PPI's arent being done anymore | FerrariChat

PPI's arent being done anymore

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hollywoodgarbage, May 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hollywoodgarbage

Dec 5, 2008
    So I have contacted a couple of authorized Ferrari dealerships and they said because of too many lawsuits they are not doing pre purchase inspections anymore.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks!

2. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    For a fraction of the cost of a prepurchase inspection, if the dealership will out right not perform an itemized inspection for you at any cost .. I would suggest scheduling the car for an oil change. They normally do a visual inspection that should answer a lot of questions. You may ask them to pull codes why they're there they may or may not charge a little extra for that.

On the other hand, if you have specific items that you are concerned about, you can always go in and ask them to check those items and ask how much they would charge to do it.

That way it's cut and dry and you get the answers to the specific questions you ask.

Just a couple thoughts

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #3 TheMayor, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    I'm confused here... are you buying or trying to sell yours?

Today its difficult to even get an independent to do one from a private owner. There's no money in it and nothing but downside.

Dealers also are not interested in helping private owners sell their cars for them. Again, no upside. The guy who buys it complains to the dealer. And, they are interested in selling their own cars usually at a higher price.

And no dealer will allow their car to be sent to an independent to mess with. About the only way to get a PPI is buy it from a non-authorized dealer or an individual owner.

But you CAN do two things with dealer purchased cars.

1) make sure you get a Dealer Certified car. Essentially, they go through the car and say it's OK. If they don't like a car for some reason they won't take it in trade to resell (it's possible they send it to a non-authorized dealership or an auction).

2) ask the dealer to give you an extra warranty period for free to seal the deal. You can have more confidence that is there is something, it will get fixed for free under warranty

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm no so sure I believe this to be universal, both dealer PPI's and dealers allowing the car to go to an independent. I personally know of one friend who had a dealer car sent to an independent for a PPI a few months back.

5. hollywoodgarbage

Dec 5, 2008
    clark, thats a good idea, what specific questions should I ask about besides
    1. brake
    2. inspection for prior damage
    3. tire wear
    4. service up to ate

I am trying to buy a 458 from an independent but the authorized Ferrari dealers are no longer doing PPI because of all the downside.

Any other pearls of wisdom?

6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I recently bought an '11 458 Italia and my local dealer did a PPI for me.

7. hollywoodgarbage

Dec 5, 2008
    that's strange, both Authorized dealers I spoke with said I would have to purchase the car and then they would do a "safety inspection" but NOT a PPI

8. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    I'd guess (and not only because of your user name) your experiencing this in California. Way back when I bought my first 360 I had this issue. No CA dealer would do a PPI even though I offered them the known needed work to do before the car was shipped to me. Liability was the sited reason why. Elsewhere, no issues with dealers doing a PPI or having an independent inspect a dealer inventoried car

9. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    Been out of town and away from the computer.

All of the points that you are wanting answers for are already going to be addressed with an "oil change " visit .... with exception to " prior damage " Each of those points are things that they will look for anyways IMO

Regarding the prior damage, short of having them put in writing that there is no known prior damage to the car, you should maybe go see the car in person? But then you have to ask yourself, do you know what you're looking for? Maybe put a plea out for someone in the general vicinity of the selling dealer, maybe a fellow ferrari chat member can go put eyes on it

It's a Catch-22

Good luck in your purchase

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The alternative is to really learn about what you are buying and do it yourself. There are plenty of local cars.

11. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Did you try Bill Rhode service manager at FLA in Van Nuys? He seems to be a pretty good guy and the garage on Hayvenhurst is where they do all the work on the race cars. That said they always seem pretty busy when ever I go there so may not want that kind of work?

FBH seems to be a bit more standoffish even though they are owned by the same group. Auto Galllery in Woodland Hills used to be a Fcar dealership (before they lost the dealership) but still service many Fcars. Also try an independent Calabasas Luxury Motors which has a Fcar service tech. Just a couple thoughts.

I am sure that being in CA is a large part of the problem since it is such a litigious state.

12. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM

Just out of curiosity what dealers have you tried? I had a PPI and service done before I sold my last car by the Dallas dealer.

13. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Ferrari of New England was willing to do a PPI for someone who was interested in my California.

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #14 Melvok, May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree with Dave ...

A PPI is an official Ferrari Approved product and gives a document. They cannot refuse to do it, it is one of the tasks which the factory wants them to perform.

The oem F dealer is the only one that can do this F PPI. In EU it costs about € 400.

I posted about this many times ... have you ever seen that official document ? A copy goes into the F system because it is an official document.

So do ask them for it whenever you sell your car or before buying a car. Nothing less.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I recently tried to get a PPI done on a CA car that had been serviced by Ferrari of Beverly Hills. I contacted them and asked them to conduct a PPI on a car for me and they told me they no do PPI's. So unless they have changed something since March of this year then I can definitely say Ferrari of Beverly Hills will not do a PPI even on a car that they regularly serviced.

16. hollywoodgarbage

Dec 5, 2008
    I ve talked to a couple of dealerships, Cali and Chicago and none of them will do a PPI.
    Regardless, I just bought the best car for me which is a new McLaren 570s.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Interesting, over here in Europe they do PPI's.

Ask your dealer for a mail stating they don't do it. :D