I really like my 458 | FerrariChat

I really like my 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RBK, Aug 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just returned from a drive, have owned car a little over 3 years and still enjoy the car as much or more than the first day. I have owned allot of cars and have only limited myself to buying those I would "drive". For example, a Rolls Royce is not really "driven", and for me, a Bugatti being dinged would keep me up at night. With that said, I like the 458 because, for the street, it is as fast as any SANE individual would drive a car (within the U.S.). I respect the fact that the German Autobahn affords opportunities that most countries do not, and for those who primarily track their cars, there may be a better choice. But regards to torque, adhesiion, suspension, power, creature comforts, aesthetics, etc. and not to forget the incomparable "sound" traveling at high rpms through a tunnel or beneath an underpass, I have never "enjoyed" a car more. This car brings with it all anyone could ask for if used primarily for the street. Sure, I may buy a different car someday (I own several cars that work fine including a Z 06, which, if not driven on a hot day on a race track, is also a tremendous street car). I have driven the McLaren, a technological masterpiece, that my wife cannot enter or exit with anyone within eyesight, Lamborghini's which feel "rough" to me, with less than ideal visibility and too much Audi. It is true I have never driven a Lambo Veno, 918 Spyder, Zenvo St1, or a Ferrari La Ferrari, etc., but given I have limited wealth such "toys" would be more a source of worry on the street than enjoyment. Could not resist sharing my moment. Sure, the 488 is technologically advanced, and putting our (subjective) views of the body aside, no doubt a "improvement" over the 458. But sometimes change is simply change, and as I see what is happening to na engines and in particular Ferrari management, I am not so sure selling the 458 anytime soon makes much sense. Best

2. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It probably always makes sense to enjoy what we have as opposed to pursuing an upgrade.
    I am good at doing that sometimes and not others. Sigh.

3. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm sure many other 458 owners (including me) share your thoughts. It checks all of the boxes for that "special" car. Nobody on the street says "nice car, but the new mid engine V8 Ferrari is better". Only on this forum. Enjoy it in good health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I really, really, Really love my 458. 1st Ferrari, test drove and bought 6/4 of this year. I share your sentiments. This car is for life....

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #5 PhilNotHill, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    I agree. Haven't driven all the cars you hve but I love my 458 spider after 2.5 years and over $23k miles. Ferrari really hit a home run with the 458. I would have to drive a 488 and be sure it was really better for my needs before I made the plunge.

We ate lunch today at the top of Aspen Mountain (11,200 ft) and then went for a drive in the twisties and highway. The weather was perfect and not much traffic. We both hated to stop. Went farther down valley than we had planned and got Frappacinos. So tomorrow we are going to Marble and McClure Pass. Can't wait.

6. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    My 458 was just sold to a local guy, whom I'm sure will love it but I will miss it as well. So many people say, "are you crazy! you will never miss your 458 with your new Speciale!" I love my Speciale 2X my 458 but I still miss it.. as I do my 430.

Can't go wrong with a modern Ferrari.

7. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
    458 is a keeper for me too. I do want a speciale, but personally I can't justify the price difference. Plus I prefer the design of the italia over the speciale. 488 is not even on my mind.

8. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto
    Same, I'll wait for the speciale prices to come back to earth then dive in.

I'll pay a bit to move from italia to speciale but not the current difference.

Hopefully they start to flood the market when guys trade for the 488.

9. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    I dropped my 458 off at the dealership this week on consignment, my Speciale should be here in 3-4 weeks. My heart actually hurts :( It's an awesome car and I still think about going back and picking it up to keep. But I guess that just doesn't make sense...and the wife wouldn't like that either.

10. Goosebug

Goosebug Rookie

Jan 11, 2015
    California
    Any thoughts on when the Speciale will come down to earth? Have a 15 Spider. Tempting trade for a few Speciales sitting on the market. Could get hit on both ends if timed wrong!

11. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    The 458 hits all the sweet spots. Mine is a keeper.

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Well said sir.

13. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013

True True True.
    Let's look at options if you want to let go the 458 :
    Speciale : Make sense.
    918 : Different level. Imagine how much the insurance will hammer you to daily drive this.
    488 : LOL. Beautiful Beetle.
    Mclaren : Again LOL.
    F12 : Make sense, but the look.....
    Huracan : After thinking and thinking.....no thanks.
    Aventador : Make sense.
    Conclusion : Keep it and drive it until the engine is smoked.

14. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +458 :)

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Love my 458!
    Picking up my F12 later this week..still keeping the 458...unique, special, a thrill to drive.

16. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Drove mine in the canyons today: still utterly and hopelessly smitten :)

17. phishgoldy

phishgoldy Karting

May 12, 2014
    NYC
    My 458 is the right blend for me. It is probably not as comfy as a 911 Turbo, as fast as a 650S or as aggressive as a Lamborghini Aventador, but it's the perfect blend of all of them. It's easily usable on normal roads and fun and exciting when you want a thrill... and IMHO the prettiest creature of them all. Mine is in Blu Pozzi so gets attention, but also can slip by unnoticed. I think Clarkson was right... The 458 is one of the all time greats. Great post, thanks for sharing.

18. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I didn't know you were keeping the 458.. very cool. I wish I had room in the garage to keep mine.

19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

My wife says I like my car better than her . Well .......

20. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Funny, but I too am almost 3 years into my spider. I definitely like it more now than when I originally got it. Almost sold it 1/2 dozen times for full sticker as I was on fence about it. Material for another post at another time.
    SO GLAD I kept it.
    I completely agree with you.
    Randy

21. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    waited 40 years to buy my first Ferrari and the dream is so alive still today, ordered to my own spec and no chance of selling it, well unless some clown wants it for a Million :):)

22. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My 458 is the only car that has lasted 3 seasons in my garage with no plans to sell her...
    Considering I have had 15 cars in the last 6 years...that says a lot! :)
    I just love this car!

23. coralreefer

coralreefer Karting

Oct 1, 2012
    2010 458 with 24k miles on her. I would love to have a Speciale but is it worth 2 times what my 458 is? Nope

24. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #24 2GT, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Stunning. 458s work in just about every color. Yours works well with the beautiful interior.