Wrapped 458s | FerrariChat

Wrapped 458s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by islandtrader, Aug 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    I am looking at a 458 with a clear matte wrap. I have never bought a car with a wrap, anything I should look for, watch out for? I actually think its pretty cool but then again was the previous owner trying to hide some blemishes in the paint?

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Odds are that any blemishes (chips, dings) are in the wrap and visible, not in the underlying paint. Owners typically apply matte wrap to get trendy look and get some paint protection, not to hide what is already there.

3. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Only one way to find out. Best

4. Ferrari Now & Forever

Jun 16, 2015
    No he was protecting the paint. I'm getting my hood wrapped on 9-19. My bumper is wrapped but I'm going to go ahead and do the hood as well. I was told some F owners have their entire cars wrapped.

5. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Would the wrap give 100% protection against chips? Some chips even break windshield, I don't think it won't cut through the wrap. My car doesn't have anything, and now chips and bugs everywhere, even door panel.

6. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    You can get a separate film for the windscreen. You have to check if it's legal in your area. It stops most chip and crack incidents and prevents that fine pitting.

I drive a lot at high speed in the desert where winds blow all kinds of stuff around. So our FF is completely wrapped. I don't regret it.

7. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    I have also wrapped my 458 Spider from tip to tail. And, after suffering the annual cracked windshield in Arizona, I added the clearplex on the windshield. It definitely gives you piece of mind to have it on the car and I dont cringe anymore from road debris hitting the car.

Interesting though, dust and dirt do seem to cling more to a wrapped car. But that is easy to wipe down after a spirited drive

8. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I tried to convince my insurance agent that the clearplex should qualify for a discount on comprehensive insurance (or would they rather pay 8K for a windscreen). No luck.

9. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    That is a very good point. I just hated waiting 6 weeks for the glass to come from Italy, so I never wanted to go through that again. The clearplex was pretty cheap relative to the clear bra. It was only $450

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Is it clear enough??

SV

11. Ron4pro

Ron4pro Karting

Oct 21, 2013
    Arizona
    It is definitely clear...I have to look hard to notice it. Without the clearplex here in AZ, a brand new windshield will start to show some pitting within a few months of driving. You get none of that with the clearplex. It is similar to clearbra but a lot thinner and has the same self healing capabilities.

12. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I just had clearplex put on my 458S