488 Decat / Test Pipes- Very specific question | FerrariChat

488 Decat / Test Pipes- Very specific question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 100badboy100, Mar 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Alll

****This is a very specific question, and would appreciate some factual answers on this, not all the usual nonsense about exhausts****

I am looking for responses from owners only that have undertaken this mod.

Q- has anyone undertaken a Decat/test pipes on a 488 with a standard exhaust? If so I would really like to hear from you about this.

My plan is a very simple and cost effective one. Forza control valve and Decat the standard system, and leave the stock silencer in place.

What I want to achieve from this is 2 things in priority order:-

1-The car to spit flames like an angry dragon

2-make the thing sound as loud as possible

Please take this in the spirit that it is meant- I want to hear from owners who have undertaken this mod or something very similar and I'd rather not hear about other kinds of silencers and set ups and why I should by a 458 instead stuff, that has all been done to death.

Just want to know if I can get my car spitting flames and scaring pedestrians! Without spending a fortune or a really complex set up.

Particulary like to hear from any UK based Fchatters.

Regards

Michael

2. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    1. you have turbos and need back pressure
    2. You will need software re-map/tuning if you de-cat completely.
    3. Speak with Scuderia Systems outside london, they have tremendous experience
    4. Check out the NR web site

3. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the info F12kid

Very helpful

Regards

Michael

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    1.- Incorrect. No engine needs backpressure, especially post turbo.
    2. Agreed

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I guess you're right if you don't mind losing low end torque. On a race track it may not matter as much because you're spending most of your time at high revs. But for a road car, you spend a lot of time at the lower end of the rev scale and that's where you'll feel the lose of torque without back pressure.

I don't know about turbo engines, but I'd be surprised if back pressure plays no role in low end torque.

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
  7. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    With the standard back box, it will sound horrible.

8. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County

FAWKIN EPIC........ Please let me know how this Mod goes, I would like the same results :)

I was just talking to a tuner when I shot this video of the Straight Pipes. I do not liek the sound but it did shoot little fire balls out LOL. Tuner says they can tune to load up on excess fuel on deceleration to shoot massive flames out if thats something I would like. I just thought that may not be good idea to tune like that. What do I know though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eTVfv0dpPg

9. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    You should read it... seriously.

10. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Dark Lord

Have you tried this on a 488? Or is it just a guess?

I'm looking for insight here from those that have tried it. If push comes to shove and I can't find anyone that has actually done this mod, I think I will just go with it.

Regards

Michael

11. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I glanced through it. Very interesting stuff. But the bottom line to me is that reducing back pressure moves torque further up the rev curve. And I can feel the difference when I'm driving around town. if you drive primarily on a race track where you're always at high revs, then low end torque isn't as important.

12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    When I opened valves of my cars...
    430 was fine.
    FF suffered sudden engine stop sometimes.
    F12 suffered sudden drop of rpm at low speed.
    458 was fine.
    LP640 was fine.
    Aventador suffered alot from sudden engine stop and I closed valves after a while.

Most strangely, f12 tdf has stock setup and it suffered engine stop once at low rpm low speed with manetino race setting which I believe opens valves all the time.

My guess is v12 does not accept open valve well but v8 does...

So when 488 arrives I will open valves from the begining.

13. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Michael

I am still thinking about how to get the best sound from my 488 when it arrives in a couple of months - hopefully!!

As F12 kid has said, Scuderia Systems would be a good start. Chris at Scuderia has given me some recommendations.

He recently fitted Novitec straight pipes to a 488 and I went to have a listen. It sounded great - loud, but with an FI higher pitch tone. However, that car also had a Novitec back box fitted as well, whereas you want to leave the back box as stock.

I suggest you speak to Chris to see if he has done the mod you want.

I am concerned about the possible warranty risk of removing the cats and re-mapping, so won't go that route, but would be really interested to learn how you get on.

14. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Robert

Thanks for your help here, I will definately speak to Chris.

Hope your car comes quickly...! I'm expecting mine July.!

Regards

Michael

15. 0-60 freak

0-60 freak Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    My fabspeed pipes have been sitting in my living room for 3 month...need to get off my lazy ass and install[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    best sound is easy - novitec cures all

17. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Please, you're going to love it! We're anxiously waiting to hear the results!

When we were developing our 488 components, we were shooting flames with our Catbypass Pipes and Supersport X-Pipe Exhaust System.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJrq0t3KhfY[/ame]

18. 100badboy100

Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm specifically looking to spit flames, the cats are what stop the flames not the back box from what I understand. Have you tried the decat with the standard back box? Are you running software to avoid CEL or is it running Minicats in front of the sensors?

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

19. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Michael,

This car is running our ECU tune as well as Catbypass pipes and our Supersport X-Pipe. I know I have a handful of customers that have purchased the tune/catbypass pipes, but no data back yet if they're throwing flames through the factory muffler box. If anyone is interested in trying this out, I would be happy to work with them.
    The catted O2 spacers would honestly be a 50/50 shot with keeping the check engine light off. When you're completely removing the cats on this car you run into the potential of overboosting issues since you have much more exhaust gas coming through. The O2 sensors will monitor the exhausts new flow, and send data to the ECU which then tries to compensate by adding/removing fuel and timing. This is why we always recommend an ECU flash when going cat-less so parameters are safe.
    I am always available day and night to help with any questions about your 488, don't hesitate to shoot me a message!

20. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The little knowledge I have about turbo charged cars is that the turbo assumes the function of evacuating exhaust gasses and typically the exhaust pipes downstream of the turbo are therefore designed to minimize back pressure. Hence the reason that you see turbocharged cars with coffee can size exhaust pipes. IMO deleting the cats will likely have minimal to no effect on torque or power. But, I am not an automotive engineer.

Steve

21. richard99

richard99 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015
    Norway
    Hi!
    Check my insta account ;D https://www.instagram.com/richard.a.99/
    Did Novitec downpipes and iPe x-pipe back box and to avoid check-engine the novitec techtronic. The sound is CRAZY loud!!
    Thats one way to make the 488 sound like a F car

22. zooyorker

zooyorker Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Fabspeed Motorsport likes this.
  23. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    Which brand I wonder

24. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    No offense but that is flat out wrong. My F40 without cats is virtually undriveable. manufactures build turbo cars as a complete system and when you change one element like backpressure it can (and does) affect how the car performs. ECU and wastegate mods need to be done as well and this just becomes a rats nest. I realize we're talking about 488 and not F40 here but your comment about NO ENGINE is just flat out wrong. If there is no backpressure the turbo spools up too fast and you get a very spikey car which is not fun (and potentially dangerous).