A quick question for downshift of 458 | FerrariChat

A quick question for downshift of 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by iloveferrari, Jul 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    #1 iloveferrari, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, all,

Just traded in my Cali T handling speciale for a 2015 458. Only 1000 miles. Noticed an interesting observation, so wanted to tap into the wisdom of yours. Thanks. The car and noise is simply awesome!!

I noticed the downshift in the race mode (under auto) is not as aggressive as other cars. Also during the manual mode, it is not as fast as the Cali.

The other observation is that when it does choose to downshift, the rev only goes high a bit and produces literally little noise.

Is this a normal observation for 458?

Thanks! Here's a cell phone pic. Grigio titanio.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    From what I heard the Cali hs has slightly faster shift than the 458.

3. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    In Race mode, the downshifts of the 458 (and 488) are more aggressive, faster and louder if you have been driving aggressively. The electronics have at least two modes within Race, and you trigger the more aggressive electronics by heavy throttle, high revs and hard braking.

Also, while you are braking -- but only while you are braking -- the car will continue to sequentially downshift all the way down to second as quickly as it can match the revs if you hold the downshift paddle in. This produces some amazing sounds when the electronics are in the aggressive mode.

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    First of all: Beautiful 458! Enjoy in good health and wish you many miles of happiness!

I have no indication that the California shifts faster than a 458.

Regarding noise on downshift: if in Auto mode, I may agree. But its sweetspot is manual: there's where all the magic is.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Thank you, Nuno. BTW, I already feel the brake disc, and the fronts are also not as smooth as the back. And I was told they are also normal too. Forgot how your thread went in the Cali section. Did you end up changing the disc?

6. Jackp6

Jackp6 Karting

May 26, 2013
    Now that's car

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    the real question is why are you in automode

8. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Hahaha. I knew it! This question will come. I was on the freeway...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Just keep it floored. The more throttle the better. 3rd gear is your friend ;) ok 4th too :D

10. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Ok? I only use auto when going through a neighborhood with drive quietly signs. Some of the best high rev, kick ass driving occurs on the freeway, for me anyway.

11. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Too true...

After I drove an hour on freeway, I got tired doing paddles all the time !! lol...

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Yes sir I did, I doubt that your discs are anywhere near mine's condition, but anyway you can compare them visually at least:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/552871-expensive-peace-mind.html

How do you like the 458 best? In auto or manual mode? I must confess I'm a manual addict!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    If you want a downshift that sounds like gunshot, you'd need to downshift while braking and pull the paddle and release it very fast, like firing a gun.

14. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    It really depends on the circumstance for which the car was being driven. If you have been feathering the throttle in 7th at 2k RPM on the freeway, and you're approaching a freeway exit, are you downshifting to 3rd or 4th as you're slowing down or are you keeping it in 5th or 6th until the rpms drop to nearly idle before you downshift?

The ECU monitors the way you are driving and attempts to determine if you are truly driving hard vs. in race-mode but cooling down/driving around town.

Try keeping the RPMs up, being a little more spirited in the use of throttle, and downshifting at slightly higher RPMs to see if things change.

15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Ok! Thanks for your advice! Will try.

I actually never thought the grigio titanio will look so nice under the sun. Thank you Ferrari for making such awesome car.