488 GTB Spider trip and impressions | FerrariChat

488 GTB Spider trip and impressions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, Jul 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    #1 458trofeo, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Carissimi, just got the 488 Spider.

Rosso Corsa spec with Giallo calipers.

Drove the car for about 6 hours and am keeping it for the week.

Let me start by saying that I wish I had rented it for less time
    and am already ready to give it back as it feels commonplace and
    lackluster compared to my car.

First impressions, all compared to my car: poorer interior build
    quality, poor throttle response, not so much more torque at least feeling-wise
    and torque only available when turbos spool up, poor sound, floaty handling,
    squeaks everywhere from engine and breaks (perhaps just on this car as it is
    a rental), side scoops look ugly in the rear view mirrors imho.

No one seems to care less about the car, lacking in wow factor.

Quite a depressing experience so far when compared to the 458 series it replaces.

The turbo engine is the problem in my book, it makes the car so commonplace.

As far as the incredible torque and power everyone is talking about, I am amiss
    to have experienced that so far.

More to come as I am meeting a friend with a coupe in a few days and will give
    impressions upon that.

In all fairness though, I am basing my impressions upon comparison with my 458
    which is heavily modded and almost 260 pounds lighter than a stock Italia.

However, my biggest issue is that the car is just as not exciting to drive as an NA
    458 series cars and the main problem is the turbo engine.

The heart of the car is just not as visceral as the NA model it replaces.
    And many would agree that the adjective that is most sought after or related
    to the marque is precisely 'visceral'.

Positive points so far:

The torque when turbos spool up is rewarding and the design, except for the Lambo-esque front
    which become always more so with repeated viewings, is ok.

More to come!
    xoxoxoxoxo

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
  3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    If the 488 represents the future of mid-engine Ferraris, I think its time for me to buy another 458 and keep it in reserve...

Luca used to always say: "If you ask me which Ferrari is the best, I will always say THE NEXT Ferrari...."

The 488 is the first Ferrari for which this statement does NOT hold true. No wonder Luca got out just before this thing launched.... :(

The motivation behind building cars is certainly in process of changing for Ferrari... It used to be more about building 100% out of passion... But now that they are a publicly-traded company, they have shareholders to please as well... And nothing pleases shareholders more than profit.

It is going to be impossible for Ferrari to 100% please PURISTS AND SHAREHOLDERS at the same time, as the motivating factors between these two distinct groups are clearly at odds with one another... To me, it sounds like the 488 is a physical representation of this fact.

4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I think that I just found one more positive point:

You have a Spider, not a Coupe. Which means that the engine is not visible under glass....

So here's the additional positive point: Since you can't see the engine, you don't have to look at those puny/wimpy, cheap plastic plenums. :)

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Interesting impressions.

I have driven both the Coupe and Spider and neither lacked torque, short shift into 7th and accelerate, plenty torque. Should one be short shifting in a Ferrari though....

I just think the bar was set so high with the 458 that any replacement would have a hard time when compared to it.

6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Must have been something wrong with the car you had as the improvements over th 458 are not subtle

7. lamarmotte

lamarmotte Karting

Feb 5, 2014
    France
    I think he drove a 488 spider replica

8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #8 Rossocorsa1, Jul 17, 2017
    Hilarious review. The 488 is an incredible achievement in design and technology (as is the 458). It has been heralded across the globe as a remarkable car and one of Ferrari's finest. There really is no need to bash one car in order to prop-up another. The 458 is fantastic in its own right. Enjoy it.

9. Flo400

Flo400 Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    No. The 458 was fantastic, but coming up so many years later with a 458 that has holes in its bodywork wasn't too impressive. We all know they can do much better. No need to drink cool aid before a review.

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA :) :) :)

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I understand people may prefer a 458 but for me compared to the 488 the 458 is uselessly noisy and is lacking power.
    But I would also never have a spider, so my evaluation grid is different.

I'm not sure why there seems to be this trend on fchat now:
    (some) FF owners bashing the GTC4Lusso
    (some) F12 owners bashing the 812 SF (which is actually ugly, but that's not a so good reason)
    (some) 458 owners bashing the 488
    ... just waiting for California owners bashing the new GT...

12. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #12 Eilig, Jul 17, 2017
    Could it be that Ferrari just isn't producing cars these days that are pleasing to their discerning customers' tastes? Certainly no longer having Pininfarina's involvement leaves a deficit in terms of the design portion of the equation...

One does have a certain level of expectation for any newly released car that wears the badge of a prancing horse, after all.... What happens when that expectation is not being met? Perhaps something like you describe as "bashing"....

13. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    488 spider is a much better choice than the gtb. I actually don't mind the sound when the top is down.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #14 Rossocorsa1, Jul 17, 2017

It could be - in your case. The truth is, Ferrari is doing a masterful job, and virtually everything suggests that. And, I prefer that they design in-house now. It actually adds allure to me. I'm quit sure if the LaFerrari was penned by Pininfarina, its few (very few) detractors would think it is amazing.

Sure, there are some that don't like the 488, or the 812, or the LaFerrari. Some, that is. I'm certain the 275's were likely seen as horrific by the 250 faithful at one time. I'm quit sure that the Testarossa was considered awful by the Boxer crowd. I clearly recall 308 lovers hating the 328, and so it goes. To me, the 458 is masterful, but it was always missing the aggression I desired. So what? That doesn't mean it isn't a great car. They're never going to please everyone all the time, but to suggest that Ferrari is some also rand is frankly humorous.

15. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    488 GTB Spider

who know such a thing existed...

16. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    This is silly. There are a few on here that hold thier 458s and since there is nothing to talk about a 7 year old car they own, they feel the need to bash the latest car. I honestly think this is the equivalent of "fake news". Of course we can all have our opinion but as someone who has owned the various versions (coupes and spiders of the430,458 and 488) there is no question the evolution has been spectacular. 488 is the king for now.

17. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    You compare the 488 with Lola, which is not a fair comparison (National Guard vs Navy Seals). :)

Enjoy Europe!

18. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    ROFL at this review

19. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    same old people

Same old story...

Move on......and leave them to it...

I'm surprised most of you actually fall for there posts, they only do it as a wind up....!!!

Best way to put a stop to the nonsense is stop replying to the posts......

Regards

Michael

Dammm....I've just fallen for it to!!!

20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

This + 10000

21. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Huh, no spider, why live? I personally like the sound of a 458, otherwise drive a Tesla

22. Robert P

Robert P Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2014
    London
    Plus another 10,000.

23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You're right. I'm guilty as charged.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    ...and I drive a Tesla.

And had 458, Speciale and now 488 Spider.

I am stunned how good and loud the 488 Spider is.

But lets be transparent here...Lola is not a normal 458 Italia. It's THE 458 and sounds amazing compared to stock. Not a fair test Carlo! ;)

25. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Don't mean to offend but this has to be a loaded review - I understand; if you have built a bespoke car at great trouble, love and expense you are entitled to be a little partisan. This is a passion after all. And no one can contradict your view about appearance because everyone likes what they like. But can't feel the extra torque?!

You're talking up to 760 through lower gearing v 540 or so with the 458. You absolutely can feel it and I still have a 458 Speciale and a 488. Floaty suspension compared with 458? I don't think so - 488 is far ahead in that respect. Even throttle response, while not at the level of the Speciale, is close to the 458. This is remarkable, given that the other benefits of turbo are also present.

I plan to keep the Speciale, in part because of n/a engine, but let's not pretend the 488 motor is anything other than an absolute revelation.