My 458 Sounds Louder | FerrariChat

My 458 Sounds Louder

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Pocty, Jun 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Hello Guys
    This is my first post so please be gentle on me.

I have a Black 2010 458 that still has the original ecu settings on, so it pops and bangs and sounds amazing.

My mileage is now approaching 15k but after a European trip which included a few laps of the Nurburgring I've noticed that my car sounds louder and different in Sports mode.

In fact in Sports mode theres no difference to Race mode it now sounds much more bassier and low pitched at idle speed.

My first thoughts are that the flaps are stuck open...can this even happen and is so is it an easy fix.

The car runs fine and I dont have any warning signs on the dash.

P.S I must get round top posting some pictures of the car.

Thanks
    Pocty

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Flaps stuck open ? Perfect. I have mine pinned open and love it.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Can you see wheter the middle pipe gives fumes when ideling ?

4. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    From my experience, the car would sound worse (more bass and less screaming) because of lower octane or bad quality fuel, you just drove the car after long hibernate, or the battery charge is very low.

5. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Thanks for the quick answers guys.

I'll check the middle pipe but it can't be bad fuel as the fuel around the Nurburgring is of highest quality.

If it is the flap stuck open somehow, how do I get it back to normal. Without ruining the original 2010 ecu set up.

Thank You
    Pocty

6. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    had mine flap stuck open and loved it :)
    it was because a faulty flap.
    if you put it in wet mode and it is still loud as in race and sport on low revs, then you have a flap-error.
    A easy fix at the dealer

7. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Thanks Ash
    Just what I was looking for. I love this place. :)

Cheers
    Pocty

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Bad fuel: do not fuel the Octane Shell 100; according the Owners Manual we should only use 95 !

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Are you sure on that? Why would they recommend to use the WORST fuel in EU? Surely they meant ''avoid using 95''?

97-99 is available most places and is what I'd put in. 100-102 is nice but pretty damn pointless unless you're chasing tenths...and at that it's still a roadcar so not exactly important.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #10 Melvok, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes Bas, it is very obvious in the Owners Manual described.The ECU's are simply programmed for Ron 95.

We have seen people getting mis-fires with Premium 100 fuel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F485 likes this.
  11. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    What you are probably hearing is backfires and run-ons from gasoline igniting in the exhaust. It can actually sound pretty good, but Ferrari does not want it to occur because it gives rise to warranty claims for damage to the exhaust switchover valve.

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Had the dealer disconnect the vacuum lines. Baffles stay open all the time. Heaven.

If l get tired of it, the lines can be reconnected. Can't imagine ever doing that. The car sounds great in wet, sport and race modes. I love it.

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Be careful if you bring it to an authorized dealer as they may flash your exhaust ECU and those pops and burbles will be gone forever like those on the post 2011 cars. Mine also has the original unflashed exhaust and I'm just loving it.

14. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Thanks Guys.

So if it is bad fuel, i.e higher octane than recommended, how do I get the car back to normal.

Can I just top up with in the normal 95 Ron and hope it resets back to normal?

Everywhere around the Ring was selling the High Octane 98 up to 105. Gulp.

I really dont want to take the car back to a dealer as they might update my ECU and I'll lose all my pops and bangs.

Cheers
    Pocty

15. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    I couldn't believe it when I first heard it pop and bang pure race car sound. :)

Cheers
    Pocty

16. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Philip,

I believe the ECU can learn and adapt to the octanage of the fuel present in the tank.

The easiest way to get rid of the higher octane fuel, unless backfire is extreme and severe, is let the car reach its fuel reserve (down to the lowest point with which you feel comfortable with) and then top it up with RON 95.

When I bought my 458, I felt tempted to use RON 98 (read in an article once than increases performance on all car with >10:1 compression ratio, and is also safer once it has greater resistance to heat) but once I learned the car is RON 95 ready, I came to the conclusion that it would be most likely pointless to do so.

In my country we have 2 types of RON 95: simple RON 95 and RON 95 premium (apart from RON 98 - the highest octane fuel available here): I NEVER EVER use simple RON 95.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

17. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Thanks Nuno I will try this advice in the next few days and let you know how the car is.

Cheers
    Pocty

18. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I just don't see exhaust flaps being stuck open as a problem. Suggest you drive it forawhile and see if you like the exhaust music.

19. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    A few thoughts on your original question....

1) generally speaking, the exhaust WILL sound louder over time, primarily due to the exhaust (silencer) packing getting worn down. A lot of heavy driving will accelerate it.
    2) if, however, the shift was rapid and substantial, you could have an issue with the muffler/silencer....but it would also sound different/odd
    3) do the test by switching modes with the mannetino - the 458 has a noticeable difference in exhaust note with flaps on/closed; even at low revs, switch wet-sport-race and you should hear the pitch change (at high revs, the flaps open automatically)
    4) if you cannot detect the flaps opening/closing, it may be as simple as a clogged or diconnected vacuum line, a fault in one/both of the actuators or similar

As for using 100 octane fuel,

1) the ECU's will adjust timing based on ignition; it will also back the engine down if it detects detonation or poor combustion to protect the engine, as far as going into limp mode or shutting down.
    2) however, the ECU's will not "advance" any further than the limits set for the fuel; i.e. 100 octane will not give you any more performance, unless the 95 you're getting isn't really 95...
    3) an issue with running 100 (or, race fuel) is that more fuel is burned downstream in the exhaust....which is your pops and crackles and burbles, it's fuel burning on overrrun
    4) unfortunately, the cracks and burbles also result in the cats overheating and failing earlier, same with the exhaust, if used a lot over time (which 1-2 track days with race fuel probably would not cause)

20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Incredibly helpful and insightful as always, Entropy!

This is why I focus on getting the best 95 out there for my 458. And I don't trust non-premium 95 on such an electronically advance car such as ours.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

21. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Hi Guys

Just to say that my car is fine now.

The guys at Supercar Italia in Biggin Hill, Kent changed the vacum pipes and vacum pump and the car feels and sounds like a different car. It's even more pointy and dart like. It was fast before but now its even faster.

Plus I asked them not to update my 2010 458 ecu so I've still got all the pops and bangs.

Thanks for all your advice and info.

Cheers
    Pocty

22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That's great news, Phillip. Glad everything's sorted and you're now back on the road with your gorgeous 458! In terms of fuel, which one have you been using lately?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. Pocty

Pocty Rookie

Mar 5, 2017
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip Octave
    Hi Nuno

From now on I only use 95 ron the car loves it and I've got no complaints.

Cheers
    Pocty