488 GTO ? | FerrariChat

488 GTO ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wab0625, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wab0625

wab0625 Karting

Jun 2, 2013
  2. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
  3. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    No real surprises or on timing, noted less power than non special edition McLaren (720 and likely lighter).

Be amazed if they use GTO moniker in the near future.

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    2.7 sec to 60mph. Wonder how it will get the power down? Sounds like the torque is very high - Ferrari's 3.9 litre engine has much higher peak torque available than McLaren's equivalent, which may be what allows the Ferrari to generate a time like this (if correct) compared with the more powerful 720.

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Less power and most likely more weight than the 720S. Doesnt bode well for laptimes and such. But it will be sold out so i guess Ferrari doesnt care.

6. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    They can have all torque and HP as long as power can be delivered to the ground.

I wonder how...tire grip is at its maximum.

For Maclaren, they have entry oversteer one has to fight. It can be fun but puts driver on hold through mid corner as one waits for the car to settle from oversteer.

Ferrari has entry understeer and driver works the way up to exit phase not to overpower the grip.

It all comes down to personal preferences and for me, I quite don't care about lap times. I care only how car behaves on track and I just prefer Ferrari any day.

Jason Roth likes this.
  7. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    488 GTO confirmed to be 700hp by a number of articles.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  10. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I'm not surprised by this model but this soon in the 488 production life cycle.

11. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    700 hp is not credible, at all, too Little improvement, Ferrari will almost surely use GTO moniker since it's a GTB car, remember the 599. FERRARI GTO are always more special than just speciale cars. At least 710-720 PS, a bit more weight than 720, super aero and drive feeling derived from challenge cars. A game changer? Probably enough to make McLaren retrieve it's obsession for competitors. Only doubt is the dilemma Frankfurt 2017 / Paris 2018 release.

12. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    Highly unlikely.....

13. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Don't mind the name, I may be wrong, it's important it would be really a racing beast for road. By the way, what name would you like it to have? Let's play with hypotheses. Not considering scuderia, speciale,...maybe the return of challenge stradale? Daytona? Monte Carlo? Or if all goes well, 488 17M? ����

14. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    #14 xfrgtr, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Agree

The Ferrari 288 GTO is an exotic homologation of the Ferrari 308 GTB.
    The 599 GTB .....599 GTO

15. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm wondering whether this car will be the first to have a mild element of hydidisation.....

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Won't be called GTO, but it's the easiest way to talk about it now (that or 488 Speciale). Convinced they'll drag some name from the past, though. As long as it lives up to expectations :).

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great post, based on practical realities of someoen who may actualy uses the car as designed. Thanks.

The stats to me are just paper puffery.

To me it all boils down to weight, how low they can get it. Excess hp just gets bled off by the computer which just steps in the way of overall driving enjoyment.

Maybe it sounds blasphemous, but a turbo high tq engine would mate well with a return of the stick. maybe not the fastest but certainly the most fun.

Kinda wish they would do a hardcore, core buyer version, below 2800lbs, stick and manual steering. Your modern F40. Of course one still has to get past the 488 styling.

Still as others have said, they'll all be sold out so does ferrari really care.

DGod likes this.
  18. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    The thing that matters more, concerning the torque, is te fact that it is not likely it would increase, it is certain that the engine displacement will remain the same, moreover, the current double clutch gearbox of Getrag only supports up to 750 Nm, the Cali T and the 488 are already touching this limit but for very limited time and engine revs range. So I only expect a superior power, less weight and better aero, as 458 Speciale. I'm sure this thread will become super hot in some months, but the car will be not disappointing at all.

19. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    IMHO not yet, but would be a very welcome surprise. Taking into account the chassis and platform will still be the "old" one.

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ferrari limits max torque to only top gears so not sure how to compare their stats to competition.

21. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    At this stage, only Peter and few other people really know real facts and critical features of the new red razor, obviously the hype and anxiety will reach levels similar to the ones for TDF / 812.

22. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Very simple - an answer to the 720S and to make sure McLaren don't "hog the limelight" too long and take too many sales.

Ferrari's timing as usual is perfect!!.

Here's my prediction:

Ferrari will move onto the totally new model quite soon (2019) and this model will be NA/hybrid and destroy anything a turbo car can throw at it (especially in the sound department). This will be early in the 720 lifecycle (and GT2RS lifecycle) and stop McLaren "in its tracks". The 992 from Porsche might be an interesting competitor though.

23. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

If Ferrari truly want stand toe to toe with Mclaren in this sector they are going to have to switch to carbon tubs and focus on getting the weight down to around 1200kg...

TJF likes this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Who wants a hybrid, they suck. 1 lap of nurbering and the heavy 918 is spent.

More pawer is not needed except for paper spec car fans

Light weight is the way to go.

When Mclaren does the 720Lt looks like w emay go below 2800lbs.

TJF likes this.
  25. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    If Mclaren truly want to stand with Ferrari they will need to become more reliable and learn how to release cars in such a way they do not fall apart in value.

Just watched a video of a guy overheating a 675LT on a public road....