488 Crash at Estoril | FerrariChat

488 Crash at Estoril

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by crinoid, Apr 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Reported 488 brake failure. There were some reports of 458 break failures. This is the first I've heard of poasible 488 break failures. Anyone know about these issues ?

https://instagram.com/p/BSxxzEeB_jt/

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That's bad :-(
    It will be interesting to have some investigation results, specially whether it was a sudden failure or not.
    Against popular beliefs the CCM brakes are also subject to fading, it was clearly noticeable at the track day I did in Spa.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Wow!! Certainly looks like a mechanical failure of some sort......

4. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I'm hoping the it was the driver that reported the brakes as the cause......

Jim

5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Made me sick to watch. I hope the driver was OK.

6. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Oh my god, that was awful to watch.

7. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    With a track day coming in my 488 suddenly I am iffy. LOL

8. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Glad to hear the driver's okay. Thanks for posting the article.

Jim

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sand and barriers for the safe.

10. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    It happened last Saturday at a track day event in Estoril.

Portugal being a small, peripheral country, this sad story has been gaining lots of traction, namely on the internet.

Long story short: the occupants are OK and escaped unscathed. That's the most important thing. Your life, health and well being can't be replaced. A car can.

The Speciale was left in a pretty bad shape too. There wasn't any contact between the two cars, but the 458 was hit with a rain of gravel travelling at around 150-200kph, as you can see here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/portugal/549491-ferrari-%40-estoril.html

488 GTB was a year and a half old. I'd be very surprised if the car isn't totalled. A friend that was in attendance said brake failure is going to be alledged by the owner. I wasn't there so I can't and I don't have an opinion, but he said both cars were having a go at eachother, with the more powerful 488 being left behind on corners and only managing to catch up on the main straight. In his opinion, it isn't hard to conceive that a less experienced 488 driver lost control due to delaying braking past the normal point (some say he started to apply the brakes roughly at the 100 meter mark - that's pretty much the F1 mark at Estoril). You arrive at Turn 1 in Estoril at well over 300kph and it's a second gear corner. Not difficult to mess it up and braking a few seconds later than usual it's all it takes to go off, when travelling at well over 300kph and racing another Ferrari.

Answering the OP's question: I have no knowledge of 458/488 carbon ceramic brake failure, quite the opposite: that they're very durable and reliable, by friends who have no qualms about tracking their car. If you do track the car, you should get more frequent inspections to the braking system, but I'm yet to see technical data that supports beyond any shadow of a doubt that a 458/488 are prone to catastrophic brake failure on the road or on the track, causing an accident with potential loss of life.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #12 AlfistaPortoghese, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks like what happened when Michael Schumacher tried to outbrake Eddie Irvine.

13. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Sure didn't hear much for braking.

14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nuno I spoke today with someone that was there and had a good look at the car after the crash. According to this source a catastrophic failure of the breaks doesn't seem to be the cause of the accident. According to several experienced track drivers who followed the getting at each other between the 458 Speciale and the 488 a very late breaking is probably the cause. The truth can always be found because Ferrari has the technical means for accessing the car parameters registration in order to find out if there was any kind of mechanical failure.

15. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    My admittedly very under qualified opinion: Too fast, wrong line, driver error. An investigation should affirm or refute the brake failure claim.

16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Under qualified drivers seldom notice the brakes hinting about problems until they scream "I'm done".

17. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    An alternate view might show when the brake lights were lit. Looks like he was flying into the curve and he went right to avoid the speciale ahead. Once he hit the inside dirt there was no chance to stop.

SV

18. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    458s are known for brake booster failures, which Ferrari will readily deny. Brake booster failures are fluid mechanical and don't necessarily log on the ECU or turn on a check engine light. It is possible this is the cause in addition to late braking if the driver experienced a hard pedal and non responsive brakes.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

19. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Wow!

Glad the driver is still with us !

Curious, whom reported these 458/ 488 " brake failures "?

Thank you for sharing this information.

Let's see, streetcars ,on the street tires, going toe to toe with each other for an entire session, sounds like and looks like a case of .. over driving the cars ...and their brakes .... it doesn't surprise me that that driver suddenly found an extremely soft brake pedal when attempting to once again late brake for the "lead".

As others have mentioned, Ferrari has a way to check their systems. Not to mention the condition of the brake pads will more than likely be a chalky white around the pad surface and edges ( excessive heat ? )

Curious to hear more about the findings after technical inspection.

But in the end, I'm glad the driver will be OK

20. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Good grief, never track a car without slicks! Regardless, thanks God that occupant was fine! Phew!

21. Raul1976

Raul1976 Karting

Aug 2, 2013
    Too hot into that corner. Too impatient to pass. At least he is safe and will learn a valuable lesson. Sometimes it can be very frustrating when there is someone who is clearly faster than you on the track that makes you take risks.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I had my Italia on the track a year ago...been out for about 20 min charging hard. Coming down front straight doing about 125mph...hard on the brakes for turn one...and the pedal went right to the floor. I hadn't noticed any fade on the preceding turn at all.

Luckily right at the turn is the run off into the parking lot.
    Blew by people sitting at picnic tables still doing about 100mph as I downshifted and slowed over the next 150 yards or so of parking lot.

I suspect I boiled my brake fluid.

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I wonder whether the "VDA Status" screen would actually tell the overheating conditions of the brakes (and/or engine); unfortunately I did not think about checking it when experiencing them.

24. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Type of the tire has nothing to do with this type of accident. Slicks won't save you if there is a problem with the brakes or if you miss the braking point or any other driver error