Am I crazy?.... | FerrariChat

Am I crazy?....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gilly6993, Jul 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So I won't try to make this long winded....Being incredibly lucky to own a lot of great cars over the years....Vette (2), ACR, GTR (2), Scud.....and current '15 GT3 and '13 458 I'm getting the itch....the Porsche is 2+ years and the 458 4+ years.....the 458 being a long time for me....

As many of us do we don't test drive every car before buying.....I can't say I've ever regretted buying any of the above....only car I regret selling is the Scud....

I think for me the biggest factor in ownership is the sound.....and therefore an NA engine....I won't make this a turbo vs NA thread as that's a matter of opinion and could go on forever....we each have our own source of enjoyment.....the scream to 9K RPM's is the number one factor for me in a car.....

So am I crazy for wanting to trade my near perfect 6300 mile 458 for a Lamborghini Performante??....A Lamborghini??....Never owned a Lambo....The sound of the 458 is beautiful and IMO a masterpiece in the looks department.....but as we all know sometimes we just need a change....fortunately my options are pretty good.....720S, 488, GT3RS, or Performante (Speciale is just s little to much $ right now)....The GT3 is great as a sometimes DD and on the track....My main goal is some weekend fun and most of that means window down driving and listening to the exhaust....the turbo engine just lacks a little behind the others....

The Performante I think ticks all the boxes....I know depreciation will be higher that the 488 and GT3RS....

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the entire thing....I think I am close to a pretty solid trade offer on my 458 ($185K) and with taxes gets me $196K which is not too bad....I think it retails and sells in the $210 range, maybe....As most I think private selling this car is a pain....

I don't know....very torn

2. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    There are 3 Lambo Huracans: The original 4-wheel drive that is faster than the 458 and still competitive with the new 488, the slightly less powered 2-wheel drive only version, and the new Performante.

Unless you are an expert driver or have a competition license, there is no point in getting the performante version. That leaves the other 2. The LP-580-2 would give you an experience very close to your 458, in that it is rear-wheel drive only. The LP 610-4 adds a little more power & all-wheel drive, and much better performance; but, a different experience.

All 3 versions have the same fantastic V10 engine.

3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric

I highly doubt Performante owners are expert drivers or hold a competition license.....same for Speciale owners....or any other "race car" variant of most exotics ....they will be used like any other exotic. Weekend fun, cars and coffee, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Don't do it. I once had the same itch and traded my Ferrari for a Lamborghini and hated it. It's basically a loud uncomfortable Audi IMO. I had it a total of 8 months before I traded it back for a 2014 458. Get the 488 - it's amazing. Or if you want something different (non Ferrari) I'd probably get the Mac 720.

5. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    Just sold my 458 and 488. Picking up a Performante . Likely will also get the speciale addition of the 488 when available. You're not crazy. The performante will be a phenomenal car . I've owned a Huracan before too. I think the Huracan was a huge step up from prior lamborghinis. 488 is a better car than the Huracan imo but the performante is going to be possibly the last NA performance variant from Lamborghini and it's on an entirely different level. Everyone I know who has driven it Absolutely loves it. Don't expect too much love from a ferrari forum , however.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Just buy two Audi's and glue them together.

Just kidding. I like the Performante a lot better than the Huracan. IMO, the Huracan is rather bland looking.

7. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I had the Huracan and it was a beast, could only imagine the performante...I think speciale prices are pretty close to msrp, which I think is a good buy. You want sound, what about an f12? I've been looking to find the right deal on one of those.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Q: Am I crazy?....

A: Yes you are imo if you get rid of the 458 for a Lambo ... :D

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I personally feel the 458 is the best, modern, mid engine Ferrari and much better than any other car made.

Yes, you are crazy :)

10. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    No way I'd go back to Lam after owning Ferrari....but these are obviously personal choices.

Jim

11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I love Lambos but I would only add one to the stable not swap one for my Ferrari.

12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Agree...except for the 16M..
    :)

13. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Ignoring all the brand loyalty and financial costs, have you ever been in a Lamborghini?
    The motor is brilliant. That is not in question. Every review of the Performante that I have read has said the car is stellar.
    However the depth of the dash, the rake of the windshield, and the seats completely change the driving experience from a Ferrari.
    You need to see if you like the truncated windshield aperture vs a 458. You need to see if the seats fit you. Lamborghini is legendary for the torture their seats have brought to some body types.
    Best

14. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric

Yes the seats area major concern as my haste in thinking about things I forgot to actually look at the seats. The Lambo sport seats have no rake adjustment. No padding I can deal with and I'm 5'10" 180-185 lbs so I will fit easily. I'll probably do 1500-2000 miles a year no trips. It's definitely a concern

15. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lamborghini CF buckets are among the worst seats ever made and most people don't even get them in their SVs etc. Pretty much everyone hates them.

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric

Yes even the salesman said that. Just found out the electric seats are avail though. Would definitely go with those....

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Very true

18. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Coming from me, I've sold all my Lamborghini's and don't think I'd go back to them. They're not as comfortable, less head room (I'm 6ft 1) and worse depreciation. They look out there and sound wild but that's all they have going for them. Stick to Ferrari...!

19. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Agree, also the VW parts sharing beyond anything that GM, Toyota or even Honda do. Takes the "special" factor out of the car when so many things you touch, steering wheel, buttons, etc., are also found on cars that are 1/10th the price.

20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I had several Lamborghini's (01 Diablo that I am still really sorry I sold it) and had a 360 then a 430. I am glad I had both to choose from. Adding one is the way to go!

21. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't put too much weight into what the naysayers say unless they've owned a Huracan specifically. The Huracan is a game-changer for Lambo and there's no prior Lambo like it.

That said, Randyslovis gave you some really good advice with regards to sitting in one and making sure you are ok with the heavily raked windshield and truncated aperature. It's not insignificant.

With regards to the seats, yes even the Performante can be spec'd for the electric adjustables. As far as headroom, I'm 6'1 and fit in a Huracan with room to spare.

You wrote: "I think for me the biggest factor in ownership is the sound.....and therefore an NA engine. ...the scream to 9K RPM's is the number one factor for me in a car..."

You aren't crazy at all then for looking to move to a Huracan.

What I think you need to seriously consider too is if there's a possibility you would buy a Spyder... Ignoring that many consider it actually better looking than the coupe :), it really adds to the visceral experience, and hearing that glorious engine & wicked exhaust. At least take one for a test drive. If you are set on the car being a Performante though, certainly opting for the Spyder version would delay your purchase past this year.

22. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric

Thanks for the insight....From my brief talks with 3 dealerships I don't think an allocation will be a problem. Sitting in one and maybe even driving a "regular" Huracan is probably beneficial. At least get a feel for the driving position and view.

A Spyder is not a possibility. My first and last open top sports car was back in 2005. A convertible vette. Maybe I'm in the minority but I do not enjoy open top driving at all.

It's very hard to think about giving up the 458 though.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    I also own a 2014 Italia and a 2015 Gt3. I have also had an itch for a huracan for the same reasons as you. So you are not crazy. I do drive my cars a lot more and even track them, 38,000 kms on my 458 and 25,000 kms on Gt3. At least 40 track days between them.

Since you don't track, a 580-2 would satisfy your itch just as well for much less. Personally I don't like the wing on an exotic i.e. perfomante though I can pass it off as cute on my GT3.

I have so far resisted my huracan itch. I have test driven it more than once. It's only a huracan itch, as I dislike the aventador. Personally I am looking forward to the gen 2 gt3 RS and also the 488 Speciale. In my market I could easily get both at msrp if I decide to own those.

Get the huracan only if you like the pops on the overrun.

24. SpyderBite

SpyderBite Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I think you have your answer then... If you have a Lambo dealership where you can go sit in a Huracan, then you also have a Lambo dealership where you can drive one :). Don't think about selling the 458 until you've driven the "regular" Huracan. At that point you will know for yourself if the Performante is for you or if you're going to stay with the 458. It won't be much of a stretch to imagine what the Performante would be like after driving a 2016+ 610-4 Huracan. (I mention the 2016 as there were various improvements to it vs. the 2015, including improved handling with less understeer).

25. 458dreamer

458dreamer Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Dubai
    Again for best handling 580-2 is the one to get and cheapest too. Closest to the rwd 458. No need for a performante unless you are keen on lap times. You shouldn't get an expensive lambo as they depreciate hard.

Having driven the huracan on track and street, it's pretty decent fun with the NA V10. You just need to like the pops. It's produces a lot of those.