Ferrari Warranty Speciale | FerrariChat

Ferrari Warranty Speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Epicracing123, May 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Epicracing123

Epicracing123 Rookie

Mar 17, 2015
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Chris Knattongcome
    Hey Guys,
    So I have a 2014 Speciale, my warranty runs out at the end of June.
    I still have my 7 year service warranty but was wondering if I should extend my Ferrari Warranty (Which Covers Pretty Much Anything That Breaks).

It will Cost me $10,600 with Tax for only 2 Years! What should I do!!!
    I barely drive the car as is and it only has Exactly 899miles. But When I do drive it I drive it pretty hard.

Has anyone ever encountered a problem with their Speciale that will cost more than $10,000 to repair? The only Parts that I can think of that would cost that much would be the Engine, Diff, or transmission.

Thanks for your time guys!

2. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    That's the problem with putting so few miles on the car. You have no idea if there is a problem lurking that has not yet manifested itself. That car is meant to be driven. Then and only then would you know if there is an inherent issue that needs to be addressed. If there is it would have been repaired under the original warranty with no further need to worry or guess.

3. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Get the 2 year full warranty extension and self insure after that.

4. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Be leary of taking advice from someone who doesn't know how to spell "rocketman" :))

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Nice. :D

Is the warranty transferrable? Do you plan on keeping the car long term?

$10k seems reasonable to me considering the original price (and current values) for Speciale's. I'd do it personally...and then I'd drive the piss out of it as much as possible to get my moneys worth. :)

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    If you are afraid (but of what??) do it, otherwise save the K$ 10 ! Put it aside on the bank and thank me in two years :D

7. GRZEPAPA

GRZEPAPA Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    I did this extension on my 2012 458 Spider. For me it was insurance. It has 24,000kms and just recently had an issue with it not starting. It has been at the shop for a week. Haven't seen the total cost yet but I am sure the extra warranty is going to help.
    My speciale has 9956 kms and have had an issue with the info-tainment system from day one. They have tried 3 updates to the system with no success. Trying again. Don't know what that is costing. Also had to replace the battery.
    If you can afford it I would suggest doing it. With so few miles I believe there is more chance of something going wrong than not because it is not run enough.

8. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I've had pretty good luck with all the Ferraris I've owned over the past 17 years, so I'm going to self insure when the warranty runs out on my Speciale.

9. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    +1

10. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN

My 458 had a headlight go out (same as the one on your car I am sure), and it was $5500 parts only. Before it was all said and done with transport/headlight and oil change I was around 10k

11. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Does the extended warranty cover things like headlights?

12. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Not sure, I didn't have a warranty. The car was a 11.

13. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I'm sure a lot of guys know the answer, but my guess is an extended warranty only covers the drive train??

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If its an extension of the original full warrantee than I think it would be covered as if new. Emphasis on 'think'. Pretty sure next to a complete failure of a drivetrain component is all that's covered on the other warrantee. Emphasis on 'pretty'.

15. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I didn't buy it and put 10k in my pocket. Would you pay 10k to insure yourself against 20k? I wouldn't. I think insurance is for catastrophic losses.

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wouldn't. You don't even drive the car.

17. Epicracing123

Epicracing123 Rookie

Mar 17, 2015
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Chris Knattongcome
    Yes they actually replaced every part that you want them to(if broken or super worn out)… I just took it in and replaced a couple plastic bits, and did a re-check to see if I needed to replace anything else before my warranty runs out...

And by the way I just purchased the car that's why it had low miles!!!! Lol

18. tryptomine

tryptomine Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    France
    By the way you have Capristo exhaust cats ? How you can still have the Ferrari warranty ?
    My dealer told me If I am going to install cats I will loose all warranty ! Even lowering the car

19. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #19 720, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    This is a controversial topic for sure. It seems to come down to individual dealerships, and their attitude about various types of "modifications". My personal experience with Ferrari dealers in California and Utah has been positive regarding what most people would agree are "harmless modifications" such as changing the OEM silencers and replacing OEM catalytic converters with high flow cats. Although I had a independent Ferrari mechanic install my Capristo cats, one of the Ferrari dealers that I work with gave me a cost estimate to install the cats :)

If your dealer is more strict about mods, then the easiest thing might be to postpone modifications until the warranty has expired...three years I believe.

BTW, I also had my Speciale lowered 20mm front and back along with a proper alignment by an independent Ferrari shop that manages Ferrari Challenge cars for several dealerships. I was very comfortable having them work on my Speciale). And my dealer has never complained a bit.

BTW, can I ask what your avatar is? Something about biology or mushrooms? Maybe it's a French thing :)

20. tryptomine

tryptomine Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    France
    It's a monkey ;)

21. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    LOL. Ok. It's such an unusual avatar, there must be a story behind it.