458 check engine light | FerrariChat

458 check engine light

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fxbianca, Mar 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Unfortunately, ran out of gas today (remaining miles must be wrong, said I have 5)
    Now getting check engine light i.e. engine status control warning.
    Have tried to start it a number of times wont disappear.
    Car ran poorly on the ride home
    next step?? unhook the battery for a reset, dealer??

2. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Running out of gas can damage the fuel pump. This could be the cause of the problem.

First though, see if letting the car sit for a while and then doing a restart, or several restarts, will correct the issue. If not, then take the car to your dealer.

I would not disconnect the battery, as the fault code(s) will be lost, likely making diagnosis more difficult.

3. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Why would you trust the remaining miles on a car ECU enough to go down to 5 miles left? Those things aren't super accurate even on cars with less variance in gas consumption.

4. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    First off, I agree, the "range remaining" calculation is a mild guess.....I rarely trust it but realize you can get yourself in a bad spot

The current gen Fcars ECU's and software are set up to protect the engine.....so if/when the fuel runs low, if fuel pressure drops below a certain pressure (low pressure pump) you should get a warning and the engine will downgrade performance; when the pressure in the high pressure system drops, it literally kills the engine.

You always run the risk of frying the low pressure fuel pumps if you run a tank dry, even if the car should theoretically protect you. These pumps are internal tank pumps, and use the fuel itself to cool themselves.

The car "running poorly" could be Limp Mode (which, when cleared, will restore the car); it could also be Limp Mode and a problematic fuel pressure situation.

Best/quickest/safest thing (after you fill the tank of course) would be to have a dealer plug the DEIS in and check the fuel pressures (they are easily read on the DEIS tool). You'll know if your pumps are affected. You CAN try a hard reset (battery disconnect) but it probably won't clear the code.

Check Engine lights typically/can also indicate an emissions error....which could mean everything from a venting issue in the tank to something else, in Ferrari's they are sort of a "Master Caution Light" as most (but not all) potential faults have a unique alert.

Please keep us posted

5. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    This

6. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Thanks

Will let it sit over night and then try to restart

7. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    go to walmart and get a $10 scan tool.

plug it into the obd2 port under the steering wheel. it'll give you a code that you can look up on google.

8. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Let the car sit overnight. Still getting the check engine

Will pick up the Obd 2 today and post the results.

Going to wait till I see what you guys think before disconnecting the battery

9. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Entropy the car is definitely in limp mode

It did not get much warning before the car shut itself down. Perhaps 10 seconds. Pulled over immediately

Tank is full btw

10. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Here are the codes P0087 fuel rail pressure system too low, ? Clogged fuel filter
    P1556 which is limp mode
    P1475 could not find

Next step.
    Dealer?? Or try hard reset??
    FYI car is due for its yearly may be best to just bring it in. I suspect it will need to be towed

11. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Take her to the dealer and have them sort everything out.
    Subsequently, try not to drive her without fuel is the gas tank.

very best

12. spiders

spiders Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2012
    Frank, call the dealer and have them send over a flatbed for your car. Good time to get everything done with the yearly service. I wouldn't disconnect the battery.

13. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Do not disconnect the battery. You will erase all of the information that a technician needs to properly diagnose the fault with your car. Have someone (the dealership) with a proper diagnostic computer (the Deis) download the fault codes and the parameters in order to determine what is wrong.

14. fxbianca

fxbianca Karting

Apr 7, 2004
    Stuart FL
    Full Name:
    Frank Conidi
    Good news on the check engine. Dealer cleared the code and the car runs great. Had its service, picking up on Friday
    Bad news, drivers side window motor bad, $1450. Hear that is a common problem.

Thanks for all your help

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Wow ... you got away easily ...

Only an ECU problem ... good for you Frank ! :D

16. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Congratulations! (but sorry to hear about the window).

I agree with Motob about not disconnecting the battery. That having been said, if you have to get going you could compromise by hooking up your OBDII tool, writing down all the codes and the Freeze Frame data for the technician, then clearing the code with the ODBII tool.

17. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Indeed; had the same issue
    best