Double impact downunder | FerrariChat

Double impact downunder

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F40-R, Jul 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #1 F40-R, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Nice vid, thanks for sharing - even though it might not be the most objective of reviews :)

I'd choose the yellow without hesitation by the way, both for the colour and for the configuration.

3. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Wow! And I thought I loved my Speciale
    Curious how you got to the 60kgs? Love your enthusiasm for the marque and N/A engines. If you had to sell one which would you keep?

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Very nice!
    I love my Speciale...I agree that it is one of the finest, if not the finest, V8 Ferrari ever made.
    My 16M is more raw...but the Speciale just does absolutely everything better than any other sports car I have driven.

5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great video! My choice goes towards the yellow.

6. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Fantastic video. Thank you for sharing! You can't go wrong with neither, but the Bianco wins me over.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Great vid! Question: Does the white car have an aftermarket exhaust? It sounds a bit different.....

PS - I'd choose the yellow, as it's the color of Modena... :)

8. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    #8 F40-R, Jul 7, 2017
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No need for that imo: leave it as it is now :D

10. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Just wanted to stop in and say thank you for an old video you posted on YouTube, I was looking at countless photos of 488s, but hardly any of them had the standard rims on them, until I came across your set of videos (the fast food video in particular). It really helped solidify my choice of sticking with the standard rims, as they are very elegant and a classic look.

I always tell people, if I had a choice of where to live, it would definitely be Australia, your food standards are above and beyond anywhere in the world. Cheers!

11. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #11 720, Jul 19, 2017
    They both look fantastic! But they'll look even better if you lower them a bit.

I had my Speciale lowered 20mm (front and back) and then a proper alignment.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Amazing Rick ...

Q: front looks lower than the back .... correct ??

13. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks Mel :)

I took my Speciale to a shop in Los Angeles (R3 Motorsports) that handles all of the 458 Challenge cars (and now presumably 488 Challenge cars) for Ferrari of San Francisco. A couple of knowledgeable fchatters (rblissjr and Entropy) highly recommended R3 Motorsports. After talking to the guys at R3, it was obvious they know their business :) I told them that I was not planning on tracking my Speciale, but I was interested in having it lowered a bit mainly for aesthetic reasons :) They recommended that I have them lower the front and back 20mm which they explained would retain the "factory rake". They also explained that lowering the car 20mm was not extreme at all, and they could easily do this by adjusting the shocks (replacing springs was not necessary). They also did a proper alignment after lowering. I am very happy with the results.

14. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan

So Rick, am I reading this right? All factory components with just an adjustment and realignment? So completely reversible?

Do you find it bottoms out or do you have lifter? Cheers.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yellow over white, red over yellow

16. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi Ryan,

That's correct. I normally wouldn't touch anything related to the suspension. But a couple of fchat guys (rblissjr and entropy) with challenge car experience spoke very highly about R3 Motorsports. Rblissjr was very happy with the way R3 lowered his Speciale, so I decided to do the same thing.

R3 explained that lowering a Speciale 20mm (front and back) was easy and was reversible if I ever wanted to raise it. I believe they simply adjust the shocks somehow. They also did what they referred to as "a proper alignment"...I should have asked them exactly what this meant, but I didn't :)

I had this work done when I first got my Speciale, so I can't compare the driving characteristics before and after. But I can say that it drives GREAT (solid, planted, crisp...very snappy), and it definitely looks "more aggressive" lowered. I don't have a lift on my Speciale, and even after it was lowered I have not experienced any problems driving on the street.

17. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Ok, great thanks for that Rick. Something to definitely think about. Hope all is well and you're enjoying a good summer with plenty of nice roads

Ps: I've moved house so 'the garage' is no longer an issue. She's safely tucked in under the same roof as me now. Part of the family