Why so many 458s on the market?? | FerrariChat

Why so many 458s on the market??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by phanliu, Nov 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Don't understand everyone brags about their naturally aspirated 458. So why is their so many 458s on the market? I bought mine for the time being in August until my F12 was ready and now it almost is and I see so many 458s already on sale. Maybe winter? Or people are finally ready to move on the next gen?

2. Ferrariderm

Ferrariderm Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Big Island Hawaii
    Its both! Folks taking delivery of their 488's + the normal winter season where cars get traded back in to the dealers. What is interesting is how fast inventory seems to be building and cars seem to be selling slowly.. I'm looking for a 458 Spider rt now but contemplating waiting till Jan when the prices on 2014/2015 should drop again as the year rolls over (At least thats the theory) - We shall see

3. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    I would be curious how many 458 owners have seen the 488 in person. I saw one at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. In my eyes, stunningly good looks which I never thought about the 458 (even though I'm in the process of looking for a 458).

4. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad
    i swear i didnt like the 488 only after getting a proper test drive which took 1hr more or less, the car is amazing and looks stunning from any angle + it drive much way better than the 458.

5. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    The market is flooded with 458's being it is winter, 488's are starting to roll in now and the 458 is no longer the "newest" thing. I tell you what though, someone can grab a really nice 458 for low 200's. I had one, it is a great car for the money no question. I think prices will soften even more on the 458 over the next 6 months in my opinion. Too much supply and not enough demand...

6. LuxuryLife

LuxuryLife Karting

Mar 19, 2015
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My dealer friends tell me not to touch a 458 right now. Too much inventory and they aren't selling. Prices will continue to fall on them.

7. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel

That's the other problem the later model years are still were they were in terms of pricing with low miles. And cars in low 200s are are the earlier year models. But I've seen at least a 10k drop since August when I bought mine. But trading now for my other car will have to suffer a significant hit. Bad timing now!!

8. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's incredibly difficult to get a 488, it's not like you can wake up and say "I'm going to trade in my 458 for a 488 today." I think the 458 will go down in history as a huge landmark for Ferrari - and even though yes, the 488 is better in every performance way, at what point are we at the 'good enough' line as owners, and not trying to get into the next one just because - I equate it with the iPhone, I'm done chasing that as well, sticking with my 6 until it dies! Love my 458, Italia, going to load on the miles, not care, and enjoy the sh** out of her!

Side note - I have had the progression: 355, 360, 430, 458...The jump to 458 was totally insane, it was a decade ahead of the other jumps, BUT, I miss them all, they were all special. Have a great day guys! April will come soon enough!

9. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen

Lol.......yeah, they have got me on every new one.

Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider- Daily Driver

Ordered 2016 Lotus Evora 400

10. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    That's the case in the US. Here in Europe, while you obviously have to wait for your car to get built, you can in fact just walk in off the street and order a 488GTB. We're free from that list system and "dealer relationship" bull thank goodness.

11. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My thoughts as well. I have "chased" about everything, and as the years pass, the "novelty" wears off sooner. I drive my 458 and truly enjoy it, but a voice keeps screaming "there is something newer out there". Even if I consciously find it equally or less attractive, the "drum beat" continues. I did pay homage to my desires by adding a Z 06 to my garage, but alas, it is like eating carrots when it is chocolate I really want. Best

12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Because Ferrari sold many many 458s. It's one of the best selling model in Ferrari's history.

13. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Speciale a landmark car.

Great to have maca amongst others keeping F honest. Will it push them to a carbon chassis for the next gen (as 488 is of course 458 based)? Who knows; I hope so, but doubt it. Next maca super series will possibly have e-turbo/s. Exciting times.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A lot of bucket listers bought it. They have no real interest in the car other to say they owned one. They are not enthusiasts. They are Ferrari's new market strategy.

15. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Thanks for the info.

16. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    They will depreciate but its really not a big deal. People by these cars because they can. The 488 will be selling for well over 300k, probably even over $350k for a while. Nobody knows what the 458's will be worth a year from now. A lot of factors fall into place too. Is it a spider? How many miles? What kind of options? Buy a car because you want it and want to enjoy it now, not for resale or depreciation...

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How long can you guarantee you will live?

No one ever said on their death bed "gee if I bought that car today I'd save a ton of money!"

It's just money. You can make more of it-- unlike time.

For the life of me I've never been able to figure out why humans think money is valuable and something to save but they throw away time like it was worthless.

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Yes. At any income level.

19. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    Very well said Mayor! I always enjoy reading your posts because you are the most wise! I took the plunge in July and bought 13 Red Spider. Never regretted it. I'm 42 and see my time on earth diminishing each day as it passes. My plan was to buy my first Ferrari when I retire but what good does it do when I'm in my 60s. Life is short!

20. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    This is a simple case of demand vs. supply. The reason you can walk in to any dealer and just order a car is that there isn't a line of people queued up down the street waiting to order a car.

In the US, we have more demand than supply which creates the "list". Ferrari always supplies less cars than demand as a core business practice.

Simple economics..

21. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Also want to add that all this talk of 458 owners suddenly dumping their cars in anticipation of new 488s is hogwash.. delivery of 488s in the US is a small trickle starting now and won't ramp up until mid 2016. I don't know any Ferrari owners that are 'dumping' their 458s now because they are getting a 488 in the next 12 months. All the owners I know are in line like the rest of us and wouldn't dare give up their Ferrari until the new one is delivered.

22. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Not all of us. I dumped mine a couple of months ago.

23. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Poor girl :(

24. Ferrariderm

Ferrariderm Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Big Island Hawaii
    I'd have to agree with this, my dealer said that most of the cars coming into inventory are from people trying to beat the depreciation curve even though their 488's are in many cases months away... Problem is now is too late....

25. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Apparently I hang in different circles. I'm sure some owners are selling their 458s now while waiting for their new 488 (18+ months) but the vast majority of owners that are in line for a new car in the next 12 moths have many Ferraris.. As has been discussed a 1000 times on this board.. you can't just walk up and get a new 488.. anyone that has an allocation has one because of many purchases and a solid relationship with their dealer... most of those people.. like me have several Ferraris and aren't rushing to sell their current model while waiting for the new one.

Most trade ins will happen at the time of delivery.. not the time of order.