Airbag & AVH Lights On | FerrariChat

Airbag & AVH Lights On

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by glennglenn, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. glennglenn

glennglenn Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    My 2014 458 Spider has been at the dealers for 3 weeks tomorrow, they are struggling to get them off, has anyone else had this problem with theirs?

2. denman4

denman4 Rookie

Sep 23, 2008
    Walterville OR
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Loose electrical connection on passenger seat.

3. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    that's an odd combination of codes....which may explain why the car has been sitting for 3 weeks.

A common airbag light cause IS a loose connector, however there are a few other sources on the airbag itself, and in some cases, in the ECU's (where it detects impact parameters and triggers).

The AVH is essentially a "hill hold"; when the car is on a slope, it automatically applies the e-brake until the car pulls away

The only common thread I can think of that might be causing both are the accelerometers (which detect pitch, yaw, roll) - that would explain why AVH isn't sensing properly AND would also trigger a fault code for the airbags.

Of course, could also be something more systemic (ECU) or annoying (a small crimp/short in the wiring harness if the 2 wires are close to each other).

As an illustration, if you had your 458 on the Daytona banking, and going slowly, the yaw sensor would think the car is in the middle of rolling over and would toss countless alerts including TCS, ABS, et al.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Had this issue on another car not a Ferrari. Might be the same. It was a burnt rear light bulb. Apparently the Airbag circuit was linked to the brake pedal which in turn turns on the brake lights. Since the bulb was burnt there was a different current going thru the system and this was triggering the warning light.

Replaced bulb problem gone :)

5. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    There most likely is an issue with the passenger airbag sensor in the passenger
    seat.

I would have the dealer check all the connections of the passenger airbag sensor
    in the passenger seat and the sensor itself.

For some reason, the AVHS error code seems to come in tandem with the Airbag error code,
    although the AVHS system still seems to work, at least from my experience.

Keep us posted on the findings.

Very best

6. glennglenn

glennglenn Rookie

Jun 4, 2006
    Finally got the car back on Friday (7th). Fault was traced, with the help of a tech at the factory, to the interior light switch; this was changed at the last service due to light being stuck on, it was interfering with the airbag and AVH, a new one was fitted and everything is now fine!!!???

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Glenn,

I'm glad they were able to sort it out, but man... an interior light switch throwing those kind of codes? What are the odds?!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Haha Italian women! As complicated as they are beautiful :)

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Looks like it was as I was saying above. Strange that they took so long to discover it.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    As this fault goes back to a service, was their cure for free or were you charged for the "repair" ?