Huracan to 458 Spider | FerrariChat

Huracan to 458 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jyupitt, Aug 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Hi All,

This is most first post here and hope get some opinions on switch from a Huracan to a 2013 458 Spider.

Currently I have a 2015 Huracan LP610-4 with 3000 miles, my dealer has a 2013 Blk/BLk 458 Spider with 6 thousand miles ( Carbon seat/sport package/ pretty loaded car) asking for 259k. The 488 is out of my budget.

I went from a 2015 991 Turbo S Cab (Cobb Stage 2/Techart Bodykit ) to the 2015 Huracan, had the car for about 6 months and now itching to get something different again.

The Huracan is a great car; fast but not as fast as the Turbo S tuned. Relatively trouble free and gets insane amount of attention (good and bad.) However for reasons below I don't have the urge to drive this car as much as I would have liked.

1) Sound - I have the 12k offroad only factory race exhaust. To me, it sounds ordinary and not very loud. I read from this forum from owners with both cars that huracan sounds amazing, for whatever reason it doesn't to me. My base 991 cab with factory Sports Exhausted sounded better, and my 991 turbo s sounded more aggressive with an aftermarket exhaust. This is the number one issue that I am not in love with the car.
    I wonder if the 458 sounds better, am looking for a higher pitch, more exotic sounding characteristics.

2) Build quality - everything works well, but plastic bits look and feel cheap. If you squeeze the door closer or the bottom of the steering wheel, they squeak. I also don't like the audi sourced buttons, the clicking sound sounds cheap as well.

3) Visibility - Rear is poor but its the front that bothers me the most, after 6 months of ownership, I still feel very restricted and trapped. Unable to see traffic lights at stops is annoying

4) Storage - frunk is tiny and there are no cup holders inside.

5) Ride quality - I don't have the mag suspension therefore the ride is rough, all the time.

6) Infotainment - High resolution, fast, but the layout is to be desired. It is difficult to see both tach and nav running at the same time. Think the version in the new R8 is much better.I like that the 458 has a dedicated tach.

I have not driven the 458 spider yet, as it is being serviced. But would like to hear from owners whose had both or driven both. And how does warranty work on those thing? Believe the dealer will have 1 year warranty on the car. Though im not sure how as they are not a Ferrari dealer, perhaps its after market?

Overall the Huracan is a great car, its just that I'm just not in love with it. I know the 458 is slower, previous gen but the convertible aspect and hopefully better sounding characteristic will make me want to drive it all the time.

Thanks in advance.

2. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    I agree with all of the above therefore I traded my Huracan for a '13 458 spider. I also have a 991 GT3 RS and a Cayman GT4. I got rid of my 991 Turbo S. I like sound and performance. Make the switch. Don't even think about it. PM me with any questions.

3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    The above member will likely be your best source of info.
    As a spider owner I will only comment on the aspects I can address.
    First, Ferrari has fantastic front/side visibility. Only the McLaren gets you feeling like you are farther over the front wheels. Lamborghinis with their long windshield/dash make visibility one of their Achille's heels. Side/rear view because of buttresses in 458 is at times a problem.
    In regards to suspension, the magnetic shocks make the car extremely comfortable for driving. The spider is (sadly) a little softer than coupe, but if you want drivability, it has it in spades.
    The infotainment is a joke in the 458. I have the upgraded stereo and use the radio via buttons on back of wheel and my iPhone for tunes. That is it. In fact I use the phone more than the dash buttons to change music as I find it easier. Plus, the soft touch buttons can apparently get "sticky" so I touch them as little as possible!
    I have heard several Lambos. The V10 makes quite an impressive sound. Surprised you do not like it better than you do. The spider with roof up in Race mode and rear window down is the "loudest" mode in my opinion. Roof down in sport mode is the quietest. Roof down in race is quite fun.
    You will of course need to drive the car to know if you are getting what you are looking for.
    Regardless of what you get, I hope you find something you like.
    Best

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    Just curious. But what exactly is a sport package for the 458? Never heard of such a thing

5. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj

Carbon sport package - steering / interior trim stuff

2015 huracan
    2013 g63
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj

Thanks, will test drive and come back with feedback. Main concern is that it's a step backward in technology. But I don't fancy what's in the huracan either.

2015 huracan
    2013 g63

7. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj

Thank you for your feedback. When you you use infotainment for radio and iPhone, are you saying the nav is useless? In the huracan we don't even have buttons on steering for infotainment. And changing radio station is awkward for me, have to hit radio, mmi preset, then back and forward to choose preset stations.
    The nav in the huracan is pretty accurate however.

I drove behind my own car with the exhaust in race, can't hear anything from behind at cruising speed.

My friends make fun of me when I pulled into parking lot, they ask if my car was electric.

And finally wife said she likes the huracan better because it's quieter and slower than the turbo s with an aftermarket exhaust. 😂

2015 huracan
    2013 g63

8. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    If I could explain why I do not like the infotainment controls it would imply that I understand them!
    In a nutshell, you have to cycle between different functions using rotary and push button commands. Makes the first gen BMW system look like an Apple in terms of simplicity compared to the Ferrari. For example, let's say you are in radio mode. If I want to go to my presets, I have to push various buttons to get to that screen. Then, I cannot use the control on the back of the steering wheel to toggle between presets. It will cycle through all the stations in between. If I use the dash controls and have the preset menu up, I have to rotate the control to the preset I want, then "push" the rotary knob to select it. In other words, a minimum of 2 and sometimes 3 steps for what should be a one button push.
    And, it gets better! If you have the right screen on infotainment, your big speedo is now gone! Fortunately there is a little 2 cm left screen digital readout to use. I do not have nav, but suffice it to say your phone is better and more up to date!
    If you really want to see how the controls work, go to Youtube and pull up the Ferrari dash instruction videos (there are 2) done by Michael Mills form Ferrari of Atlanta. They are great and I have to reference them frequently.
    I love listening to tunes when I drive so I am fine with how I have adapted to it. If you are a tech guy at heart it will be simple to use. BUT, you will be flabbergasted in its archaic design.
    As an aside, I grew up in the metropolitan NY/NJ area ( Bergen County) with relatives in the city. Where are you located?
    Best

9. KYROCKS

KYROCKS Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2013
    Dallas-Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Kyriacos
    Tech inside the Huracan is better but the drive is what I bought the 458 for.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I had the dealer put the speedo in the left screen in my 2012 spider.

11. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj

Useful info, thank you. I'm in jersey city these days.

2015 huracan
    2013 g63

12. homesite

homesite Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale Area
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I would never get rid of a Huracan for a 458

13. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I have heard of several people doing this. But, I had two issues with that conversion.
    First, I didn't want to lose the gauge readout for temp at the expense of speedo. I figure the little guy suffices if I really need it.
    The second and biggest reason is that my whole gauge cluster went out. Looked like a first gen color TV with aerial disconnected!! Ferrari had to replace the entire cluster for what would have been a 16-18K repair! Plus it took 5 weeks to do!
    So, I refuse to let them go near my cluster/software in the car.
    Thanks for tip however. Others may not know of this.
    Best, Randy

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #14 PhilNotHill, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    My understanding is that anybody can move the speedo if they know how. For models 2012 and newer? I just had the dealer do it before they delivered my car. Think l remember a post on Fchat that said how.

I find the speedo pretty useless anyway. Too hard to read in detail. Digital works for me. I use various things for the left screen but water and oil temp mostly. If the screens fail the revs in third gear match mph...you can use it as a speedo. 2,000 is 20 mph. 3,000 is 30 mph. 5,500 rpm is 55 mph and so on. Since revs are limited to only 9,000 rpm that means it's only good up to 90 mph. :D

15. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Owned both, Huracan has better fit and finish , faster, much better electronics . Huracan has poor front visibility, great gear box (better than 458) and in my opinion sounds great especially with the sport exhaust. How you can say a Porsche 911 sounds Better even with an after market exhaust I can't understand. Which one is better ? Not sure they both have their pros and cons. 458 is more of a drivers car but Lamborghini has come a long way and I thought it was great too. I picked up a 488 , sold my Huracan but still have the 458 (for now). I think the 488 is better than both .

16. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I hate how the huracan sounds like a sewing machine at low revs. The visibility and steering also isn't as good as the 458. Also the exhaust doesn't sound as loud/good on the inside. I prefer my 458.

17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Really disagree with op taste in sound. Porsche tt is worst sounding sports car on market. Like an asthmatic vacuum. Aftermarket exhaust makes it a loud asthmatic vacuum.

I love huracan sound. 458 sounds great too but lambo maybe a little better imo

18. fredhassen

fredhassen Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2015
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Fred Hassen

Here is my before/after Porsche tts.
    I really like the car but Huracan and 458 definitely sound better.

https://vimeo.com/180459964

My cars:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider

2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabriolet

........Only 2 worth mentioning.

19. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    458 w/ IPE F1 Titanium exhaust (no cats) will give you the best "exotic" screaming sound on the market. Period. Hope you make the switch to the 458! The tech is a bit dated but the driving experience is visceral and raw.

20. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #20 458trofeo, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yessss! Noisy F1 all the way!!! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris

Exactly Carlo! I know you can relate! :)

22. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011

Totally agree. My H with sports exhaust surpasses my 458 spider in sound and tech. The electronics of the 458 are archaic and my folding roof mechanism broke requiring me to place blue painter's tape over the toggle switch while they sourced the part from Maranello.

My H has the upgraded sound system and its actually pretty good.

The sports exhaust on the H sounds better than the Porsche sports exhaust on my 991 GT3.

The 991 TTS sounds like a vacuum. Sorry.

23. IMPEX4

IMPEX4 Karting

Feb 5, 2006
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #drivingforceclub

24. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
  25. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj

I hate to be the odd ball here and would love to love the huracan, but the oem race exhaust sound is lacking, I don't understand either.

2015 huracan
    2013 g63