Strange howling gearbox sound when idling | FerrariChat

Strange howling gearbox sound when idling

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by BobMorane, Jul 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BobMorane

BobMorane Rookie

May 24, 2017
    Hi guys, I have recently purchased a 458 Italia from an authorised Ferrari dealer.
    I was always driving with the windows down, to enjoy the motor sound, but since the weather sucked today I closed the windows.

Then I noticed a strange howling sound when idling + a very nervous "bar pressure gauge" + a strange behaviour of the rpm needle when bringing the car to stop.

Maybe someone of you has an idea what this howling sound might be? Is it normal? It's the only 458 I have been ever driving in.

Here the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QQcqqg5a0Q&feature=youtu.be

I appreciate any help!
    Thanks for everything

2. PhantomCypher

PhantomCypher Formula Junior

May 25, 2014
    USA
    That's not good. Maybe the compression is messed up in the engine?

I would take it to a shop to do a Compression Test.

A compression test reveals the condition of your engine's valves, its valve seats, and piston rings and whether these parts are wearing evenly. Healthy engines should have compression over 100 psi per cylinder, with no more than 10 percent variation between the highest and lowest readings.

3. BobMorane

BobMorane Rookie

May 24, 2017
    Well, i took it to the dealer and he didn't even take a look. He said that such sound are "normal" to some extent.
    However, the shop suspected it might be some "belt". So, I am sure if it has anything to do with the engine itself or not.

Before approaching them for a second time I would like to try to get rid of this problem myself.
    A friend of mine was talking about spaying sth on the belt but I neither have an idea what belt that might be nor what spray to use.

I hope you guys can help me with this and maybe point me into the right direction.

FYI: The sound changes when I turn on or turn off the air conditioning.

Thanks for everything and enjoy your weekend!!

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There is some Teflon spray for belts .... but imo ... go to a reliable F dealer fast (another one) !

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I don't know if you have a cable operated tachometer or not, so this may not apply. However, we had a similar noise and tachometer needle flucuation after a service dept squashed the tach cable on the wife's Lightning during a rear seal replacement. From jacking the engine improperly during the repair, the cable housing became smashed between the bell housing and firewall/tunnel. The dealer service dept. couldn't dx it in two or three visits, so I crawled under the car and looked. Immediately found the squashed cable housing as the cause.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It's all digital in our 458's :)