458 Spider vs 488 Spider | FerrariChat

458 Spider vs 488 Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Parshooter, May 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parshooter

Parshooter Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    Now that the 488 Spider is out there in some number I would love to hear from other members on their impressions of the two cars and whether the trade up from 458 to 488 spider is worthwhile and worth taking the hit!

2. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Hmmm hard one, if you like NA and sound, definitely the 458.

3. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I have a wonderful 458 Spider with a 488 Spider on order. I've heard the chassis in the 488 Spider is stiffer, which would be a meaningful improvement. In any event, I should know sometime in September whether it was a good move.

4. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I had 458 Spider followed by 488 coupe now 488 Spider. The 488 is better in every way but redline and sound, although I think 488 sounds really good especially top down. Chassis flex is greatly improved in 488 Spider and suspension is identical to coupe, on 458 the spider was softened compared to coupe and exhaust was quieter. As you'd expect 488 is significantly faster with tremendous torque. Roof up there is no way to tell if your in a coupe or Spider roof down there is still a little cowl shake on rough roads but not nearly like the 458 Spider. to me it was definitely worth it I absolutely love my 488.

5. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    Here is what I posted in another thread 458 vs 488.........

I thought I would share my thoughts on driving the Ferrari 458 and 488 on the track. I went out to Exotic racing in Las Vegas because I wanted to add another Exotic to my garage I have a Scuderia and have absolutely loved the performance, sound, and overall emotion it delivers to the pilot. With my next exotic, I was looking for something that was a bit more comfortable with more performance than the Scuderia. I wanted something with some newer attractive exotic styling. If possible i wanted something that would retain or go up in value like the Scud. My choices where between the Ferrari 458, the 488 and the Lamborghini Adventador.

When I arrived at the track I was 90% sure I was going to buy the Adventador. By the end of day, I had decided on something completely different. To keep the story short and not get to much into why not the Adventador, Ill just say the Adventador sucks on a track and was not a real blast to drive. Yes it looks bad azz and sounds insane, If I where single, I would have one in the garage. Other than looking and sounding good, it is not the drivers car. So the real choice for me was between these two sweet F Cars.

I jumped into the 458 and began laying down some laps. I was really impressed with the performance increase of the 458 over the Scuderia. It was quite a bit faster and was much more comfortable. The suspension and steering was very smooth. The double clutch made the shifting much smoother, and was still pretty dang fast. The 9000 RPM sure is a blast to get up to as you go through the gears. The exhaust and sound of the 458 is quite pleasing to the senses. Its not the Indy car sound of the Scuderia, but it sure sounds Damnnnnn Good. I will mention, this 458 had straight pipes which increased the sound quite a bit over stock. All in all, the 458 was a blast to drive and a big improvement over the Scuderia in performance and comfort, if those two can even go in the same sentence hehehe. Seriously, it was so fun, I could have ended my day there and would have been satisfied. As far as track time, I laid down a fast lap of 57:43

I then hopped into the 488. I have a Cayanne Turbo S and I really hate the Turbo Lag of that thing. I did not know what to expect from the turbos of the 488, but I was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't lag to much. I pulled onto the straight and it took all of a few seconds before I started laughing and grinning ear to ear. Gosh dang those turbos where awesome, When that 488 spooled up it pulled like a raped ape. I found myself getting up to the rev limiter very fast. There is so much torque from this motor that you can almost go around the track in 1 gear lol. You will see in the video, that I am having so much fun in the car. I was driving VERY cautiously and held back quite a bit. I didnt want to loop the car around my first time out so I was a little smoother. You notice that I went full out in the 458 and was very comfortable in it as it felt a bit like the Scuderia in the way if gave feedback through the steering wheel and through the sound. But this 488 was something new and different from what I was use to. Ive heard people talk about how cars feel like they drive themselves. I totally get what they mean now. The 488 is so easy to drive. Just look and steer where you want to go and it just tracks and follows. It never felt like it was getting close to breaking loose, it just gripped and pulled with enormous power. It was so so fun to drive, the sound of it was just awesome I know people dont like the sound, but it sounds pretty damn good to me. This car was by far leaps ahead of the others in overall performance. I had immediately fallen in love with the 488. I think you can tell from the video that I thoroughly enjoyed the 488 over anything else. As far as track performance goes, even with my timid driving, I was almost 3 seconds faster in the 488 with a fast lap of 55:06

I was so impressed that I went right back home and ordered a 488 Spider from Newport Ferrari. 5 months later, that bad boy arrived and I have not had a second thought of any other car.

I had wandered what the 488 would feel like if I where not to hold back and be as timid on a track. I have since taken the 488 on another track (Thermal in So Cal), and got a chance to drive it like I stole it. No matter how hard I pushed it, it just kept asking for more. This car is an absolute beast on the track. The stock exhaust sounds freakin awesome and I just cant get over the sweet sounds of the turbos. I dont care how loud the 458 is, it will never have the turbine howl of the 488's blowers. For me, thats the icing on the cake with the 488. The torque sensation pressing you into the seat as you bang through the gears and the sweet sound of those turbos spooling is music to my ears. In the spider, you can roll the rear window down and the orchestra of the exhaust and turbos is right next to your ears for one heck of an immersed driving experience.

I thought that when I want to hear the high pitch of an Indy car sounding Ferrari, that I will just take the Scud out. I can honestly say that the Scud is collecting dust and I have no desire to drive it over the 488. I took the 488 out at 3 am the other night to run up to my office. I didnt really need to go but I couldnt ressit the thought of an open freeway at 3am. Im not sure what top speed is, but I can tell you the 488 Spider will do at least 183 :) I look forward to getting into this car all the time. Its not because it just a new bad azz car. It is because the 488 delivers so many different emotions when your behind the wheel. The Scud sounds amazing as does the 458. But sound alone can not make up for all the other aspects the 488 surpasses them in. Before my 488 Spider arrived, I thought I would always keep the Scud as a collectors piece and it was my first Ferrari. After having my 488 for a couple weeks, I am already thinking of just selling the Scud as I just dont have any desire to drive it over the 488. If I want to feel the rush and experience of an exotic, my go to is the 488 and I dont see that changing anytime soon. While at the Ferrari showroom, I mentioned how quite a few just dont seem to like the 488. My dealer told me, the majority of those that "Dont Like" the 488, simply have not gotten the chance to drive or own one. I do not know how accurate that statement is. For me, the 488 ticks all the boxes and delivers one hell of a good time :) I would urge anyone looking at there next Exotic purchase to go take a 488 for a spin. Get in one, put your foot down, and let me know if it puts the same smile on your face as it did on mine :)

Here is VIDEO of me driving the 458 and 488 on track

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqEyYrMTAPs[/ame]

Here is VIDEO of my initial thought of the 458 VS 488 VS Adventador

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGX0_rPUvKE&t[/ame][/QUOTE]

johnep likes this.
  6. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
  7. shockw4we

shockw4we Rookie

Dec 18, 2015
    Wow this sounds much better than the standard!

8. shockw4we

shockw4we Rookie

Dec 18, 2015
    I'll take 458 Italia/Spider any day. Designed by pininfarina, N/A engine and when I look at it it has this ferrari thing. 488 has too many exposed aerodynamics and sounds like my vacuum cleaner and doesn't drive like 458 either.

9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    as far as I've understood the hard top retractable on the 458 and 488 Spider offers no additional structural rigidity at all when in place. cowl shake should be evident with roof up or down. strange you only notice it down.

10. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Sounds like it has laryngitis, I still prefer NA

11. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    +1 458 sound by far

12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    After test driving the 488 for an hour, I knew it was the one for me! It simply checks all the boxes.

13. littlewiz

littlewiz Karting

Apr 9, 2004
    Just took delivery of my 488 Spider this week and traded in my 458 Spider. Ride, Acceleration, overall performance is way superior! Makes plenty of throaty noise. The torque is endless. The updated suspension control while cornering is beyond. I'm thrilled!

[/QUOTE]

14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Isn't it funny that those that actually have drive a 488 rave about it and those that complain have likely never behind its wheel.

15. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Moving to a 488 spider is as different as apples to oranges but the thrill is very much still there. The 488 is a high revving engine with tons of torque and a set of twin turbos that never lets up. It is 200 pounds lighter then my 599 GTO which i have owned for the last 6 years and can be thrown around a track with complete confidence and in my opinion looks absolutely gorgeous especially when she is topless. Sometimes i think she doesn't get enough respect on the street because she looks so damn pretty. But drop a gear and plant your foot on the accelerator and she will feed most other cars their lunch especially on the twisty's and she has a light feel that makes you want to get behind the wheel. Granted it will never have the sound of an NA engine especially a 12 because it is a turbo......But just because its different doesn't mean it doesn't have its own song. Every morning I look out the window hoping the sun comes out so I can drop the roof and take her for a spin. The 488 really has 2 personalities. On one hand it can be a very serious track animal and at the same time be extremely playful, fun and comfortable to drive. To find all of that in one Ferrari is an exceptional achievement.

16. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Just be happy with what serves you - whether you have a 458 or a 488 if it serves you well then that is an accomplishment - I don't see the comparison. One is the successor of the other and end of story.

If you traded your 458 for the 488 spider then I suggest don't look back or vice versa.

Like one of the posts said that it's apples and oranges.

17. anishka

anishka Karting

Dec 30, 2013
    U. P., Michigan
    Full Name:
    Larry
    +1 I own an F430 Coupe and am currently on the hunt for either a 458 spider or a 488 spider. I have driven them both on several occasions and have come to the conclusion that they both have their own unique charms. I WANT both. They each have a mystique that is quite compelling to me.

Pax,
    Larry

18. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #18 jim g, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    I can tell you for sure there is a difference, top up rigidity is superior. The roof definitely does something because I never notice any shake closed, also 488 Spider has been stiffened compared to 458 Spider.

19. Parshooter

Parshooter Rookie

Jun 18, 2015
    I want to thank everyone for their responses! I love my 458 Spider and will probably stay with it.. Although tomorrow will give me a chance to go back to wanting to trade... Such problems. just fortunate to be able to drive whatever I want.
    Again I appreciate the candor.

20. 458italia2014

458italia2014 Formula 3

Aug 3, 2013
  21. dochemi

dochemi Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Newport Beach CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Faster than the speciale,30% better in every way including sound than 458 spider.! Those who lament about the na engine have simply not driven the 488 spider on the street and track. Period.

22. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If only it was that simple. If one buys a Ferrari, one wants thrills. Not everyone wants more speed or thinks it's even necessary. There's more, so much more to a Ferrari, any Ferrari, than more torque or more turbos than its predecessor. Like apraising wine: there's so much more to a wine connoisseur than to see who can get drunk the fastest with any given wine.

Thrills don't invariably and automatically mean more speed. A thrilling machine like a Ferrari is supposed to be a combination of factors. An holistic experience with a built-in x-factor. Somewhat complex to put into words. Certainly not as easy, direct or clean as you have put it.

Those of us who like the 488 and are willing and able to recognize its merits but love and adore the 458 to the point of not missing/wanting a 488, don't think making a better car is just/only a matter of 10kph extra top speed or 0.4 better time from 0-60.

Again, like wine: quality, thrills and a sensorial experience don't come at the expense of the latest launch just because it may be cooler and trendier, nor the latest launch on earth can erase/diminish a past masterpiece.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    To each his own. There's a first time for everything I guess, and that's the first time I've ever seen someone prefer the sound of a 488 over the 458:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-fLy5jf0As&list=PLrWYTtwA3cQ7H19LWhB0GCkN2hHnMjNOQ&index=18

Beat that.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

QueueCumber likes this.
  24. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That aftermarket setup on the 488 simply trashes it. I was on a group meet following a 458 Spyder the whole time, and although the sound is nice, I never felt that I was lusting after it. The 488 is deeper and more throaty, with the 458 being more high pitched. To each their own, but I never felt that my 488 was inadequate, especially at the low end.

Performance level of 488 is head and shoulders above the 458. 458 owners were baffled how I managed to get a 488 allocation before them, that should also tell you something...

25. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    I agree it's faster, but it's like the California T, and I don't even wanna go there. At the end it's still a turbo. Just not my cup of tea.