458 Buying Checklist? | FerrariChat

458 Buying Checklist?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jlee504, May 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    Hey guys did a little searching, I'm narrowing down on this car.

Used 2013 Ferrari 458 Italia For Sale | Norwood MA ZFF67NFA0D0194331

Wondering if there is a checklist of things to ask the dealer for.

1. Carfax...done
    2. Build list..done.
    3. what about the ceramic breaks? at 8K miles I'm starting to wonder if you should ask them to give you the measurements of the remaining rotor and pad. its an expensive job..

What other info are you guys asking the dealer for?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Nice choice at a good price. I wouldn't worry about the brakes. Unless it was heavily tracked you should be good for many years to come. I have a friend with a 16M that sees it's fair share of the track and his rotors are just fine.

3. Sam draik

Sam draik Rookie

Jan 3, 2017
    Boston area
    Full Name:
    Sam Draik
    I bought my 2011 ferrari 458 Italia from them about 6 months ago , it was the best experience ever , trade my porsche 911 turbo for the Ferrari , Jamie Ramirez made it so easy , great people I trust this place

4. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017

Thanks that's great to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    #5 tobewiser, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Love the CF race seats with contrast stitching and yellow seatbelt. For a 2013 with 3 more years of free maintenance, the asking price is quite reasonable. 9K miles are just the right number of miles driven for a 4 year old 458 - enough to work out all the bugs. If you love the color, a combination like this one is hard to find. I have very similar spec's on my 2010 458 in Giallo Modena and it took me 18 months to find. Highly optioned 458's sell much quicker than those 'plain Jane' versions. IMHO, CF options, especially the race seats, are very important to both aesthetics and functions of the car. Without them, you'll feel that special 'something' is missing after the initial post purchase euphoria wears off.

6. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Looks like a good buy to me. The ccbs should be ok if they aren't tracked regularly. I would do a ppi if you are concerned. Small cost but would give you piece of mind since the brake set is expensive to replace.

7. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    my one holdback has been whether i need front parking sensors, it has rear ones (who orders rear but no front?)

is it necessary?

8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Not necessary but nice to have. I wouldn't let that deter me from buying this one if all the other check marks are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    Thanks I also found this one, the difference seems to be

2014 vs 2013
    no suspension lift
    yes on the front and rear sensors
    and sport exhaust.

Ferrari-458-Italia-ZFF67NFA3E0198522 | Ferrari Bentley Lotus of Denver

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #10 RayJohns, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Jeff,

Generally, the rotor wear is measured by weighing the rotors, not so much via a width measurement, such as using a micrometer, etc.

Also, Ferrari uses an algorithm (when you attach the car to the service center computer) which will approximate rotor percentage wear, based on such things as number of pedal presses, etc. You might be able to get them to provide that data, although don't hold your breath :) At 8K miles, the front rotors are probably only worn 10% or less, if the car was not tracked. The rear might be a bit more, given the constant use of the EPB.

Just by looking at the photos in the listing, I can tell you those rotors appear to be in excellent shape.

You are sort of missing the bigger picture here, however. At 8K miles, the rotors should be fine. At 8000 miles, you should be concerned more with the thickness of the brake pads, not the rotors - and lucky for you that's a relatively easy measurement to take. As I remember the thickness of the pads start at 10 mm but don't quote me on that. I would check the thickness remaining to gauge wear.

PM me if you'd like and I can send you a couple of pages from the service manual regarding visual inspection of the CCM brake rotors.

Ray

11. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Don't need front sensors. Rear sensors are nice for sure. More importantly, perhaps, is the rear camera, which this car is lacking.

Also, did you notice there appears to be a blemish under the air recycle button on the dash? It looks to me like the rubber touch top coast is peeling, but I can't be sure. I'd get a video or detailed photo, as I believe some cars have issues peeling and some don't. Check with Sticky RX and Dave over there might be able to give you some further info. if I remember correctly it had something to do with which contradtor produces the buttons for Ferrari.

Ray

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    There is also a nice one up at Ferrari of SF.

I personally don't like the sensors in the body work. I think all you need in the real world is the backup camera.

I don't have the lift on my car and have never needed it (and my car is lowered 15mm in front). I'd recommend installing a good quality skid plate before buying a car that has the lift. That lift stuff adds complexity to the suspension which, unless you absolutely need to have it, I would avoid.

Ray

13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Beautiful car - really nice. But as Ray said, it does appear some of the parts are starting to get sticky and the HVAC panel does appear to have some soft touch peeling off.

We are starting to see 458 go sticky and are getting more parts in to refinish which is no issue aside from time and cost...

14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

I think backup camera automatically gives you rear sensors - no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Backup camera gives you confidence and peace of mind when backing up into a space where you could hit something behind you. I find enough situations where I needed the lift I'm glad I have it. I've never thought "what a waste; I wish I didn't have a lift".

16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #16 RayJohns, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No, they are different options and are spec'd independently when you configure the car.

The backup camera is extremely helpful when backing up and especially parallel parking the 458. The parking sensors are ok, but I'd take the rear camera hands down over the sensors. I also personally don't like all the round holes the sensors involve.

You can always tell if a 458 has a backup camera (even in distant photos); there is a lens and surround right above the license plate on the rear of cars that have it.

Ray
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Something else to think about... white stitching up on the dash reflects into the windshield when driving. It's not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of. Again, not super noticeable but you can see it at times.

Another thing - and I've only read this, not experienced it first hand - I've heard yellow face tachs are difficult to see in the day light. I have a white tach, but that's one of those things were beggars can't really be choosers :) Half the reason I bought my car was because it had a white tach!

Another thing to know, is the sat radio. If you've got that, you've got an antenna bump on the roof. I personally don't care much for that, as I feel like it interrupts the flowing lines of the car's roof; so there again, I only considered cars without the sat radio option.

Ray

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Let's see... a couple other night options to aim for:

1. Home link is very nice if you have a gate and/or automatica garage door opener
    2. Electric folding mirrors are pretty nifty
    3. TPMS (tire pressure monitor is super handy)

Another thing is try sitting in the seats in person. I wanted carbon racing seats initially, but found them a bit much for the street (and not terribly comfortable) after actually trying them out.

Also be aware some cars will have electric steering column adjustment, some just have manual. I prefer manual myself.

Ray

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Yellow tach was a bit difficult but doesn't really matter. You shift these cars on sound not sight. Leds for me were must have but only as a fun gimmick.
    Race seats.
    Carbon dash to cover up the ugly metal.
    Radio is pointless.

20. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Radio is another one... try to get a car with the iPod connector. The radio is nice on long trips.

Ray

21. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep them coming. Its my first Ferrari. I almost went the way of a 570s but after the test drive yesterday i'm hooked. I'm debating whether to go for broke and do a new 488 order which they offered me but I still want a N/A engine.

- i didn't see the blemish by the AC which car is it on?
    - i would love a rear camera but i can't find a car with it, most seem to have sensors but the current inventory is a mixed bag of no sensors and front and rear.
    - i have buckets in my RS and my last few P-Cars I do ok in them, I sat in what i think are the daytona seats and they are too slippery and cushy. I like a tight fitting seat.
    - i also have the lift on my GT cars and needed them because of my driveway. I do have a 17 C2S and don't need it there, the clearance seems to be 0.4" lower on a 458 so I may be ok without the suspension lift.
    - yellow tach is ok
    - really?? these cars don't come with TPMS?? i think the one in new england has them
    - does the radio not have bluetooth?

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    No Bluetooth. The iPod connector is your best bet.

TPMS is an option you must order as I recall.

The blemish can be seen in one of the photos, right below the recirculation button.

Ray

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    My 2012 has TPMS. Think a basic system is required in the US since 2008. I like being able to see what the temperature and pressure are on each tire. But this is not a must have. My porsche shows tire pressure but not temperatures. Using a tire pressure guage is not a problem. I can see how it would be more handy at the track.

My car also has rear camera. You don't want to mess up the rear spoiler so l think this is a must.

The LEDs on the steering wheel are a must. It is unique to Ferrari. You can keep your eyes on the road and shift at 9000 rpm. If you like driving in WET mode the car will automatically shift at 9000 rpms. Get the
    LED wheel.

The spider is a must have feature. Like having two cars in one. With the top up you can that beautiful engine/exhaust music jist by putting the rear window. No wind in the cabin. Even in the rain you can keep the window down though not all the way if it is raining. Those who track alot may prefer the ltalia but is a nonstarter for me.

Things my spider has that l like but are not must haves:
    Electric heated seats with electric mirrors. Auto dimming mirrors.
    Shields.
    Dynamic headlights.
    Diamond cut upgrade wheels...can be bought aftermarket. As can Mich Pilot super sports tires.

Best of luck.

24. The B

The B Karting

May 30, 2016
    West side of sandbar
    Couple of thoughts may help you:

Between the "17 C2S" and the 458, is the nose longer on the 458? I ask as I had a '05 C2S "997S" and now a 458 as semi-daily drivers and the 458 for me needs the lift and scrape plate whereas the 997S I could work around without to much issue. 458 is just a larger vehicle than my old 997S.

My 458 needs the sticky treatment button treatment. Especially the reverse button.

I end up really using (what I thought was perviously useless) the backup camera, it's great if you can get it. I only have driving experience in the 360 and 458 and both have impressive blindspots.