458 Spider prices | FerrariChat

458 Spider prices

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by vjd3, May 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Friend of mine is looking to trade his F430 Spider (F1) for a black metallic 2014 458 Spider, just over 1000 miles, nicely equipped ($308k sticker). Carbon driver zone LEDs, Daytonas, electric seats, shields, nav, parking camera, 20" forged, cruise.

Still under warranty till August. At a Ferrari dealer. They are offering it for $270k ... any opinions on what a reasonable price for the car is? It's bounced from a couple of dealers to this one but appears to be a one-owner car and pretty much shows as new.

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    One other thing about the car ... an ad for the car at one Midwest dealer -- 700 miles -- shows silver rims, the ad at the next Midwest dealer -- 1000 miles -- has darker gray rims (same style) which are on the car now. Things that make you go hmmmm.

3. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi

Same situation as my car with the wheels. Original sticker had painted silver specified, but the car had diamond cut wheels when I bought it. I wouldn't make much of it since they're both factory options. More than likely the first owner just swapped them out post-purchase. I'm actually swapping mine back to silver and will probably sell the diamond cut wheels.

As for the price of the car, you're paying a premium for the extremely low mileage, rather than benefitting from a non-linear depreciation curve with the first 6-10k miles. If the car is actually going to be driven, as opposed to a showpiece garage queen, finding one with more miles will save tens of thousands on the price. Otherwise you're the one who eats the depreciation.

Ferraris after the 430 aren't like the Ferraris of old. There are already 458s out there with over a hundred thousand miles with no major work needed aside from standard maintenance. It depends what's important to you, but for me I wouldn't value that low mileage enough to be the one eating $3-4/mile in depreciation. That number dramatically changes as you head towards 10k and beyond, with zero tangible real world wear.

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    $270K seems way too high. Most options aren't worth much come resale. Just look on ebay and cars.com to see comparable cars and assume selling price is $10K less than asking. Spiders should be in $225K range all day. Paying for low miles and last MY is just asking to eat depreciation.

5. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Where can i get a nicely specced spider under 10,000 miles for $225k? Have some friends that would be interested. I might even trade in my italia if it's nicely specced.

6. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have a 2013 Spyder with 10,500 miles, red on tan.. window was $335k..

7. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    eBay or cars.com probably. Why do miles matter? Would you rather eat the depreciation than them?

8. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    #8 Jackp6, May 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maybe multi owner and driven hard? Be careful you get what you pay for. In my state of Texas they are closer to $250-270k for a single owner car, clean car. Some are closer to $280-90k which I think is too much, but again Ferrari certified might be also about 10% premium
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Redrrari

Redrrari Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Florida
    $270k seems high and like others have said why buy low mileage unless you will not drive it. I will add the newer model years come with the warranty and service so you will pay a premium for that. I bought my 2013 six mos ago with 9500 miles and everything has been great - hope I don't jinx myself.

I don't know where you get nice spiders for $225k all day long.

In the end you need to buy what is best for you and enjoy the journey.

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It becomes a hard driven, multi-owner car the second you buy it though, so if that's the cause of depreciation, you'd just depreciated it yourself by buying it.

11. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    I just feel more comfortable buying a car under 10,000 miles. Just preference. When i bought my 430 spider it had 6,000. Now it has 11,000. My italia had 7,000 now it has 12,000+. Of course it depreciated Captain obvious.

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, the savings on a higher mileage car will not only way more than offset any added maintenance/services cost you might incur, but a higher mileage car is more likely to have been shaken down, so to say. Too low of mileage means stuff that will go wrong hasn't had much of a chance to go wrong.

Just my two cents though. I'm sure you'll find a nice car regardless.

13. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    There are drivers that take care of their ferraris and drivers that abuse them. And it's a rule of chance, the more drivers the more likely more chance of abusers, and the more miles on the clock the more likely things might be not just right with a car. I don't want to buy someone else's problems. I got mine with 800 miles on the clock that was owned by a 75 year old gentleman that traded it back to Ferrari dealership for a V12 so the car was basically new. I know what I was getting an did not mind paying a premium. I am planning on keeping mine for a while.

14. Z356

Z356 Rookie

Mar 8, 2017
    #14 Z356, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Been tracking 458 prices for several months. For some reason
    Ferrari of Palm Beach (FL) had a few low mileage, one-owner,
    late 2014 & 2015 Spiders at 'reasonable' prices. For example:

Pre-Owned Ferrari | Ferrari Dealer near Boca Raton, FL

Saludos,
    Eduardo
    Scottsdale

15. Jlee504

Jlee504 Karting

Apr 8, 2017
    i've been searching for a 458 the last month and there is a price adjustment going on now, as usual some dealers are ahead of the curve and some are behind. Well priced ones like the one above is moving and other 2014s Spiders in the 250K range are sitting.

I think 2013 Italias are around $200K and 2014s are around $210-215K. It would seem.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Fwiw , I tried to cut a deal on a 14 spider with mine in trade 2012 spider 17k miles loaded 335 sticker. The F dealer offers me 190. I passed. I'll look for a better deal. They did jerk me around for 3 days and sold the car to someone else.