458 Wheels vs Speciale & Aperta | FerrariChat

458 Wheels vs Speciale & Aperta

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by NeilF8888, Jul 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Are the gold wheels on the Speciale and Aperta the same wheel or slightly different? Were/are gold wheels available for the 458 Spider and Coupe or just the Speciale and Aperta?

2. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    #2 Rcktrod, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    Standard wheel is different on Speciale and the Speciale Aperta (SA) however you can order either for the SA and either would also fit the Speciale. Ask your dealer/service department about painting wheels that color color which they can do.

3. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Ask your dealer/service department about painting wheels that color color which they can do.[/QUOTE]

I am waiting for my white 458 Aperta which was still red 10 last week. I ordered the gold wheels thinking that they were only offered with special editions like the Aperta and Speciale but was not sure. Were gold wheels offered on the Spider and Coupe 458?

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    #4 134282, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The five-spoke wheels on the 458 Italia and 458 Spider are different than the five-spoke wheels on the 458 Speciale and 458 SpecialeA. I spoke with a dealer and, unfortunately, they're simply referred to as "forged" wheels - I miss the days where wheels could be distinguished as either standard or modular or Challenge, etc. Now, as per the dealer with whom I spoke, the various wheel styles are all referred to as forged. So when I document a Ferrari in my database, I've come up with a unique description for each wheel type so as to differentiate the assorted range.

First, let's cover the 458 Italia and Spider...

Below are seven images of 458 Italia and Spider wheels. The wheels in the first five pictures are all the same - just in various shades. A dealer told me that this wheel style is referred to simply as forged. The first image shows it in silver, the second is in silver with light gray shading to the spoke indents, the third is gray, the fourth is a satin matte black, and the fifth is a gloss black.

The sixth image is a different wheel style, and a dealer told me this wheel style is called the shadow wheel style. It is/was available in all of the shades shown with the forged wheels in the first five pictures.

The seventh image shows the multispoke wheel style - the least common of the 458 wheel styles (and I'm not sure why because it looks good). And while I've seen several instances of the multispoke wheel in black and varying shades of gray, I can't recall ever seeing one in silver.

After the seventh picture (the gray multispoke wheel), there's a picture of a yellow tachometer - that's just to separate the 458 Italia and Spider wheels from the Speciale wheels. After the yellow tachometer picture, there are four pictures of the forged wheel styles that are available with the 458 Speciale and the 458 SpecialeA.

The first three pictures of the Speciale wheels are all the same style, just different colors. While I understand it's possible to get these wheels in a gloss finish, the satin matte finish seems to be the popular and/or standard/default. The fourth and last picture shows a slightly different wheel style that's been offered with the Speciale and SpecialeA; note how the spokes have a sort of curve between them, whereas the spokes on the three preceding wheels more closely resemble the prongs of a tuning fork.

As an aside, notice how all of the Speciale wheels are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s, whereas the wheels on the 458 Italias and Spiders are all wrapped in either Bridgestones or Pirellis (I know that tires are a choice, I just find it interesting).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Wonderful pictures - the Aperta wheels are also available in both gold and black.

6. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    The last wheel is Speciale A, the three preceding it are Speciale. Although anything is possible I guess, I tried to get the Speciale A wheels as a factory option on my Speciale and it was declined.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    This makes perfect sense, thank you! After checking my database, I've only seen SpecialeAs with that wheel style. Thank you!

8. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #8 Euroryno, Jul 6, 2015
  9. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    #9 Bronzage, Jul 6, 2015
    Why was it declined??? I have them on mine, when I was spec'ing I asked and was immediate yes.

Sorry about that….but then again…sometimes they are just lazy. LOL!

MJ

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dear Lord, that looks incredible! Do you have more pictures?!? Also, can you tell me the serial number? I would really love to add that car to my registry!

I, too, am confused why he was told no when he tried to order SpecialeA wheels for his Speciale. People who ordered 16Ms were able to order them with 430 Scuderia wheels.

11. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    I posted some in the Speciale Pic forum. I will inbox you my # for the registry no probs.

MJ

12. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I spec'd my Speciale at the factory. The two things I wanted most were the wheels and stripe from the A. The factory would not allow either. I was told I could order the wheels from the parts department at the dealer but they would not ship the car with them. I was also told I could pick any stripe Ferrari has ever produced except for ones currently in production.. which is why I went for a unique stripe.

13. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    Exact same story. Went to factory. Same with stripe, same with wheels.

14. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Is it a USA dealer thing? I had no challenges with either of those options. In fact they were super flexible. I did mine in the factory, was an amazing experience and I got a yes to everything i asked for….especially for the price!!!! But then again…thats Ferrari.

Sorry to hear about you not getting what you want guys, both ways am sure the cars are amazing anyway!

MJ

15. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Only available in gold and grey, no black. Just picked up a grey set from the dealer for my Special and they are now being painted matte black.

16. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Thanks for all the feedback on the wheels, this forum has a great knowledge base. I ordered the gold Aperta wheels primarily because I wanted to differentiate the car from the 458 spider. I also specified carbon options for the winglets and front fender vents which are exclusive to the Speciale & Aperta.

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What in the actual ****?!? I, too, am curious is this is merely a US thing, or if others outside the US have experienced this problem? I thought Ferrari, now more than ever, was flexible with options so long as your checkbook was open. Why are owners being denied seemingly simple options? Is it to add exclusivity to the SpecialeA? Has Ferrari increased the price of the SpecialeA? If it's to add value via collectibility/exclusivity later on, why does Ferrari care, they won't see any of that gray market profit?

PS Have any Speciale/SpecialeA owners experienced issues with their cars' clear coats? I've learned of some problems with MY15 Speciale(A)s and wanted to poll owners to discern the veracity of what I'd heard.

18. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Looking at the pictures, that car does have SpecA wheels but not a a SpecA stripe. He also has a Taylor Made car which affords you many more options than simply going to the Atelier. a TM car is $70K extra just to get in the room. It appears that TM Speciales could in fact order the SpecA wheels, or perhaps they were changed by the dealer with a nod from the factory. What I do know and has been confirmed by others is the Atelier could not order SpecA wheels and so far I have seen no car (other than the SpecA) with the SpecA stripe.

19. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    #19 AZ-Giallo, Jul 7, 2015
    What I've been told is that you can't spec a car with features of another CURRENT production car. You can spec one with features of past cars, but not current. I still did a custom stripe, and I had the wheels painted to match the stripe. Here's a factory rendering. My last update a few days ago is that I'm at status 30.

20. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    #20 Jasone, Jul 7, 2015
    We have the exact same info, and that's what I did as well. I see you have the stripe on your seat, Anna told me not to do that as it causes a week spot that will eventually tear. Or she may have just said that because she didn't like the stripe on my seat :)

21. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    BTW/ I love your stripe and your car! I originally wanted to recreated the way the A was introduced but when I couldn't do that I went a totally different direction.

I love what you did.

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Okay, this makes sense. You can't get the livery of another model unless you pay a premium to get into the Tailor Made room.

23. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    Does anyone know of the Speciale wheel could have been ordered with the Black Gloss finish Imstead of the matte finish?

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #24 RayJohns, Jun 25, 2016
    Great thread.

I was going to install Speciale grey wheels on my Italia. In the end, I grew to like the diamond cut. I did install Titanium lug bolts though, which I think adds a nice touch. Here's a photo I took the other day of my wheels.

Ray

25. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    You can order it any color you want. The only issue is price :)
    Mine are Nero Stellato - same color as my stripe. I don't recall how much, but I remember thinking at the time that it was cheaper than I was expecting.