An expensive peace of mind | FerrariChat

An expensive peace of mind

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AlfistaPortoghese, May 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hello everyone,

Dealer called me to check my 458 brakes with me present. To keep a long story short, I was told I need 4 new discs and brake pads. Yes, that magical 5 digit invoice an owner gets from time to time.

My discs aren't necessarily worn, nor badly worn. A normal carbon-ceramic disc should have a smooth surface, like lets say a sheet of paper. Mine feel like sandpaper. If you took a cotton ball and scrubbed it against a normal disc, it would go through the surface with ease, as if cleaning glass. In mine, it gets stuck. Disc surface is super abrasive and it's far worse in the front. If I just change brake pads, they'll be gone in no time. Seems disc is contaminated (how and why, don't know), not necessarily worn, but definately compromised.

Can severe heat alone/track time do that? Has anyone else experienced this, namely owners who track their cars?

I'll end up replacing the discs for peace of mind. But I don't like the principle involved. And more important than that, I'd like to ask if someone has faced the same problem: car is stopping properly, no squeals, no vibrations, no board computer errors or warnings. Disc surface nackered and in need of replacement. Excessive heat causes that?

Dealer was extremely professional and showed me what a new carbon-ceramic disc should feel like, and then compared it to mine. They aren't trying to rip me off and looking on the bright side, I'll have a full new set of brakes that will last almost a lifetime under my driving style. But I severely suspect the official Ferrari dealer that sold me the car in Germany knew about this, and kept quiet. I've driven 1.100km since buying the car and I know I couldn't have done that to the brakes even if I tried.

I could post a picture, but visually there isn't much to it, you'd have to touch and feel the difference. Ferrari Power warranties don't cover wear and tear items, nor does the Ferrari Approved warranty. Mine's an 11 with 34.000km. I have all maintenance stamps and more importantly, all maintenance invoices since day 1 of the car. Only routine maintenance performed in a timely fashion, no hint of problems nor replacements.

P.S.: If I'm not mistaken, this kind of job on a 488 is considerably more expensive than in the 458.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john

Or as the service manager once told me when they handed me the bill for the engine out service on my 355: " John, that's one of the joys of owning a Ferrari! " :eek:

3. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Sorry to hear this. I personally don't know anyone with that experience.

4. SterlingE55

SterlingE55 Rookie

May 14, 2017
    Contaminated by a chemical brake/wheel cleaner?

5. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Any new carbon ceramic rotor will look/feel different when compared to a used one. Inspect a couple other used cars will similar rotors that have some miles on them before you conclude they are bad. Of course, I'm assuming you didn't have any complaints before the dealer made the recommendation.

6. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
  7. cool flash

cool flash Karting

Jun 18, 2016
    #7 cool flash, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Have you contacted Gohm?

I would argue for material defect (rotors) and against wear and tear. The rotors certainly don't show usual wear pattern!

In Germany you also have the "gesetzliche Gewährleistung". This means that the dealer is liable for defects for 6 months after you bought the car. If you need more info let me know.

Besides you hardly drove the car.

Regards,

CF

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    When I had to replace the discs on the 599 I had a maintenance message IIRC, and I had driven some kms on track. So I never had this experience.

Regarding overheating, I was told that the drills need to be cleaned (implying removing the discs and putting them back) after intensive driving; maybe if it's not done the discs will wear differently.

9. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    If it's not a defect, then in theory wouldn't those of us with similar mileage and driving style be facing the problem?? I'm also surprised they can't explain what caused it (which is usually a sign of normal wear and tear, which brings me back to my first question).

Jim

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wow. This is very unusual. They are made for racing and braking hard. I heard there is a company in the UK that can resurface CMM rotors at a fraction of new. I know some guys did it with their 430's. I would have to assume it can be done on a 458 as well.

11. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Try SICOM Brakes in Germany they should be able to resurface them for you.

http://sicom-brakes.de/

Regards

Michael

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    As someone else said, I'd go rub some cotton on another high mileage 458 and see what happens. CCB should last the life of the car, or at least a lot longer than yours did. I could see one rotor being contaminated and perhaps damaged by something, but all 4?

If you paid already, oh well, but seems sketchy.

13. LCW

LCW Karting

Dec 29, 2016
    South Florida
    Just curious, how was it diagnosed?

14. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Not sure exactly what parameters the computer uses to determine brake wear on ceramics, but I do know it is possible to wear them to the point of replacement with frequent and hard track use. Of the 34K kilometers how may were on track? A fast driver on a track such as Monza, for instance, will cause wear at 10 times the rate of brisk street driving, maybe more.

Agree with the advice of getting an official reading from the computer - you cannot discern wear from visual inspection on these carbon ceramics.

Best.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Nuno,

I went out to the 458 right now, my observations on the '12 car with K36Kms:

Back perfectly flat, front as you described yours.

My 7-years warranty was 4 weeks ago and my dealer said the brakes were in perfect condition.

If I take a cloth, on the back rotors it slides over the surface, in front it hooks/tears everywhere on the surface (or how that is said in English)

So my advice: DO NOTHING !

16. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I agree. Highly unusual probability. I've asked the dealer to put in writing the need to replace 4 discs and pads. Waiting for their reply. Will keep you guys posted.

Exactly so, Jim. I'll have a go and ask the dealer not only to put in writing their opinion that all discs and brakes should be replaced, but also a diagnosis on how much life is still in there.

Good point. Speaking of which: does the 458 give out a software/warning light/maintenance message when discs and/or brakes are in need of replacement?

Diagnose was by touch and feel. According to their own words, a disc isn't supposed to feel like sandpaper at the surface and that they hadn't seen that on a 458 and don't know what may have caused it. They aren't inclined to have a go at cleaning the surface, because they're afraid that it may do more harm than good.

They also said it had to be a 4 discs and pads full replacement. They said that if disc surface is very rough, it'll eat a new set of pads in no time. I maintain it's strange, because the car stops great, doesn't vibrate under braking at all and doesn't squeak. If this is as serious as they keep telling me, I would expect to have some kind of symptom behind the wheel.

Excellent advice. They didn't seem very inclined to give me a detailed and full report, but I guess they'll just have to if I'm being asked to part ways with pratically 20k USD.

Thank you all for your input. I'll keep you guys posted and if anyone can shed more light into this matter, can please check his discs' surface and/or offer suggestions, I'm all ears.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #17 AlfistaPortoghese, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mel,

To learn that an identical problem to mine was considered normal by another dealer is reassuring. Why my dealer would have the exact opposite attitude is puzzling. Between my dealer and your dealer, only one of them can be right. I hope it's yours! :D

I really have to say thank you Mel, for taking the time to check your own discs and helping me. That feedback is extremely useful.

For what it's worth, and after much writing to you about it and how the surface feels, here's how the surface looks like.

Kind regards,

Nuno.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine look similar. During my PPI at a Ferrari dealer I asked specifically about the rotors and was told they all look like that after some normal use, not to worry. If you read the Ferrari service manual it'll say to replace them, but it's not necessary.

Even though the surface looks rough it's actually has much more flat areas than delamination areas. If you scrub a pad over the rotor you'll probably get very similar resistance (coefficient of friction) to a new rotor. If it's as bad as they say you'd see much higher resistance as the rotor cuts into the pad. You'd also probably see tons of brake dust all over your wheels!

If you need to replace the rotors I'd look at using corvette CC rotors. I believe they're practically identical and much much cheaper.

19. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Any part numbers? I have re-rotored many Brembo brakes, and all that is required is a quarter-inch drive torque wrench to tighten to bobbins at 5 FT-LB of torque. If and when it is time to replace the rotors on my Italia, the above option has appeal! My hesitation are the words "practically identical" which should be clarified.

20. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've not done an exact part number comparison. What I know is when looking for aftermarket pads most companies use the same part numbers for both 458 and the corvette (with the CCB option). I figured if the pads are the same the rotors should be very similar. In fact, I believe the front rotors are within a couple mm in diameter (half that in radius) and the same in width. They both have a 10 bolt hat and look almost identical. I'm not sure of the bolt circle radius but both are made by Brembo.

I'm sure both Ferrari and brembo (and any other OEM using brembo products) try to spec out parts that already exist saving both companies lots of engineering and non recurring costs. So it's not surprising that several companies probably share the same components, although they'll put their own part number on each.

Anyway, if money was an issue and I was in need I'd certainly do more research on this subject.

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #21 RayJohns, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    +1

Have them weigh the rotors and compare the weight to the gram weight noted on the rotors themselves; that's usually an accurate indication of wear. Also you can attach the car to the computer and it will print out some usage estimates as a percentage of wear for the front and back rotors.

By the way, one thing which can mess up rotors is running the wrong pad compound. That's okay with cast iron rotors, but not CCM rotors. When I first purchased my 458, I wanted to buy a spare set of brake pads; I thought maybe I'D try a race compound, so I called and spoke w/ Brembo. They were very tight lipped regarding giving out any information, since these are Ferrari parts. However, they did mention that using the wrong compound pads could damage your rotors (basically they said the rotor and pad compound has to match and be compatible, so you can't really just start experimenting with all sorts of different pads).

Ray

22. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I just went down stairs and checked my car - 2013 with 11,000 miles. Rotors are sort of a combination of smooth and rough. According to the photos in the service manual, they are probably suspect. However, I was just at the dealer for service and posed this very question to their senior tech (some one very knowledgeable about Ferraris). He told me they go more by rotor weight than appearance. He also showed me the print out for my car and based on the algorithm used, the fronts were only showing 9% wear.

My gut feeling would be to replace the pads, bed them in properly and then see how long they last. If they wear out prematurely, then that might be cause for alarm. Otherwise, as long as the car stops, I think I'd take my chances and just keep a close eye on the rotors.

Brand new rotors are very smooth, but I'm not sure how long they stay that way. When I bought my car, my rotors looked just as they do now and the car only had about 5800 miles on it.

Go watch how these rotors are made on YouTube and get some rest :)

Ray

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    So friend Nuno: do not replace these fine rotors is the average advise here !

24. 1marko

1marko Rookie

Apr 27, 2016
    Talking of brakes, I just had my speciale serviced,,report shows green throughout, no problems, brakes I am told at 7% used,,,my issue is brake squeal, does any body else suffer from this, I have this problem after 10 miles of driving then when and if I need to break the noises is somewhat deafening and embarrassing, I will speak to the engineer on Tuesday when I collect the car but any advice would be greatly appreciated,,

25. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #25 metaldriver, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Mine squeal as well until they come up to temperature.

If you need to?

It is BRAKE not BREAK.