2014 458 Spider vs. 2014 458 Speciale | FerrariChat

2014 458 Spider vs. 2014 458 Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sartoria, Sep 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sartoria

Sartoria Rookie

Oct 10, 2014
    #1 Sartoria, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Ferraristas,

I have an opportunity to trade my 14' 458 Spider for a 14' 458 Speciale. Both cars MSRP'd at about same price point when new. Both cars are a very similar silver color (the Spider Argento Nurburgring and the Speciale Grigio Titanio with a navy blue/white Nart Stripe) Assuming a marginal delta (price difference), what are the pros and cons?

I'm really tempted by the Speciale but wonder about its practicality and if I'm being seduced by its (supposedly greater) exclusivity. Even the dealer has tried to talk me out of it suggesting that for my needs, a spider would be more sensible. In his own words, a spider comes across more gentlemanly. (not sure if he's positioning me for a 488).

Besides, I really enjoy the toplessness of the Spider which I would miss sorely in the Speciale. Most Speciales out there (pre-owned) have the Nart stripe and I'm not sure how this sits with me. I'm in a fairly conservative line of work and I'm sensitive to the fact the Speciale might seem a bit boy-racer i.e. showing up at a business dinner with a "race car" as most would perceive it.

Neither would be a daily driver but a drive on weekends and the occasional dinner during the week. As I'm in Abu Dhabi, I would like the occasional track day at Yas Circuit but probably won't track either car often.

Opinions invited

Sart

2. Ferrariderm

Ferrariderm Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Big Island Hawaii
    Well you love topless so you really only have one choice unless you go for an Aperta (And a whole lot more cost) - I've tended towards buying the more edger (CS, Scuderia) in the past and never regretted it (They were by far the most memorable of all my Ferrari's) however if you are looking for a more all round, turn up at nice restaurant type of Ferrari I'd probably stick with the spider. Just my opinion obviously :) Best of luck, not a bad problem to have!!

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Don't be seduced by the aspirations of others...drive what makes YOU happy.

4. RossoDiamante

RossoDiamante Karting

Jun 3, 2013
    Mid-Atlantic, US
    Always the best approach.....

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    You say you are not a stripe guy and like topless driving. Same here.

Hold out for an Aperta. I drive with my top down 99% of the time. A coupe would be a garage queen for me. :(

6. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    IMO, pros about Spider :
    - Two worlds because of the hard top.
    - You can enjoy the sound more when roof is down, much better than windows are down on the Speciale. Because the sound is coming from behind.
    - Most of the time when weather is good, you want the roof to be opened.

Pros about Speciale :
    - Faster.
    - Corners better (only on a race track).
    - Interior is better.
    - Light weight, so better driving experience.

7. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Speciale interior better? I always thought the opposite...

8. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    I too have a Spider and love the visceral sound when the top is down. I'm also intrigued by the Speciale and it's exclusivity. Both cars looks great but the Speciale has the more aggressive look to it. Very hard decision to make. I think the Spider is more versatile being that you have two cars in one. You don't track it that much so the Spider seems to be more logical choice. If you're looking at retaining it's value more then it's the Speciale. Go with your gut feeling and not what others want.

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1

10. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    To me I was planning on placing an order on the 488 spider but i could not resist the exclusivity of the 458 speciale and how track focused the car is so i went for it. I own an SLS amg and do miss the refinment i get in the Merc when driving the 458 but dont be fooled into thinking its less enjoyable then the topless italia. It has less noise insulation so you get to hear the engine more. Btw i live in Abudhabi too and the weather is too hot to go topless.

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    How about night and very early morning?

12. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I'm a coupe guy.. don't ever like to take the top down. It's different for everyone.. just love what you have..

13. Sartoria

Sartoria Rookie

Oct 10, 2014
    Hey Abdullah,

Did you get your Speciale from Al Tayer? Where in Abu Dhabi are you located? I'm in Khalidiyah just around the corner from Al Tayer Ferrari.

Sart

14. RossoNero

RossoNero Karting

Sep 7, 2012
    JHB, South Africa
    Full Name:
    Henry
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

You'd be flirting with a Spider if you were sitting on a Speciale. This is what makes us human :)

15. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    Its preowned from Al Tayer, i was planning on buying a new 2015 from Al Tayer sadly no Red speciale was available for purchase

16. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    I would keep the 458 spider since you would be loosing an important element of fun while going topless

17. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Ask yourself this, would you want to trade your speciale for a spider if you had the speciale right now? You would probably hold off on doing that and either A get the aperta or B wait and get the 488 spider. I would go for the speciale.

18. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    get the speciale.

19. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    I would trade in a 458 coupe for a speciale but not 458 spider for speciale. Unless you really want to spend your time at the track

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    If you went for the Speciale you would know you've done the right thing, whereas if you stick with the Spider you will be left wondering and justifying. The Speciale is a different car and absolutely BRILLIANT!

I love top down, but I love driving more.

21. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Exactly.. and you can always pick up a spider tons on the market.. Speciales, not so much.