, but I have read on the Mclaren forums complaints over the Iris system (navigation, bluetooth, etc.) not working well. It's a serious concern to spend a quarter million and get something lightning fast and sexy, but doesn't do what an ipad can do.

Have you 458 owners experienced any glitches or frustrations like this that you can advise a first time super car buyer to be aware of?

2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    2 diffrent cars i have driven both my choice 458 the 650s is super super fast but at end of the day 458 is my choice,drive both and make ur decsion eitheir way both are awsome cars.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    To your question.....not a single issue, 4.5k miles. Nav works well surprisingly, zero glitches. Having sat on sidelines for 7 years thru the 360, F430....the 458 has far far fewer issues. And for me, none.
    Please go drive both. Pure speed is the 650 and it will shoot past a 458. But that's not everyone's only measure of course or you could get a souped up Camaro.

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    If you are concerned about satnav, and that's the reason why you consider not buying the 650S, well, I'm not sure the 458 is for you. Just do a search here, the 458 satnav is not,, uh, great... It's awkward, slow and annoying to use, it lacks what I will call an intuitive user interface. I doubt that McLaren does a worse system in the 650S. I don't think the system in the 12c was worse.
    Drive both, get the dealer to show you the system, and pick the one you like. It's that simple. Is the 650S faster? Yes. Is it more fun to drive. To some yes, to some no.

5. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    I own both. They are great cars. The 650S is a monster. Fastest stock car I have driven.

catdog likes this.
  6. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I also own a Mclaren, no issues with the Navigation/entertainment, bluetooth, etc systems for me. The latest software made a big improvement.

No experience with the 458 satnav, but if Becker was the designer, you will need to go back to school and get another degree, without a doubt the worst user interface and lack of intuitive controls/software ever. Biggest waste of money I ever spent for my 360 and 430.

MB

7. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I have satnav in my 458, huge improvement over F430. I enter addresses with voice control, it works pretty well. Map display also shows traffic.

8. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    Who cares about the Sat Nav anymore? I use an iPhone and Waze...

9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't like looking at my iPhone while I drive so I can understand the question about built in nav.

McLaren: faster car, better ride comfort balance. but you have to drive it faster to get that edgy feeling out of it and it has unique electronics which have required sorting out after the fact. IMHO you get the McLaren (any of them) because you want to go really fast and you like the easier ride for the times you are not going really fast.

Ferrari: more of an event. More fun at lower speeds. ride handling is more what you expect in a sports car (McLaren comfort can sometimes approach a nice sedan!). Some of the electronics systems are shared with other cars so they are better sorted out. Also this will sound like double talk until you own one, but only a Ferrari is a Ferrari.

I've driven them all and for my money the 458 is the better choice- which is why I bought one.

10. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Perhaps if sat-nav is the deal breaker you're looking at the wrong kind of cars...

11. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think he's just trying to refine his understanding and search. The big part is he wants a sports car. This is how I used to think before I owned any of these cars. Nothing wrong with asking. Isn't that what forums like this are for?

12. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    If you want to go fast get the 650s, if you want to look good and make lots of noise get the 458.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you want to go fast in a lifeless machine, get the 650s.

I have hope for Mac's new car because it doesn't have active suspension.

14. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    #14 F430kenric, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    100 percent disagree with you! Lots of life and fun with my two Macs. And I have a 458 that I drive them both back to back. Mac has the lovely turbo sounds and blow off valves and will blow the doors off my 458 with the top down. 458 is a wonderful car, but to say the 650s is lifeless is not a fair statement. Do you own or have you ever owned a McLaren?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very nice picture!

16. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks!

17. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    McLaren gets too much hate with not enough experience. It's an absolutely phenomenal car.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've driven the 12c. I don't care for the suspension. It's like you're too isolated from the road. I don't like that the transmission "creeps" like an autobox either.

Everyone has their own take on what they like. Some like this, some like that. No biggie

It's a really fine car but the idea that the 458 is some kind of poser mobile was over the top.

I do like the new Mac very much though. It's the only one I would consider buying.

19. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    I just bought a 650S Spider to partner my 458 Speciale Aperta. In my opinion

- The 458 has much better sound. 650S is disappointing
    - The 650S is a much better convertible. There is simply no comparison in terms of structural rigidity (the Aperta is significanty floppier than my old Speciale coupe)
    - The 650S is much faster. Simply unbelievable
    - They are very different in terms of handling, but I like them equally
    - I prefer the 650S dashboard but that is subjective. I have a fetish for cool fonts and graphics
    - IRIS is no longer a problem following the upgrade, however the 458 satnav is better in my view
    - 650S (with Meridian upgrade) has a much better hifi than 458 SA
    - 650S ride is miles better than 458SA. In town the car rides like a Bentley, it is unbelievable
    - 458SA is more beautiful. Sexy as opposed to "functional" 650S
    - 458SA will hold its value, while 650S will depreciate like yesterday's newspaper
    - I have a marginal preference for the 650S build quality
    - if you want attention, buy the 458

Anyone who thinks 650S is soul-less needs to spend some serious time with it. I consider myself very fortunate to own both

20. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    I have never said the 458 is poser mobile. It's a wonderful car, the sound and the feel is amazing. I LOVE Ferrari, and my 458, and I loved my F430 spider as well. Let's agree to disagree. Have a great evening.

21. pkracing

pkracing Rookie

Aug 13, 2010
    I have owned:
    2011 458
    2013 12C
    2015 Speciale

The Mclaren is quite a bit faster - road and track. But, allow me to add some context. The Mclaren is very fast with all the aids turned off. With them on, it's no faster and they interfere horribly. The 458/S in Race mode (still has aids) is actually still quite good to drive. So, depending on your experience and track interest, you'd probably opt for the Ferrari if you aren't an experienced racer.

Other road observations:
    Turbo lag is present on the Mclaren anywhere under 5k RPM, throttle response on the F-car is awesome.
    Shifting is simply better on the F-car
    Steering wheel on the Mclaren is second to none. Small, thick, narrow - awesome.
    Brakes on the Mclaren aren't great - at all. The carbons are grabby and have poor feel and the iron brakes just aren't powerful.
    Turn-in response about the same on both.
    The Mclaren does;t have a locking differential and you notice it. It doesn't hook-up and go like the F-car does.
    Visibility in the Mclaren is better

22. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Amazing how a simple question about satnav has devolved this thread into a good ole fashion peck.. waging contest of who's car is better.

Let's all agree we drive great cars and each day is a special day in that we are able to afford such vehicles and appreciate each for their own merits. We live in a wonderful time, maybe the new golden age of automotive engineering and excellence.

MB

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The track tests beg to differ.

24. pkracing

pkracing Rookie

Aug 13, 2010
    #24 pkracing, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    The track tests are a bit of joke. Really.

a) they are done on stock tires. the mclaren comes with P-Zeros. the 458 comes with SuperSports. There's nearly 2 seconds right there.
    b) the track tests are almost never done analytically. Meaning that there's always a fly in the ointment. there's either a hack driver (which almost all journalists are) or they do the test on different days or they do the test with aids on or etc.

at the risk of coming off arrogant, I am capable of driving these cars within a second of their achievable lap. and, i can tell you with high confidence that the mc is ~2 secs a lap faster on a 1:40-1:50 track than the 458. now, that said, that is with both cars running trofeo r tires and aids 100% off.

(I don't yet know the delta for the Speciale - haven't done a proper tesst day with it)

25. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    I own both and couldn't disagree with you more. Mclaren is fun to drive , has lots of soul, better tortional rigidity and sounds great. If you feel the Mclaren is "lifeless" I doubt you've spent much time in one. Both amazing machines , both have pros and cons ...