Looks like I'll need a new windscreen | FerrariChat

Looks like I'll need a new windscreen

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by garak, Nov 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    #1 garak, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Drove my car up to Vegas for the weekend from Tucson. On the way back, on the two lane section between Kingman and Phoenix, came up on a semi. I was only behind for a few seconds before I could make the pass, but right before I passed, I heard the loudest impact I've ever heard on the windscreen.

It left a crack longer than one foot. I suspect the rock was larger than a quarter in diameter. Maybe even golf ball size.

I've attached the picture of the damage.

Oh well, unlucky. I used up my luck on the tables.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Easy fix; glad you're ok :)

3. Aeroengineman

Aeroengineman Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2003
    Maple Valley, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Tegeler
    My insurance company tried to have Safelight who manages their glass do it. I told them they'd better find someone who has done it many times. Safelite no bid the deal because of the liability of working with the Ferrari interior pieces.

Turns out there is only one guy in Seattle who does it in conjunction with the dealer. Its important to have the dealer do it because there is so much interior work to remove and replace to do it.

The dealer will sub to the glass guy - not the other way around.

Just trying to help - fortunately I had zero deductible on glass.

4. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    Thanks, actually glad the rock didn't dent some bodywork.
    Thanks for the info. I also spoke to my insurance company about the dealer doing the replacement. Worst case, I will have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed for the cost by the insurance company.

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    if you have to pay out of pocket first, please let us know what the cost is for future reference. Thanks.

6. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    Dealer quoted $4,869.99+tax. I have the heat insulating windshield, which I suspect costs more.

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That sounds pretty crazy...

8. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    You know what's really crazy, I was curious to know how much it would cost to upgrade to the Ferrari OE carbon fiber diffuser, and they quoted - no joke - $28,000.

So word to the wise, if you want Ferrari OE carbon fiber, be sure to spec your car with it when it's being built. If you decide you want it later, they are going to ask for outrageous sums of money.

9. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I bought an after market CF diffuser which had the exact same weave, same quality except better since the individual fins are replaceable unlike the OEM version. I paid $5K installed and the dealer now has that as an option for other customers.

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    $5K is the ball park

11. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Clearplex/Braygroup foils work well.

12. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    would clearplex have kept the windshield from cracking given the size of the rock that hit this windshield?

13. garak

garak Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Florida/Arizona
    Can I ask what vendor you used?

I also bought an aftermarket CF diffuser from a well known, highly recommended vendor, but it has major fitment issues. After that, I decided to see how much the OEM version was.

14. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    I don't know. I had a similar situation to the OP, where a truck infront of me purposely shifted over to the shoulder to blast me with rocks. After a wash there was nothing...

15. GuardCo

GuardCo Karting

Jun 10, 2014
    Houston TX
    Sorry to hear about your windshield but like you said glad it didn't damage anything on the body.

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Glad you are safe and the metal body work wasn't damaged. The windshield did its job. Sorry for the expense but thats just how it is sometimes.

17. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Glad the airbags did not go off. :)

18. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I'll find it for you.. it was over a year ago but no fitment issues, the dealer became a vendor for them and now offers it in addition to OEM.

19. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Please send me a pm on what one you had problems fitting with so that I don't make the same error in judgement. Thanks in advance !

20. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I had my windscreen replaced, it was about $4,800. Took it to the dealer who had their glass guy come in. Was done perfectly, even reinstalled my inspection sticker and e-z pass. Until I saw this thread, I forgot all about it. No worries.

21. monacodibaviera

monacodibaviera Karting

Apr 30, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CD
    You can find brand new OEM windshields online and on eBay for 3K or less. Just go to a good independent body shop and have it installed for probably less than 200. That's exactly what the dealer does, too. Sounds like an easy 1.5-2k in savings to me.

I just ordered that tricolor badge that you can add to the F logo on the trunk lid. The option is 1,300 list and I bought the piece new for 550 + 10 minute install.

I only pay attention to the parts being OEM and these pieces do exist for a lot less with a little bit of research.

Just saying..

22. FerrariPaula

FerrariPaula Karting

Nov 26, 2016
    Redmond, WA USA
    I'll add a recent data point; just had my 2014 458 Italia windscreen replaced by the dealer, total cost about $7K with tax and labor. State Farm paid, no questions asked, just cost me the deductible. Oh, and they also managed to get my toll sticker off the old one and place on my new windscreen somehow (those are so hard to get off, don't know how they managed that!).

Paula T.

23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Glad to hear. That was a nasty crack. I saw at the concourse. Chatted with you briefly.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any photo's of the replacement itsself ? :)

25. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    As for F12 tdf, they qouted $60,000 for carbon bucket seat for both sides.

Thank them for letting me give up without hesitation LOL