458 F1 Panel Screws | FerrariChat

458 F1 Panel Screws

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by nero corsa, May 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    Any chance does anyone know what the size of the black screws are? I like to change them out to the titanium ones which can be had for 1.90 instead of paying 40 dollars through macarbon. I know the hex size is 3mm so its an M3 x.....

Thanks

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The size of the hex key doesn't dictate screw size. Which screws are you referring to specifically?

If it's a machine screw, which requires a 3mm Allen key, then generally you're going to be dealing with an M5 x .80 mm thread. The body panel screws on the 458 are this size and typically thread into a steel U nut on the back size.

Ray

3. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    #3 nero corsa, May 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    M5 x .80 x 30 mm

Ray

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I changed mine out to security torx head stainless screws, but went back because it was a bit contrasty without the black. I'd be interested to see how Titanium looks, however.

Ray

6. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
    Thanks for the answer Ray. I will take some photos once they are put on.
    I got them for about 1.50 each shipped. Just waiting for them to come in now.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Sounds good!

Ray

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #8 RayJohns, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After commenting on the screw size for the F1 panel (on this thread), I decided Nero Corsa was onto something with his idea to use Titanium screws.

Last year I had tried installing some Stainless steel screws on the panel, but they were far too shiny for my taste. I hadn't considered using Titanium screws from eBay, but given Titanium's more matte appearance, I thought it was worth a shot - especially since the screws in question were only a couple bucks each.

With free shipping (from seller zjwhsd on eBay), the four M5 x 30 titanium screws (0.8 mm pitch) were $8.70 delivered. Shipping from China took 12 days. One screw had very mildly malformed threads, but only in a tiny spot and very, very minor (I was able to just run my finger nail across the burr in the thread and that cleaned it right up).

Okay, so out of the bag, the Titanium screws were highly polished. This was the same problem I had encountered with the stainless screws previously. However, with the Titanium, it was a simple matter to scuff them back to their natural matte appearance. I used a Scotch Brite (brown) metal cleaning pad and it only took about 30 seconds per screw. The results came out quite nice. I'll include some photos I snapped while installing the screws.

In the photos, you can see a comparison between the factory Ferrari screws, the Titanium screws as they are delivered [from eBay] and also the results of scuffing up the surface with the pad.

Many thanks to Nero Corsa for thinking to use Titanium on these little guys!

Ray

Photo #1 shows all screws for comparison

Photo #2 shows the difference in the shiny Titanium screw vs. after producing the matte finish

Photo #3 shows the pad used

Photo #4 shows the factory screw vs the matte Titanium screw

Photo #5 shows the completed job
    Image Unavailable, Please Login