Help! Lowered my car, Novitec springs, Maybe too low? Help? | FerrariChat

Help! Lowered my car, Novitec springs, Maybe too low? Help?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by graphicdisorder, May 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    #1 graphicdisorder, May 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2011 458, WITH front lifter system. We put in the new springs all around the back is dead on awesome perfect. Front is fine as far as ground clearance but even under moderate braking the tires are rubbing the inner fenders. (plastic on the top of the fender).

Specs are the Novitec 1 1/8th drop springs.
    Front 21 inch wheels. 255/30/21
    Rear 22 inch wheels. 335/25/22

Did I miss something? Is the front with a lifter adjustable at all some way I am unaware of?? We figure if we must we will laser a spacer and put it under the spring to lift it up some. Car needs about 1/2 inch I would say to be good. But if there is a easier way let me know or if I am missing something else?

Any help is appreciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    You would be fine with that drop amount with 20" wheels. Looks like too much for those big wheels, imo. Raise the spring perches 1/2" and realign.

3. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Agree with rockit. Your car looks phenomenal by the way. Congrats

Andynyc likes this.
  4. United458

United458 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Chapel Hill, NC
    20/21 + novitec sprints are the right combo if you plan to actually use the car a reasonable amount. 21/22 is great for limited use, parking in front of restaurants, sitting in the garage - but not really driving and certainly not aggressively driving.

5. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Of course there is the other school of thought....

Never too low!

6. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    LOL!!! You have to shave the front bumper bolts in the inner
    fender, I will post pics when I get my car back

very best

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What happens with F1-trac with 21/22 wheels ...error light ?

8. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Is there a way to do that on a car with a lifter without me making a spacer???

9. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Love to see how you did it!

10. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Anyone else know?

11. 2012-458

2012-458 Karting

Nov 10, 2015
    #11 2012-458, May 22, 2016
    Baitschev and steven t evans like this.
  12. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Your front looks slightly higher than mine. Do you rub ever??? For example right after lowering I had the car rub inner fender plastic on flat ground under moderate braking.

13. 2012-458

2012-458 Karting

Nov 10, 2015
    It never rubs under braking. But if I turn the steering wheel max, it just barely touches the fender plastic.

I'm running:
    335/25/22 in rear
    255/30/21 in front

14. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I don't imagine everyone has the same sense of "driving hard" but in my 458 I could get the car to rub going around the carousel with stock height suspension and stock wheels w stock sized tires. Really run that black car and there is no way you'll get back with more than just rims on that thing!

15. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    We have the same size wheels/tires for sure. Mine looks slightly lower.

I am told that there is adjustment in the front lifter, maybe mine was lower than yours to start with. If there is some simple adjustment in the lifter system id love to do that. If not I am going to have to build a spacer. My car rubbed fender plastic in a parking lot going straight barely braking for example.

16. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Nothing. The front to rear diameter bias is the same. The ABS sensors don't know what the diameter of the tyres are, only how fast the fronts spin in relation to the rears. 235/35R20-295/35R20 and 255/30R21-335/25R22 both have a front to rear diameter difference of about 6%. As far as width goes, the sensors don't know how wide the tyres are, so that does not matter either.

17. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Figured this out I think. Under the black cap on the front are the adjustments. Haven't seen how far I can go up yet but hopefully a half inch would be great.

18. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thanks !

19. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    #19 graphicdisorder, May 25, 2016
    I must be the unlucky one, even after cranking my front coilovers all the way up, my inner fenders are still catching some on the car. Sure does look good though. I may just trim the inner fenders up some and leave it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Baitschev likes this.
  20. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    I take it these cars never see the track?

21. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I just lower d the car with the OEM coil overs and have 20-21 wheels.... But think the front looks to tall. When ordering novitec springs ... Are there different models ... Also I have the front lifter as well

22. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Talk to Alex at TAG he posts a lot here, thats where I got my Springs.

23. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    So depending on the offset of the wheel, you do see a bit of rubbing on the front fender. Its typically just on the inside of the liner. Sometimes with the 21/22 setups you haveto heat up the liner a hair and push it back. Some of our clients have even gone as far as cutting the rear inner side of the liner out if they purchased wheels that are too aggressive, but thats a rare occurrence.

The other thing you can do is just trim the liner right where the fender and bumper meet. There is a small area that protrudes out, i recommend trimming that down a hair as well if your tire is hitting.

But the first thing i would do, is turn your wheel full lock Left/Right and locate WHERE it is hitting. And lets go from there.

If you have ANY questions at all - please feel free to contact me directly - 877-523-6747 x 198

24. graphicdisorder

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Hitting on that inner liner directly where the fender/bolts meet. I could cut the liner there but its almost rubbed through there already. Thats with my coils overs cranked up FULLY. Its not enough. So I guess we will be putting in a spacer of some sort to get me some more lift.

The tires also lightly hit inner liner lower near fire wall on a full turn. Car has to go up for sure, no doubt about it. Too low.

25. Zlaatan

Zlaatan Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    To be fair, you would have to search long and hard to find a corner as agressive as the carousel out in the public. Not only is it banked quite heavily, it is also very bumpy.