458 Italia - Differences in Model Years | FerrariChat

458 Italia - Differences in Model Years

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, May 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hello Everyone,

I'm contemplating a pre-owned 458 Italia and wondering if there are any substantial changes between model years, or even intra-model year (focused primarily between 2010 and 2013) that I should be aware of, as opposed to small tweaks that may have occurred during production runs.

I see where software changes have occurred (per thread below), but I imagine this is ongoing and a work in progress.

Consequently, are major differences in the 458 to be viewed more option-driven as opposed to minor differences in model year?

Forgive me if this is a naive question, as I am a novice to the Ferrari brand. I appreciate the benefit of response from such knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Bill H.

2. acpi

acpi Rookie

Apr 16, 2015
    London
    If I'm not wrong, the 2010-2011 458's have a more aggressive gearbox and the exhaust note is slightly different (there are more audible pops and burbles). For those reasons, I chose to buy a 2011 Italia. But there is a HUGE benefit of buying a 2012-2015, and that is you get the 7 year warranty.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    How will you feel if you try to claim and the dealer reminds you its actually only seven year's free routine servicing ?

Ck10022 likes this.
  4. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Minor correction, it's not a 7 year warranty but is 7 years of covered annual service.

5. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    If you look for the sound then the above statement is true. The 2010 models have the good software. You will most likely not find a car that has this though since dealers automatically update now. I agree on the 7 year maintenence plan. Its transferable to the new owner. there are plenty of threads if you are looking for the must have options. Good luck! The 458 is an amazing car

6. Terrible expert

Terrible expert Karting

Sep 10, 2012
    Harrogate, North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Kev W
    made me chuckle this reply!

7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Got a 2012 SPIDER. First year for the spider and first year for 7 year free maintenance.

Glad i did not wait. Over 20k sMiles. :)

8. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    There has been an upgrade on the 458 2012 coupe which has been mentioned on various posts. The 2012 Italia is therefore 1 sec faster on the Fiorano test track as reported by Forza on their February issue. Of course this is expected and believable.

Here are software and hardware (accelerometers) changes as per the Bulletin from Ferrari SpA:

"New control software for the magnetorheological dampers was developed
    to improve body control and boost tire performance for an even sportier feel.
    The new control software is active in all of the manettino settings with specific
    calibrations.

The F1 dual-clutch transmission control software has been evolved and now
    delivers more emphatic gear-shifts when the manettino is in the RACE, CT
    OFF and ESC OFF settings. The new software features a strategy that utilizes
    the energy built up during gearshifts by the twin clutches to provide positive
    acceleration when the next gear engages. The extra acceleration is felt only on
    up-shifts and is not available in the AUTO mode.

The F1-Trac has also been recalibrated to guarantee that the 458 Italia is
    faster coming out of corners when the manettino is in RACE. In the power-on
    phase coming out of bends, the new calibration ensures more accurate control
    of the torque being delivered to the rear wheels. The aim in this instance is to
    achieve and maintain the maximum performance possible from the tires in the
    available grip conditions. Smoother, more fluid torque delivery on the very limit
    of road-holding guarantees that the car is faster coming out of bends.

9. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    If I recall correctly there was a major upgrade with modelyear 2012. (mid 2011). The instruments changed (i.e. the speedo can be displayed on the left screen). The gearbox-software as well as the suspension was changed (esp. the damper-control was improved), what made the car even quicker. Plus - as already mentioned - the exhaust-pops vanished.

Damn, somebody was quicker ;-)

10. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    Yeah, I'm a new owner of a 2014, and I have noticed that on "Race" setting, under hard acceleration, I can feel a thump in my seat from each gear change up. And, with the downshifts, minimal popping from the exhaust.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    2012's and newer have the gearboxes with more "emotion" -- except for the Spider.

10's and some 11's had the most gearbox problems. So did 09-10 California's which used the same box.

12. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    ^^ this is what changed in 2012, plus the addition of the 7 year MAINTENANCE (not warranty) coverage

to potentially offend my friend 458Trofeo, additional changes (updates) were made to the engine mapping. This, in effect, is what reduced the "crackle, pop, burble" effect on over-run.

When the car is in race mode and being driven "hard" (i.e. hard acceleration, hard braking), a number of things happen. When you lift off the throttle, the car actually starts braking via the Pre-fill logic. It's anticipating you braking. Also, if you go to the brake hard enough and downshift, it amplifies the blip to match revs. It's amazing. Those blips are positive revs. If you brake gently, you'll notice the blips are much lazier.

A lot (most) of the "pop and crackle" is from when people are hard on the throttle, and lift off (i.e. gas it off a stoplight, get going, and coast...it's classic over-run; excess and unburned fuel passes into the exhaust and ignites there (vs. inside the cylinder). Audi in the R8/10 and BMW in the M cars does this a bit on purpose to add to the "emotion" (plus BMW has speakers to amplify it). If you ever drove an older Porsche, especially a Turbo, it was even pronounced.

In reality, you can like the sound and if so, that's great, but it's actually not the best for the exhaust and doesn't do much other than make cool sounds. The way the car is tuned post-2012 actually makes it perform better (plus it reduces emissions by eliminating the over-run). If everyone recalls, one grip about 2010-11 458's was the DCT was too smooth, so they "Scud-ified" the gearbox logic in Race mode and above to increase the "kick" on upshifts.

( I interrogated a factory engineer at a Mugello race in 2013 since I was asking the same questions). Say what you will about Ferrari, they are VERY good at developing control software for their cars - chassis, engine, gearbox.

13. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So the question needs to be asked if the '10s and '11s CAN be upgraded to the 2012+ software versions? My dealer said there are no updates available for my 2011, and it definitly has the old engine mapping based on the sound.

14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Yes, it was was offered as an upgrade kit. Can't recall price but it was $5K+. Some of the mods and updates were hardware related IIRC for the suspension. Your parts guy probably needs to look deeper, though I'd imagine there were few takers.

SAFE4NOW (Steve is the Service Mgr at Boardwalk) can probably give you the full scoop.

On the engine mapping, I believe that was a campaign applied to all 458's - unless, like 458Trofeo, you forbid your dealer from doing it. I also do not believe they will reverse the update (i.e. they don't have an easy "uninstall" program).

15. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Wow, you're the American DK308!

I don't even read car magazines anymore.

The real life experience from drivers posted here is insightful. Thanks.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  16. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    #16 koop, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    so is there no way to get both the popping sounds AND the more aggressive shifts?

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    There's a whole thread on this one...not today.

18. hg

hg Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    The cost was 5-10K with parts depending on dealers...some body parts had to be removed to install the accelerometers.

19. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
  20. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Well, hot damn. The wife and I were driving on 24 West out of Morristown, NJ on Friday and saw not one, but two red 458 Spiders, tops down, on a beautiful afternoon.

One was in the showroom of High Marques Automotive, the second passed us going eastbound a few minutes later. No idea what model years they were, but my first glimpse of the 458 in the flesh, so to speak.

Bill H.

21. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    So the posts above highlight the changes post 2011, which is very informative

My question is, how do all these upgrades translate to someone not tracking the car, but using it more for daily tasks sometimes plus runs on lovely twisty roads every now and again

In that sense is a post 2011 worth the extra ?

Thanks

22. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    bump..I have the same question as well. Thanks

23. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Bump is a post 2011 worth the extra cash?

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    For mindset: yes. For free maintenance: yes. For better value in resale: yes :D

For technique: don't know, maybe. Bye the best you can .... or don't buy one at all ...

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my understanding is all the changes were software and not hardware - so a 2010 with all the updates is the same as a 2012+