Upgrading music sound in a 458 | FerrariChat

Upgrading music sound in a 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by italiafan, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Has anyone done this?
    If a car has the regular stereo system is it possible to put in some high-end speakers and get a much better sound quality without messing with the entire system?
    Thx

(please note this is a very directed question...please refrain from all the usual "the engine is the music," "I have never used the stereo," "This is a Ferrari, what are you thinking?" And about another dozen snappy unhelpful remarks.)
    :)

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Such as try search for the previous similar threads ??? !!!!!

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    no such luck in answering my question...but thanks for your useful input.

ikenjoku7 likes this.
  4. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I can't speak from a 458 specific point of view, but the standard speakers (possibly even the factory 'upgrade' speakers) will almost certainly be low quality 'paper cone'. Even just changing those for a higher quality aftermarket (same size) speaker will help improve frequency response especially at the mid to higher end.

Also whilst at it ask your installer to put some dynamat audio insulation in the door and other speaker areas. That can drastically improve the sound in a car and stop trim nasty vibration. It doesn't cost much and won't ruin your stock look either.

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  6. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I have a 458 with the "upgraded" JBL system and frankly it's the worst sounding system in any of my cars. Whatever their upgraded speakers are for the 5K optional cost are no better than the worst speakers in other cars. The reception of the FM tuner is terrible.
    So if you want an improvement in sound- good luck. Might be MORE problems than just changing speakers. It is truly an awful sound system.

7. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    Better, more expensive speakers than those OEM ones do not automatically give you better quality sound. A competent installer/purveyor of the new hardware must also be experienced with and are equipped to acoustically tuning the finished system specifically to the 458 interior environment. I can only imagine how difficult a task it must be when the engine is on. Be aware of any required modifications needed to accommodate the new speakers. No matter how well done, it raises questions during resale and creates stories that no new buyers want to hear. If your installer can live with the mandate on no interior modifications, then it may a good starting point. Select the new hardware based on best compatibility with the existing electronics (since you are not modifying the existing OEM system). An experienced installer should know. Frequency response, sensitivity, impedance matching, etc. are variables that should be considered in the selection process. My suggestion is to have an open mind about brands and listen to the professional recommendations. An acoustically well tune interior is arguably more important than expensive hardware. This is not all that different from in-home hi-fi systems when it comes to acoustical treatments, tuning, hardware compatibility (i.e., matching impedance). I recently went through the same exercise with my 458 Italia and was convinced that it's not worth the effort. But that's me.

8. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    If you want a good laugh. search my name and check out my pics regarding the original California stereo and the upgraded HiFi. Essentially a 100 dollar amp and 50 dollar speaker upgrades for 5k.

9. Michael Petersen

Dec 11, 2015
    Australia
    As I have written in other threads, I chose the high end JBL upgrade system with my 458 Spider and the quality is excellent. Just in case it was my inability to tell good quality from poor, i was at the shop where I buy my home stereo equipment (definitely high end high quality) and the proprietor came out to look at my car. Obviously I let him play with the music system. His verdict? Excellent quality! Not a $100 amp and $50 speaker quality! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    i have the JBL upgrade and its pretty damn good. Not as good as a modern BMW/Audi HK or B&O system but still. But thats only when the cars off. there's too much engine noise to make any system worth while

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#12 Cigarzman, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Rob try a set of these for half the price of a stereo upgrade. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Yeah, as has been said, not sure it makes sense to spend crazy money on stereo upgrades in a 458. The acoustics will almost always be trumped by the engine noise, unless you drive on slow roads and never open the vehicle up. Better to compartmentalize your hobbies to make them more effective and spend the money on a nice listening room at home. I recommend the Martin Logan Montis or B&W 803 D3s with a universal Oppo and integrated PrimaLuna tube amp.

Even in less noisy cars, I've always regretted upgrading sound systems. It's never made a huge difference, but that's because I'm used to dedicated listening environments I guess...

13. wab0625

wab0625 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
    You are driving a 458! The orchestra coming from behind your head is the best sound you can get... just need a valve bypass and sport cats to upgrade the sound even more!

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

^This. Those who find the JBL system intolerable either haven't found out how to adjust the tone controls or are so used to really good equipment, they will never be satisfied. I like good sound because the engine sounds do get tiring after extended periods (which is why I put in a Forza controller rather than simply pinned my valves open), but don't feel the need to upgrade the sound system beyond the factory JBL.

15. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have the JBL system. I think it's good.

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I picked up my new to me 458 Spider yesterday...it does not have the JBL but rather the standard system...basically a radio with some suspect signal strength and tinny speakers...no ability to Bluetooth stream from my iPhone.

I want the car to look 100% stock...is it possible to put in a device that allows me to stream my music and then just upgrade the speakers a bit? Basically just turn it on, hit shuffle on my playlist, and steam music..no fiddling.

I love the sound of the engine, and as Kirk can attest..like to wind it out to a nice high-pitched scream..:), but there are times when it is necessary to crank up some good tunes and tool along in traffic...I love music.

Thanks for any suggestions!

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #18 Need4Spd, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Look for a BT adapter for iPod integration. Here is one, but I don't know if it works for the 458. Do you have iPod integration in your car?

https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I'll check that out, thanks!
    Looks like it might get the job done.

19. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    These work however in my 458 (others have reported the same issue) you have to constantly disconnect and connect every time you drive the car to get the media system to recognize it.

I began my career as a recording engineer and IMHO unless you want to spend a bunch of cash and make mods you'll never get anything to sound truly good in a 458 or any other mid engine Ferrari. There are just too many factors working against you. I went through this in my first 360 and while there was improvement, I don't think it was worth it. One very easy way to get the best quality from stock is to use some media other than the radio which is horrific. Sound is VERY subjective so YMMV

20. Bootstraps82

Bootstraps82 Rookie

Apr 25, 2016
    Playa Vista, CA
    This is exactly my experience as well and definitely want emphasize the part about using anything but the radio as input.

In going to the 458 I came from a car where I did the whole custom stereo thing and after trying the radio thought I was going to have to go through all of that again. But then I just tried uploading all my songs to the car and made a HUGE difference. And honestly once you factor in the road noise it was really difficult to notice any difference between stock 458 and my custom system.

The other thing that really helped to me was shift the balance WAY more to the bass than you normally would. Sure when you are stopped it may sound a bit heavy on the bass but when you're moving it will sound much better since road noise tends to be more low frequency content.

21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #22 Melvok, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    It's very subjective, in my case, the oem Harman Kardon system is sufficient.

The map of the internal HK navigationsystem of 2008 is definitively NOT.

How far do we go ? We have a small firm in The Netherlands that "does" hifi in Ferrari's of all countries in the world ....

You have KE10 to spend ... or KE 20 ... what ever you decide ... :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49odrw5o_iU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BkvT13Rnl8[/ame]

22. Head911

Head911 Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Daytona
    What´s the size of the original speakers? I think the speakers in my 458 are blown, I´m not looking for a major upgrade, just to change the orignal speakers to something a little better. It´s the speakers in the doors!! If you could give me a link to ebay or something to change them with!!!

23. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Take a look here...

https://scuderiaaudio.com

It's an FChat member's company (though I don't think he's posted for some time).

24. Head911

Head911 Karting

Jun 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Daytona
    Thanks!! That would be an option but I think I want to find something else, just the speakers in the doors, so any measurements, size or something would be nice!!