458 - Slowest depreciating car! | FerrariChat

458 - Slowest depreciating car!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bazle1, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bazle1

Bazle1 Rookie

Sep 16, 2016
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Baz
  2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #2 Melvok, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    As a further sign of this being true, my local dealer had to go out and "buy" a car to put on the floor to sell. They said demand is high and apparently they do not have the usual inventory of pevious model trade - ins.
    Even if I wanted to sell my car - which I don't - I don't know what I would replace it with. Plus, at its current value -220k after commission(?) - there isn't anything at that price I want.
    Best

4. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Not true they depreciate just not fast.
    The dealers are propping them up
    Compared to other brands.
    And remember these cars had a higher msrp.
    So keep In mind these cars have a higher used price.

5. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida

No one said they don't depreciate...the article and comments refer to "slowest" depreciating....

Dealer's don't "prop up" anything, like all businesses they sell to an accepting market, if the cars couldn't command the prices they sell for, they would sell for less.

Jim

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How can dealers "prop them up"? The price depends on supply and demand, neither of which is controlled by the dealer in the used market.

If dealer pricing is too high people will not buy. No one forces you to buy one of these.

shawdut likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Like others, I disagree with this.

They have depreciated VERY slowly, nothing to do with dealers....I for one had to give up on buying a 458 because of this (limited budget).

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    pretty sure i said this 3 or 4 years ago and was called crazy

Efren90 likes this.
  9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Actual sales prices are never revealed and are not publicly recorded like real estate sales are. Dealers are propping the prices up by exaggerating the sales price. Everytime I've asked what did it go for they always say the asking price.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    And that's unique to Ferrari?

Ummm...no.

11. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    It's not unique.

But if we really want to talk about depreciation, I think we have to include what was paid over sticker on a new car purchase. Which no one seems to do.

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Great , now all I have to do is move to the U.K. :rolleyes:

13. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Gentlemen there is plenty of supply of used 458's.
    When I say dealers prop up prices I mean they won't sell.
    They will hold a car for more then 6 months and sometimes a year just to get
    The number they want.
    I'm not here to fight just saying the truth.
    I never owned a 458 and I have been looking around and I have found some
    Good deals privately.
    Just didn't pull the trigger.

14. bh74

bh74 Rookie

Feb 2, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I saw the word "investment"... Move along...

That being said, I understand what you are talking about with cars that are priced very high and sit. I saw a black 458 at Silicon Valley Ferrari in march/April last year. I just looked at their website and it's still there. It might have been a 2010, but the 2011 looks exactly like it. Either way the 2011 that's posted has been there for a while. It was listed for 215 last year.

Interestingly I bought a 2014 from their sister dealer in LA for 234. It's MSRP was 305k. I think if you are serious they'll bring the price down.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Please show me one owner who paid over sticker on a new 458 in the USA.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, you agree with me that dealers can't prop up the price because if they try, they don't sell.

thank you.

The free market rules again.

17. Spareparts

Spareparts Rookie

Oct 14, 2016
    England
    There are always 2 levels of used car: dealer prepped and assured with warranty, and private. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances. Truly, YMMV.

18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Although it comes as no surprise, it's always nice to hear that from a very well known and reputed source that such a masterpiece as the 458 is getting the recognition it deserves, nonwithstanding some "opinions" apparently honest, but that seek nothing more than to promote an agenda.

Why do I say it comes as no surprise?

- Living in Europe (soon to be valid worldwide), all the news we get concern banning cars from city centers, CO2 emissions, fuel economy, downsizing and electric cars. In a few years time (already valid right now, as the article goes to show), the sight of a non-compromise Ferrari NA V8 revving all the way up to 9.000rpm on nothing but good old air and unleaded fuel will be nothing short of a mirage. Kind of the stories my father tells me about Le Mans or racing in general back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Or something like a V12 Formula One car: the epithome of engineering, the maximum expression of an era, the ultimate swansong, a great last hurrah. Like Group B rally cars, for instance. It's the definition of petrolhead heaven.

- The 458 represents some vital milestones: a series of firsts and lasts for both Ferrari and Pininfarina, both mechanically, historically and in terms of design.

- The 458 is one of the best Ferraris of all time to look at, drive and hear. Its philosophy as a car was conceived based on premises that will not repeat themselves ever, due to politics in general, brand policy, the environment, you name it.

- The 488, a great Ferrari, has done something rare: enhace the 458's importance even further. As with most masterpieces in literature of art, a new launch, although more modern and adapted to everyday demand and desire, makes people nostalgic and sigh for the good old days.

- Simple economics: there's no shortage of 458s for sale. In theory, a lot of supply should drive the price down, and yet... Around me, 458 prices are going nowhere, they remain firm and steady on some sort of plateau. Why? Very strong demand and an increasing fan base. There's also an interesting X-factor: people try and test-drive the 488. They like it, it's faster, more powerful, more modern. And they end up wanting a 458 anyway. Call it what you may, personal taste or whatever, but it happens more often that you'd think. Talk to your local dealer, if you have a friend there (valid for non-peacock, non-poser owners who exchange cars every year or thereabouts, just because it impresses some people and it's regarded as status).

-The 458 is one of the greatest Ferraris of all time. Something that will never happen again. People are starting to get that and rush to get one (much sooner than I'd think: I'd thought we'd arrive at this stage only some 5-7 years from now, as it usually takes people a lot of time until they realize the true importance of something).

- The 458 will always be a valuable Ferrari and the Speciale and Speciale Aperta will always be sought after and collectible. Namely in a few years' time, when we've all been shoved down our throats hybrid cars or worse, there won't be a single enthusiast and/or collector that will be indifferent to a 458 and any of its variants. A good, clean car, with all factory accessories, always maintained by the official dealer, no accidents, etc will always be worth your money (not to mention the unique feelings a 458 can give you and the unique way it crawls under your skin), no matter if it's an Italia, a Spider, a Speciale or a Speciale Aperta.

- And yes, I know, I'll be repeating myself but here it goes again because it's true and valid:

"I wouldn't even care if this thing ate one of my legs. This is beyond anything. What a machine! The 458 is one of the all time greats. I really genuinely believe this is better than an F40. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. It really is absolutely, unbelievably, mesmerizingly brilliant"

"It's like driving something that is actually alive. One of the best cars in the whole of Human History. Ever. It just is".

"It's the prettiest car Ferrari have made in the last 3 decades. And it drives even better than it looks"

"Almost nothing on Earth is as good as this. Except something I just thought of including Cameron Diaz and some honey. But come to think of it, even that isn't as good as this"

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson

"This car is the best thing in the world, isn't it?"

"I love this car. This is my favourite ever car".

"This is the best car I've ever driven, by a good way. It's just amazing!"

Fifth Gear's Jason Plato.

"It's the definition of a supercar. It's kind of a revelation really".

Xcar's Alex Goy

"Questa macchina è perfetta, è la cosa più giusta che podevano fare. Un modello fondamentale nella storia del cavallino"

"La adoro. È stato un ritorno alla vera Ferrari."

"La faccia della 458 è una cosa che... Me fa venire i brividi. Questa macchina è un ritorno al concetto originale di Ferrari, quello con che la Ferrari è nata".

"Vent'anni di distanza tra la 458 e la F430. Dopo la 458, la F430 è come guidare la Panda del nonno"

"Questo che deve essere una Ferrari".

Drive Experience's Davide Cironi.

"Farà storia".

Ferrari Centro Stile's Donato Coco

"Just pure petrolhead heaven"

Fifth Gear's Vicky Butler-Henderson

And also:

- Last V8 2-seater Ferrari with Pininfarina badge.
    - First mid-engined Ferrari to have direct fuel injection.
    - First Ferrari to have a 9.000rpm redline.
    - First mid-rear engined Ferrari to have a double clutch gearbox.
    - Last naturally aspirated V8.
    - First V8 to surpass the 200mph topspeed barrier.
    - First mainstream model not to be offered with an option of a manual, gated gearbox
    - Input from Michael Schumacher.
    - Last two seater V8 from Luca di Montezemolo era.
    - Three exhaust tailpipes, homage to the F40.
    - Aeroelastic winglets!!!

458 Italia/Spider: 127 horsepower per liter.
    458 Speciale: 134 horsepower per liter.

(Both all-time records for a naturally aspirated engine)

It's not that the 458 won't depreciate. But the fact that is the least depreciating car is a very strong statement and reality is talking to us. I suspect it'll bottom out at a considerably higher price than any previous V8 and that it'll continuosly appreciate over the years, due to the great masterpiece that it is on its own right and the way the world and the car industry is headed.

I propose we keep this thread and article under close watch over the years. Lets see if history will prove us right or not.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Avia11 and flyer47 like this.
  19. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nuno - As with the 458, your eloquence is a masterpiece.

20. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Don't show that article to original 458 owners that added $90K+ in options...

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Nuno, that was such a fine post that I feel duty bound to go and buy a 458 tomorrow!

Seriously, though, I am halfway through a week's review drive of a 488 Spider around the UK. Taking a similar route to the one in the 458 years ago and the Speciale a couple of years ago. I keep wondering...which do I prefer (and as I have mentioned on the 430 board, how my gated 430 would rank).

Standard 458 was a very special Ferrari, even though made in quantity, even though missing the gated gearshift.

22. Michael Petersen

Dec 11, 2015
    Australia
    Nuno - you said it all, and oh so well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Most of the CF options mean zip in resale.

Others are important to get the car sold quicker.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #24 Caeruleus11, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    I never called you crazy back then, can I call you crazy now? You are anything but crazy!
    :)

Very very well said. But a couple of thoughts:

- Last V8 2-seater Ferrari with Pininfarina badge. {Italia and Spider= yes. Speciale and Aperta = no.}

- First V8 to surpass the 200mph topspeed barrier. {Shouldn't that be second? F40=201 MPH...}

- Three exhaust tailpipes, homage to the F40. {Another link between the cars despite the different aspiration}

25. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Agree with you entirely, it just blows my mind how you can spec a car with an entire Mercedes Benz S-class in options alone.

CF Steering wheel + LED
    Yellow Tachometer
    Ferrari Shields
    Upgraded wheels
    Electrochromatic mirrors
    Rear camera
    Electric seats
    Upgraded stereo (maybe)
    Suspension Lifter (another maybe)

Everything else seems to be froth with regards to resale, did I miss anything?