Exhaust valve controller really worth it | FerrariChat

Exhaust valve controller really worth it

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Randyslovis, Jan 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #1 Randyslovis, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Despite being in my spider for a full 4 years, I only finally had an exhaust valve controller installed.
    I have never liked the err/wah/err/wah sound that the exhaust makes as you feather the throttle position. But, it was less bothersome in the spider than it was in my 2010 coupe which had a much throatier exhaust. This is much less noticeable with top down - how I drive 90% of the time. I knew that I did not want the valves open all the time as the resonance in the floorboards and sound was sometimes not needed/wanted. So, I never pinned the exhaust open as many do. Lastly, I figured it would be no better than the factory setting when exhaust open so what was the point save for getting rid of the off/on issue I described above?
    I could not have been more surprised by the changes that the open valves brought to the driving experience. Since having the Forza controller (bigger but cheaper than Capristo) installed, I am blown away by how much the character of the car has changed.
    Now, even below 2K if I let off the gas (parking lot speeds), farts and burbles have miraculously appeared.
    Anyone here knows that at a steady RPM - even above 3500 - the valves kinda close a little. You have to be constantly increasing the RPMs to keep the valves open. Now, at any steady state RPM the engine note stays constant. Plus, slight throttle adjustments ANYWHERE in rev range, allow the exhaust note to modulate as nature (Enzo and the boys) intended it to! It is a subtle quality, not quantity type change as you get with the factory valving. Make no mistake, the factory valving does lend a "sweetness" to the exhaust tuning. It is why I still want the option to have this sound.
    Additionally, I find that as you are accelerating with the valve switch open, the crescendo seems to keep building in a more raucous fashion than the factory setting. Even in RACE mode or higher. This has prompted me to rev the engine higher before each shift than I used to. Good for keeping the carbon off the valves, right?!
    The other added sound/bonus is that if you have to let off the gas abruptly and then get back on it, there is a very satisfying/interesting little exhaust pop. This adds another aural delight not found in the factory valved setting.
    Net, I am very glad I have option for factory AND open positions. It is one more element that I can alter the car's driving experience with. Now with the roof down it is as good as it was roof up and rear window down. Spider owners will know what I am referring to. Roof up and rear window down made my buddy with a Speciale grin ear to ear when he drove it. He said the motor/exhaust really is "up close and personal."
    For under $400 for controller and installation costs (variable vs zero if you do it yourself) I think you get more than your money's worth.
    Especially if you want to add just a little more old school charm to your drive.
    Best

Tamahal, KappaJack and LMH like this.
  2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just picked up a 2011 458 Italia. I had this controller in my 430 and I definitely want to add it to this car as well. How hard to install in an Italia? Any tips would greatly be appreciated. Details on install instructions would help also.

3. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I had the local dealer put it in.
    There have been several threads on install.
    I can say that for the "cheaper" (cost, not quality) Forza controller, its size required my tech to remove the airbox and put it on the back wall. He wanted it away from heat and water exposure as much as possible. Capristo being smaller I believe is an easier install from location standpoint.
    Others will hopefully chime in to help you with this aspect.
    Best

eskanday likes this.
  4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Congrats on the new car Steve....best of luck with it !

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Thanks Scott! Will be posting pics on this forum soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    There are some installation tips on the website. Here is a link.

458c

Best regards

Steve

7. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

This helps. Thanks Steve. I will be ordering one soon.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Adding the Forza Componenti controller was the first thing I did when I got my car. I did it because I quickly tired of having that on/off sound that Randy described above, but like him, didn't want to pin the valves open all the time. Fantastic!

Here are instructions for the Italia. http://www.forzacomponenti.com/documents/Ferrari%20458%20Install.pdf

Their website also has instructions for the 458 spider and a number of other vehicles.

9. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I can't seem to find the installation instructions for a 488 GTB.... a little help please.

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Don't have any specific instructions for the 488. All 488 owners had install done by dealer or independent shop ... so don't have specific feedback or photos. My understanding is that the installer removed rear bumper to gain access to vacuum solenoid valves. After that, installation is very similar to 458.

Regards,

Steve

11. Barry P.

Barry P. Karting

Nov 22, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Full Name:
    Barry
    My 458 is getting the Forza treatment on Mon, looking forward to hearing the new exhaust notes.

12. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I just ordered mine. Does anyone know if this voida warranty?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

13. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    No warranty issue as you are not having the car do anything it wasn't doing when stock. Meaning, no error codes or change in mapping of ecu is occurring.
    You are only changing muffler flap function. A meaningless issue in the grand scheme of things. My dealer pins new exhausts open for some customers at delivery. Dealer would not want headache of voided warranty on a new car if it was an issue.
    Curious if anyone has heard differently.

14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So for those of you who have done it yourself on a 458, how hard was it?
    It was fairly simple on my 430.

15. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Anything you add to the car that it did not have when it left the factory " can " void a portion of the warranty. Will it… Probably not .... lol

Not as easy as on a 430, but shouldn't take much more than an hour total time on the Italia.
    The last when I witnessed being installed was a bumper off job. I've heard that it can be done if you have smaller hands with the bumper on.

Andy

16. Barry P.

Barry P. Karting

Nov 22, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Full Name:
    Barry
    Got back from having my Forza valve controller fitted today. Huge improvement in sound over stock, the system now gurgles and pops when you lift off and overall it sounds much better. I had mine fitted over here in the UK by SB Engineering in Watford, they have fitted several systems before and said the Forza set up was much better than the other makes. It took them about 1.5hrs to do the installation from start to finish.

LMH likes this.
  17. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Cost aside( forza is cheaper) do most people feel the forza unit is better than capristo?I have a 15 spider I'd like to install a unit. I would have my dealer do it...thanks.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Did you buy the controller in U.K ?

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Thanks to all of you for the kind reviews.

Forza ships internationally.

Regards,

Steve

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Hi Labman,

Installation on the 458 is easily a DIY ... but most people have the dealer or independent shop install it. You can review some install tips here ... Vehicles Specifics

Regards,

Steve

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I had a Capristo unit in my California and when I sold it in favor of a 458, got the Forza. I've had no problems with either, and both seem to be high quality units. But the Forza has the additional feature of always closed operation and cost less, so I went with Forza.

22. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Imho the exhaust valve controller is the one best mod one can do
    to any exotic

23. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    +1 even makes the stock sound good

24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

Yep. I figured it saved me a few thousand that I might have spent on another exhaust!

LMH likes this.
  25. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    So glad you are finding the same results as me. I would hate to have steered you wrong.
    Enjoy the car!!!
    Randy