Is suspension lift necessary on 458? | FerrariChat

Is suspension lift necessary on 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kennyboy, Jul 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kennyboy

kennyboy Karting

Jun 15, 2016
    SF, CA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have been looking at 458 and I found one that's has everything I want except the suspension lift. My friend told me it's a MUST option, but I do noticed not many 458 come with it.

Is it necessary? I have a reasonable steep driveway, as long as I do 45deg backup, I should be okay. I don't plan to go to bad road with this car. Only cruising in the nice city and I do not plan to lower the car.

2. hofobo

hofobo Karting

Oct 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Nice but no must have.

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    agree, didn't have it on mine and didn't miss it, but of course it would depend where you live & your driving environment
    my driveway isn't a problem, and I'm careful when entering gas station driveways, etc.
    if it were the 'right' car, the lack of it wouldn't stop me from buying

4. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Agree, adds unnecessary weight and lessens lowering
    flexibility, fwiw I have a real low rider and never felt
    the need to have a lifter, I just use caution and common sense :)

5. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I thought I would need it because both of my driveway entries have fairly high curbs and are slightly steep, but entering at an angle avoids any issue. I have also not encountered any of the typical parking cement curbs that the car couldn't clear. I have a friend that has it installed on his car, and in the past couple of years he's never used it. That said, I'm sure there are some owner's that found it a "must have" based on their driving environment. I certainly would not allow that one item to be deciding factor in buying a car that meets all of your other requirements.

Jim

6. kennyboy

kennyboy Karting

Jun 15, 2016
    SF, CA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thank you so much for all the info.

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree with this gentleman. My 2010 458 which I bought in 2010 does not have it and it is a waste of money on this car.

Some cars like the Lamborghini Adventador have it as standard and it is beneficial.

good luck with your purchase

Best

Lee

8. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #8 spiders, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 458 has a lift. Although I dislike complexity, I am pleased the car has a lift. Because the streets are highly crowned in both my places, I need to lift the front to get into and out the drive straight on. Even with the lift, I cannot pull straight out at one of the places. To make things easier, I had my driveway apron widened to 30 feet. I can now hit the drive diagonally with no lift, but it's close.

My car is stock height.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Nautilus12

Nautilus12 Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    It really just depends on where you live. For me I find that the 458 already has good ground clearance and never am in a situation where a lift would be helpful.

10. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    I had a 911 turbo previously. Live in Maryland...Havent needed it. The ground clearance is better with my 458 than the 911 ( which i hit a few times) It seems to me when you need it , its prob too late to use. When i ordered the car, didnt see the benefit

11. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    If you ever plan on lowering your car, you would be very glad to have it.

12. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I need it in all my cars. 458 spider, 458 Speciale and Cali T didn't need it since it was higher in clearance. I test drove a model S, dealer near us and it didn't clear unless it had a lift or different rims.

13. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have it on my 2011 458 and have been in situations where I needed it. When you need it, you really need it and it gives peace of mind. Unlike my Porsche, there is no rubber under the front, one mistake or misjudgment will be unforgiving. But as said by others, in the majority of instances, it is not needed, but only takes one time.

flexcrac likes this.
  14. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I drive my 458 very frequently around town and to go to work. I don't have a lift and I hardly ever scrape. So it really depends on where you live

15. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    You have a steep driveway. You want to lower the car. Get the lift. Why worry?

16. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Not needed unless you have a very steep driveway. Skid plates make more sense for driving in general (just my humble opinion). Had a 12 Italia, without front lifter and had no issues with 10k miles of driving.

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The 458 actually has pretty good clearance. I personally think it's better without the lift. Just more to go wrong, more weight, etc. The single button on the console looks nicer also in my opinion.

If everything else is spot on, then I think the lift is pretty low on the important list.

Since I just bought a 458, here are a few things that are noteworthy.

1. Folding mirrors sure are nice. I use them quite a bit. Of course, the normal mirrors can be folded in manually too.

2. Diamond cut rims are super easy to polish out if you accidentally rub the lip across a curb. Sand down and buff with a finger nail file, then clear coat. Painted wheels may be a little more difficult to repair.

3. Light color stitching on the dash reflects like a hologram in the windshield. I'm actually going to recover my dash in alcantara and black stitching. For one, alcantara will match the rest of my interior better, and for two it will resolve the reflection thing. Not a big deal, but something to be aware of.

4. If you like music, the iPod attachment is very nice to have. Also, the stock stereo is a bit lacking. It's okay, but I think the JBL one is probably a nice upgrade.

5. Rear view camera is super handy. The car has decent viability actually, but the rear camera is very nice to have.

6. Sport sills look real nice. Not sure how the car looks without them, but with them they give a nice finished look.

7. Racing seats are nice, but so are electric. I have full electric with memory and heat in mine and really like them. The racing seats are comfortable also, but the bolsters kinda much. Also, the racing seat height can only be adjusted up and down via the use of tools.

8. With the satellite radio (I believe) the car has a shark fin looking antenna on the roof. Cars without that option have a smooth roof.

Anyway, that's a few things just off the top of my head to consider.

Ray

18. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    This driveway should be ok, I reckon I could even negotiate it with
    my car, plenty of space for diagonal egress and ingress :)

19. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I have it on my 2012 Spider and never used it. I lowered the car 1 inch and use it now.

20. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen
    Have it, daily drive it and never use it.

Go to Whole Foods every day that has speed bumps and don't use it there either.

Bought the car with it so glad it has it in just in case but certainly not a deal killer.

Cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider
    2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cab

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1. But for me, I use/need it a fair amount. If I visit a location I may frequent with some regularity (like a local gas station), I will gingerly not use the lifter the first time. If I make contact, I use the lifter and file away in my brain the need to use the lifter at that location. If no contact, I just don't hit the lifter button at that location. I find there are enough locations where I need to use the lifter that I'm glad I have it. Beware that just because your front clears does not always mean the fins on your rear diffuser will clear (although they mostly do).

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Imo you don't really need such a lift if you know how to drive a Ferrari :D

Go and get that 458 .... good hunting !

23. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Agreed. I wish my 430 had one.

24. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I ordered it in my 458 and never needed it for the 2 years I owned the car. I ordered my 488 without it and again have not had an issue...Both cars have pretty good clearance in comparison to many exotics....

25. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I live in a hilly area and used the lifter on my 458 regularly. I scraped twice when I failed to use it (fortunately, the front license plate frame took all of the abuse).