458 XPEL areas to cover | FerrariChat

458 XPEL areas to cover

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Labman, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My recently purchased near perfect 2011 458 has just got the whole front clip covered with XPEL film. I'm wondering now if the lower part of the doors/kick panel be covered as well. Is this an area prone to stone chips? Curious to what others have done without covering the whole car which I don't want to do.

2. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    The rear wheel well area is important. Its very prone to getting stone chips from small rocks being kicked up from the tire tread. We have our whole car wrapped as a precaution, but I would for sure do this to your car.

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks. I forgot to mention that the rear wheel wells are already covered with XPEL.

4. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    To be honest, just do the entire car. You can't imagine what it will save you!
    I just side-swiped a speed reduction sign in my wife's G-Klass and if it weren't for the protection on he wheel wells then i would not only be repainting but replacing the one I hit

5. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    I wouldn't put Xpel, or anything like it, anywhere except possibly the inner rims of the wheel wells.

Covering paint with a plastic sheet alters optical properties at the plastic-paint interface. You may prefer looking at paint rather than oddly shiny plastic.

Just drive the car and don't turn it into a plastic sheathed garage queen. If you get a little patina, then so what? It's a car, not the Mona Lisa.

I have 17,000 road miles on my 458 Italia with no plastic sheeting. There are a few pinhead chips if you look for them up very close. This is in contrast to a plastic covered car, in which the seams and chromatic aberrations of the plastic can be seen from 20 feet away.

Plastic sheeting also runs the risk of trapping moisture, with potential for adverse effects on your paint. In climates with a broad range of humidity and temperatures, such as you have in your location, I think you are asking for trouble if you cover the car with plastic.

6. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013

On paper what you say might make sense. I have every single car wrapped and there is zero distortion of paint

Please also see Traveller's new TDF pictures --- not a sign of it.

Lastly, these PPF's rely on moisture to attach itself to the paint - so no chance of moisture getting "trapped" beneath

Maybe 1,2, or 3 generations ago of these plastic protection might have had the issues you highlight. But not latest gen

7. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    #7 spiders, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Thanks for your comments, F12KID. Have you looked at triple layer paint, or even metallic paint cars that are partially covered with plastics? I think you will have to admit that the difference between covered and uncovered areas is readily apparent and supports my assertion that the optical properties of paint are altered by plastic covering. This is pure physics of light. Materials of different densities refract, reflect, and diffract light resulting in chromatic aberration.

I don't care what anyone does with his car though. Just making a comment. Do as you like and have fun!

8. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I have a triple layer paint, Rosso Maranello, and it's easy to see the difference between the XPEL-covered areas and not.

Why spend $30k on paint and then cover it up?

9. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    My F12B is triple layer, pictures speak for themselves
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Floydison

Floydison Karting

Dec 25, 2016
    I have regular Rosso Corsa. The front bumper, hood, front fenders, rockers, mirrors, and bottom of my doors are already covered in 3M film. I love having it on the car - so much so that I'm getting the rest covered too with Xpel Ultimate.. Quote was about $2200 for the rest of the car (full doors, rear fenders, rear wing area, rear bumper - I'm getting the rook/pillars in satin black).

As far as being able to see the film from 20' away, I highly doubt anyone even notices on cars with "normal" paint. In fact, the only time anyone has mentioned it at all is when they are right up on it, within a few feet. Most people never notice unless I tell them.

And getting it covered isn't something you do to make it be a garage queen - I'm covering mine for exactly the opposite reason. I don't want to worry about the paint every time I'm on a bad road, or every time I'm stuck behind some kinda truck. I also don't want to worry about the paint when I wash the car.

11. Spareparts

Spareparts Rookie

Oct 14, 2016
    England
    Full front (fender/wings/bonnet/lights)
    Wing mirrors
    A-pillars/windscreen surround
    Side sills
    Rear bumper

Leave the roof, rear deck, rear wings, and doors naked.

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Although it seems I'm in the minority, I agree with this 100%.

Anyone who says it's invisible is either in denial or has poor vision, IMO.

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #13 Labman, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This would be what I was thinking. Full front and mirrors just done. The picture is outlined around the area I'm concerned about. It's the sill below the door line continued to the Pininfarina emblem.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Floydison

Floydison Karting

Dec 25, 2016
    I'd do that for sure.. my car already had it there.

Did you do behind the front/rear wheels where the fenders wrap around? If not, get that done too.

15. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

For sure. Already done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Spareparts

Spareparts Rookie

Oct 14, 2016
    England
    Yes - that section is critical as the front wheel kicks up stones that impact along that area. Mine originally had the PPF option as an original factory install from spec. Ferrari covered the leading edge of the aero winglets as part of the package.

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #17 jm2, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had this area done on my car along with front fascia,hood and mirrors

18. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Damn that is gorgeous.

19. Aww100

Aww100 Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I would have the highlighted areas done for sure. For me I will also do the full door.
    I got a dent on my previous Fcar and if it was not because of the film I would need to repainted the door. Triple layer paint.

20. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

What do they do with Pininfarina emblem...Cut around it or remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    100% agree - wrap the car.

22. MM3.9GT3

MM3.9GT3 Karting

It is a huge business, and I am astounded as to how many people rush to cover their cars with plastic film. In addition to altering the optical properties, all plastic film will turn somewhat yellowish with prolonged exposure to sunlight.

23. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Of course, but when you look at the cost to have the whole car re-wrapped vs the cost of the car it's nothing.

24. Aww100

Aww100 Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The issue is you aren't getting the value of it when you sell. If you buy one at 230 and sell at 200 some day, the 6K whole wrap cost seems to be a bit too much.

25. Dbops618

Dbops618 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2017
    florida
    Full Name:
    D. Hernandez
    I just purchased my 458 and decided to do the entire front side view mirrors and the rocker panel on the side which are carbon fiber I don't really like covering the car I feel it takes away from being able to wax it and put one's own touch to it but those rock chips are killers